The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but do those Ovations linked here have self-knee patches, or Clarino? I found a description of the side-zips that says they have Clarino, but I can't tell if the front-zips do (looked on other sites, too). I really prefer Clarino. Otherwise, those front-zips look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    oooo i want those!

I just got these
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/devon-a...j3sinvb1dpqqvz
    and LOVE them. They are super comfy for hours, were inexpensive and the elastic waist was comfy and stayed in place during lunch, errands, and the barn/riding. I got beige and graphite but i might send graphite back for dark grey...or just get dark grey.....i haven't decided.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Quote Originally Posted by RiderWriter View Post
    I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but do those Ovations linked here have self-knee patches, or Clarino? I found a description of the side-zips that says they have Clarino, but I can't tell if the front-zips do (looked on other sites, too). I really prefer Clarino. Otherwise, those front-zips look great!
    Clarino.
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Try the Tredstep breeches from Smartpak. I ordered the #3 (cheapest) and #2, and I actually liked the #3 a LOT more. They're wonderful, even on my 5'4 Cuban physique I felt they ran about the same as TS Trophy's, and they have a nice blue color in the front-zip style.

Well, round 1 of the schooling breech hunt was a total disaster. I ordered the Tredstep #3, the FITS Kate, the Smartpak Piper, and the Ariat Heritage Quilted from Smartpak, and they arrived last night. Talk about a letdown....

The Smartpak Piper was probably the closest contender, but the blue color was strange, not like denim, and not terribly flattering. A bit lowrise for my taste - I kept hiking it up.

The FITS were tight, and I'm not sure I liked the way their version of the Euroseat made my butt and thighs look. That said, I've ordered a larger size to see if that changes my mind. But they did seem to run fairly long - I wouldn't think at 5'7" I would have had problems with their sock material down past my ankles.

The Ariat was the laugher of the group - I ordered them in the same size as my TS, and couldn't even get them fastened. Boo Ariat for making everything TINY!

The Tredsteps, I so wanted to love them - the sock fabric is great, the details like the inner button are gorgeous......BUT, they gapped terribly in the waist. Something about the whole lower in the front, higher in the back thing didn't really seem to work out. But I don't think I could wear a smaller size, since they were snug enough in the thighs. I don't know if one of the other styles would fit any better.

*cry* Back to the drawing board. Guess I'll try to order some of the Horze denim breeches and see if they can resurrect my mood. I might even have to give in and pay Dover's ridiculous shipping charges to try a pair of the Competitor II - I had tried them once before, and wasn't a huge fan of the fabric, but maybe I should try again. Ugh. Thanks for all the advice thus far!

Ugh, sorry none of those worked for you I'm 5'8 and a size 32 (a small 32, my weight is mostly in my gut) but I'll give it a shot with some of my suggestions. My issue with schooling breeches comes down to not "what can I get to fit" but more "what can I look good in". For example, a pair of Tuff Rider front zips for $39.99 from Dover go on....but I feel stupid in them because of the belt loop size, zipper placement, wierd tan color, etc.
    Like you, I love my TS Trophy Hunter front zips (mid rise) for fit and find them flattering (actually, the thighs are a little baggy which makes me feel skinny!), but I have an issue with the fabric because it feels slippery in my saddle.
    I LOVE my Horze Silvia Denim breeches. So I wholehearteddly third that suggestion. I think they are close in style/fit to the Trophy Hunter's EXCEPT that the thighs don't have as much room. I wash and dry mine though, so maybe if you line dry them the thighs won't get tight.
    Because I like them so much, I have been toying with the thought of these Horze breeches for the warmer weather: http://www.horze.com/Horze-Grand-Pri...US,pd.html#DDB
    They look to be a similar fit and style as the Silvia denim ones.
    I do not recommend the other Horze ones that are on clearance in Red, I have a grey pair and I lump them in there with my Tuff Rider "wear only when I don't think anyone else will be around pile".
    The other pair I have been considering is these: http://www.horseloverz.com/558385-Eq...---Ladies.html
    But Horseloverz has high shipping and the coupon codes weren't working on certain items so I bagged it.
    So granted, I can't tell you how either of those last two pairs will fit, but they are the ones I found closest to style of what it sounds like you like and thought I would put it out there.

Dewey, do you have the grey denim breeches, or blue? I didn't realize they had grey! I like those!!! Hmm. And though I'm taller, 5'6", I do have that pear shape, too.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I've tried the Equine Couture breeches in the past, and found them to be very low rise. So I kind of steer clear of them.

I just ordered the Horze Silva denim breeches in the dark grey - we'll see how those do.

I used to ride in the Tuff Rider ribbed breeches all the time, but that was before age and cellulite started to take hold - now that ribbed fabric feels a little thin in the saddle, and seems to show off the jiggles a bit more than I would like.

I do wish the Horze site wasn't so darn confusing with their prices - it's so frustrating to see breeches for $80, only to realize that's the one color nobody wants, and the other colors are actually $120.

I LOVED the old Riding Sport breeches -the thick cotton was great for camoflaging lumps and bumps, and I could order a size smaller to get the right fit, and that made me happy too. Now it seems I can't find anything that fits and doesn't make me feel like a blimp. I guess I'll hold my breath and see how the Horze denim breeches do.

I'd like to try Ovation, but can't really find a good retailer that won't cost me an arm and leg in shipping and returns if they don't fit. And for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out the difference between all of their styles. I had a pair of the Slim Secret, but once the back seam in those split, I was wary of trying them again....I had emailed Ovation a couple of times to try to give them feedback about the knee patches fraying and other issues, but they never responded, so that left me feeling kind of yucky about them as a company.

This shouldn't be this hard, should it?

I noticed the Horze denim has a different material blend from they greys to the blue. Anyone have an opinion on which they like better?
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Mine are blue.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I have the dark grey Horze Silvia denim, and the material is similar to a mid-quality stretch jean you'd find in a clothing store. It's a durable weight, but not super soft, which makes me think it might be uncomfortable for hot weather. Right now they're perfect though. Can't speak for the blue denim material. I really wanted a light grey denim pair for spring at the sale price of $55 once I realized how much I liked the dark grey pair, but they sold out of my size by that time

I have the Horze active breeches in brown plaid....LOVE them. They are a bit snug...I'm a 32 in most sizes and I grabbed the 28's so a good ego boost.

I wasn't happy about the cloth knee patches personally but really have been happy with how they allow me to stick and aren't super slippery like some past breeches I've owned...And I've been dealing with a fussy, in season mare with saddle issues so I've been sitting plenty of bucks! (saddle sold...starting the search now for a new one).

I'm tall, 5'10" and find the length perfect, but I do know a shorter friend had to roll hers up. I use a 1 1/2" belt with them when I wear one...but honestly don't really need them I do sorta "roll" the belt to push it through, but it lays flat fine.

The fabric is REALLY nice and thick (might be too heavy for a summer breeches tbh) and really forgiving, I don't even wear no see undies (and see two sizes too small....). I think you'll be happy with them.

KOTD, I used to ride in the Tuff Riders ribbed ones (I still do - my old pairs) and have moved onto Royal Highness breeches. The ones I have are full seat, but I wouldn't hestitate to buy a knee patch pair if I needed to show. They are fabulous, thick enough to hide lumps, and you can find good deals on them online. My latest pair was $45 on eBay but they are also carried at VTO on sale usually...

For whoever asked, my Ovation Euroweaves have clarino knee patches. I know what you mean about the confusion over their various styles, OP. I have the ordinary Euroweaves , like these:

http://www.marystack.com/ovation-eur...FdFT4AodcCYAkg

You might like them. The fabric is nice and heavy. I prefer the Horze I linked earlier because they fit me a bit better and the rise is a little higher. But you can wear the Ovations with a wide belt, which I know you prefer.

These Ovations have a euroseat which you mentioned you wanted:

http://www.123tack.com/ovation-ladie...-breeches.html

They are also front zip; otherwise they look like mine.

Someone linked these Horze breeches above, and you might want to try them. They look more stylish than mine with wider belt loops. The fabric's different, but I have liked both my Horze breeches so much that I'd be willing to bet these are nice. I notice the site says "free shipping both ways."

http://www.horze.com/Horze-Grand-Pri...US,pd.html#DDB
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I love my Tuff Rider. They are indestructible and come in navy, grey, tan, black and white. The only thing I don't like about the white is that they are a little thin. But the others wear like iron. I'm 5'8 and size 34 and they fit great.

1 members found this post helpful.

totally understand your plight b/c i am in the same boat. i like the tuff rider breeches paired with smartpak slims underneath. works to conceal lumps & bumps even in the tan ones.

i wish breech companies would have built-in spanx.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    As another shortie, I agree that they are too long. However, since I wear them under half-chaps, it hasn't been a big issue. I am thinking about getting them shortened, but I may not bother.
    Like how much too long? What size did you order? I'm considering getting these in size 22. I'm a hair under 5' tall. Thanks

Mine are 26. I don't have to roll them up or anything. They reach down over the tops of my paddock boots and bag just a little, and I put half-chaps over them.

Quote Originally Posted by La Chasse View Post
    totally understand your plight b/c i am in the same boat. i like the tuff rider breeches paired with smartpak slims underneath. works to conceal lumps & bumps even in the tan ones.

i wish breech companies would have built-in spanx.
    Ovation's slim secrets are as close as it comes and I personally love them, they're sturdy enough to hide lumps and keep you looking smooth, but it doesn't feel like your wearing 3 layers of parachute paper.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

These are my new go to breeches!
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/equine...x?cm_vc=Search

I was fairly impressed - I am a pear shape as well and for the price I was not expecting much, but they have earned a spot as my favorite schooling breeches. I also own a pair of Circuit Pro's, but these are by far more comfortable and fit better. The navy and tan are listed on Smartpak's website, but I know our local Dover has them in charcoal as well. They are not as "low rise" as I thought, more of a mid rise, which was much appreciated.
    Last edited by justanotherjumper; Apr. 5, 2013 at 08:15 PM.