The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another Truck Question Ram2500 or Tundra

I'm on the search for my first truck and trailer. I can't afford the taxes, insurance, and parking on two vehicles, so the truck will be my daily driver as well as need to haul a two horse trailer (I will be trailer shopping once I find the truck). Given the fact that I need the truck to pull double duty I've been primarily looking at half ton trucks. However, I've run across a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi engine that is within my price range. The Ram is listed at 345hp, 375torque, and a 3.73 axle ratio. I've also found a 2007 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 iForce V8 with 381hp, 401 torque, and 4.3 axle ratio. Both trucks are 4x4 and have just under 50k miles. I'm still shopping so open to other ideas, but if you were to choose between these which would you choose and why?

The 2500 is not a half-ton. Compare the towing capacity of each.

Also have you factored the fuel usage into your choice of having one vehicle?

David

You're trying to compare apples to oranges. Half ton truck vs three-quarter ton truck.

Also impossible to answer the question without knowing what you're going to haul.

But with the info given, I'd choose the Tundra, hands down. Of course, I'll also never own a Dodge. EVERY person I know who drives a Dodge truck has replaced the transmission. Sometimes more than once.

Sorry I wasn't clear...I realize the 2500 is a 3/4 ton. I hadn't considered a 3/4 ton until I ran across this particular one which is in my price range with the features I want. So now I'm weighing the pros and cons of the Tundra which is on the heavier duty end of the 1/2 ton and the 3/4 ton Ram. If the dealer has the correct axel ratio listed for the Ram the Ram has a towing capacity about 1500lbs lower than the Tundra.

As for factoring fuel usage into the thought of a second vehicle...I have considered it, but between taxes on both, tags for both, insurance on both, and an extra $40/month to park the second vehicle the numbers don't work in favor of two.

I'm no fan of Dodge but I promise that everything about the Ram 2500 will be considerably more heavy duty than the Tundra. A 1/2 ton truck is made for occasional light duty towing only. I know there are posters who will disagree with this but we farm for our living and I've owned many, many 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks over the years. It would never occur to me to use any sort of 1/2 ton as my primary trailer tow vehicle.

If I were buying a Ram I'd sure be looking for one with a manual shift transmission for all the reasons the other posters have mentioned.

Personally I'd go with the Dodge - I've driven them since the mid 90's without a problem. My current one (2008 Ram 1500) is at 91,000 miles and it's still going strong. I just took it on last week for its five year checkup - it came with a lifetime warranty so it has to be checked every five years with a dealership - the transmission passed with flying colors - no issues anywhere. I know a lot of people hate Dodge - they did have issues back in the late 90's with their transmission but that has changed - personally I love them. My Ram does have a lot of "heavy duty" parts on it though it is only a half-ton (i'd never pull a gooseneck with it, etc.). It is rated to tow 8500 lbs and has a higer rear-end gear ratio than my previous Ram which was the 2500 and rated to tow 8850.

Last edited by ryansgirl; Apr. 1, 2013 at 05:50 AM.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    . EVERY person I know who drives a Dodge truck has replaced the transmission. Sometimes more than once.
    Hardly. That would be because they don't know how to drive it, i.e., aren't using the tow haul switch. Fleet vehicles two WAAAAAAY more than any average person does and for sure they use Dodge. Mine is just about 200k mi and no tranny problems. Go with the 3/4 ton Dodge, towing is easier, easier on the truck. It would be better still to get a diesel but but even with a gasser, you'll be happier - gearing is heavier duty in a 3/4 than a 1/2 ton.

Total Dodge fan here, just bought my second 2500...the first one is a 95 2500 Diesel 4x2 with 260K miles on it and it still runs and pulls like a top Just bought a used 06 2500 Diesel 4x4 with 70K miles on it and so far, I couldn't be happier (I've put 10K miles on it since December, about half of that long distance hauling).

I would definitely choose a Dodge over a Tundra if you want to tow with it...but the two trucks you are comparing are both gas (I know diesel isn't an option for the Tundra). If you are concerned about costs, the mileage you will get on a 2500 HEMI is going to cost you I think. Gas engines just don't get the mileage that Diesels do when you start making the vehicles heavier duty...and forget about it when you are towing!

So...I would look for a used Diesel if you are going to get a 3/4 ton...and if you are going to tow on any sort of regular basis...I'd get a 3/4 ton!

FWIW, I get 22 mpg on the "new" diesel around town and about 24mpg on the highway, I get 12mpg when towing...and I can't even feel the trailer.
    TPR!
    Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
    www.goodhorse.org