The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Top Gear USA

Anyone watch? A friend loaned me the DVDs and I've been really enjoying it. It makes me laugh more than the UK version does.

Just read on Twitter that season 4 is a go. I'm excited to see what crazy ideas they get up to next.

(And strangely enough, I'm getting interested in Rallycross through TG. I want a go. It's like eventing for cars!)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I do not like the USA Top Gear. Of course I've been watching the UK version for many many years. Hubby is a car guy (and I loved TGUK before meeting him) and he agrees. The US guys just seem very scripted to us. Love the British guys, but maybe I'm partial since I'm British lol.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm British, too. I've also been watching TG:UK for quite a while. I still enjoy it, don't get me wrong. I just like seeing the different things on TG:USA. There's something about it that just makes me smile.

There is only one Top Gear, and it has Clarkson, Hammond, and May.

The US version is a pale, pale imitation

8 members found this post helpful.

Oh, come on. It's not fair to judge it against TG:UK. TG:UK has been going for so much longer.

I was a fan of Top Gear BBC for ages and now I am a fan of both of them! Tanner Foust is just adorable! That boy can drive! I got to meet him at SEMA a couple of years ago, he was extremely nice and went out of his way to meet his fans. I am a car girl driving a Corvette!

1 members found this post helpful.

I kinda wish they hadn't used the same name, so the US guys weren't judged by the UK show. They are different, but I love them both. We've watched TGUS from the beginning and I think it's getting better and better. Those boys are a hoot!
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I did not like the first season at all. There was way too much trying to be JUST LIKE Top Gear without realizing some things work because of the presenters, not because of the format. (I swear at a certain point they were even trying to have the same dynamic between the three and were even at some points trying to ape Jezza's *inflection*...no.) But when they started to drop things that were lifted straight from the UK and find their own rhythm, they got MUCH better.

And while Jezza will always be my homeboy (we even have, by and large, the same taste in cars)...I have to say, Tanner is CUTE. US gets the win for the eye candy.

Tanner blows me away with his driving. I was watching some of the racing and honestly, blown away.

I've seen a few episodes, and when they're trying to do their own thing, they aren't half-bad. But when they re-create things Top Gear UK has already done, I'm gone.

I will admit that Tanner and Adam are sort of cute. Just not as cute as Jezza, Hamster, and Captain Slow.

The USA one is ok. Tanner is a cutie (but such a little $#!&) and Rutledge is...well, Rutledge. He's a super-nice guy IRL. I enjoy the show, but it's a one-and-done; I don't watch them more than once as a rule.

But I LOVE the British one (and I think Hammond is cuter than Tanner). Better dynamic between the presenters (and they are pretty tight; when Hammond suffered a TBI filming for the show , both Jeremy and James said they wouldn't do the show without him). And I love how much Hammond loves Oliver. I can't even think of a favorite episode, because I love them all and can watch them over and over.

I think the US show might get there yet. The UK version has been going for so long the presenters know each other inside and out. The US version just hasn't had the time for that to happen yet.

It's definitely coming into its own. I wasn't thrilled about the first few seasons but I'm really loving this one.

The first seasons of UK Top Gear wasn't that great either
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Love the BBC TG - totally addicted. Didn't get in to the US the 1st season and haven't tuned back in. Maybe I'll try seeing some of you say it's better now.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

DH and I are 100% addicted to TG UK... Jezza, Hamster, and May are unparallelled! We've tried watching TG USA, but it has always felt like a scripted rip off of the UK show.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

I love Top Gear UK, have yet to watch the US version...actually, the BF and I started UK from the beginning, since he would skip around episodes. One of my favorites was when they came to the south, and had to write "offensive" things I their cars, lol.

We will get to the US one, at some point.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    There is only one Top Gear, and it has Clarkson, Hammond, and May.

The US version is a pale, pale imitation
    +1

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão