The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why is it so hard to find schooling breeches?

Sorry, I keep poring over all the breeches threads, but still can't figure out what to do. I NEED some new breeches - I'm down to a couple of pairs of the old Riding Sport breeches from Dover that have faded and stink, but I can't figure out what to get. I'm about 5'7", usually wear a size 34 in breeches (yes, I know, I'm working on it ). Definitely a pear shape. I show in the TS Trophy Hunter mid-rise, which is the perfect fit, except I find the fabric is a little too thin for my liking - it seems to show every lump and bump.

I'd like something similar to school in - prefer midrise, wide waistband, front zip, Euroseat, more substantial fabric that will hide all the "slight" imperfections in my thighs and butt! I have a pair of the Romfh Internationals, but that fabric is also not terribly forgiving either.

I'm even to the point that I'll pay more money to get a good pair of breeches - I ride about 4 times a week, so if I can get one or two pairs that will last, it would be worth it. And, please, not tan - navy or grey or something like that would be great. I can't even bring myself to order from Smartpak, dreading the self-loathing that will inevitable occur when I have to try them on.

Please, save me from crying in front of the mirror! Any ideas? Anyone?

You will love these! They meet all your requirements. The fabric is thick and smooth. They have a euroseat, front zip, mid-rise, and nice colors. The waistband is wide enough for a wide belt. They are inexpensive. Best of all, they are so, so comfortable and flattering on middle-aged me. They are my favorites! My only complaint is that they are a bit long, but that won't be a problem for you.

http://www.horze.com/Horze-Ladies-Ac...,en_US,pd.html
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

1 members found this post helpful.

What's the waistband like? It looks like the older style skinny belt loops? I only ask because all my belts are the wider style, and it looks silly to try to wedge a wider belt into skinny loops.

Other than that, I'm ready to go order some and try them out!!! Thanks!

I just edited my post. The waistband is wider than it looks in the picture. Hope you like them as much as I do. If I didn't already have too many pairs of schooling breeches, I would order another pair.

Just got home and looked at the breeches again. The waistband is not that wide after all. I was thinking of my Horze denim breeches, which definitely have a wide waistband. These are more of a medium waistband.

Everything else I said is accurate, though.
    Last edited by Dewey; Mar. 29, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by KingoftheRoad View Post
    Sorry, I keep poring over all the breeches threads, but still can't figure out what to do. I NEED some new breeches - I'm down to a couple of pairs of the old Riding Sport breeches from Dover that have faded and stink, but I can't figure out what to get. I'm about 5'7", usually wear a size 34 in breeches (yes, I know, I'm working on it ). Definitely a pear shape. I show in the TS Trophy Hunter mid-rise, which is the perfect fit, except I find the fabric is a little too thin for my liking - it seems to show every lump and bump.

I'd like something similar to school in - prefer midrise, wide waistband, front zip, Euroseat, more substantial fabric that will hide all the "slight" imperfections in my thighs and butt! I have a pair of the Romfh Internationals, but that fabric is also not terribly forgiving either.

I'm even to the point that I'll pay more money to get a good pair of breeches - I ride about 4 times a week, so if I can get one or two pairs that will last, it would be worth it. And, please, not tan - navy or grey or something like that would be great. I can't even bring myself to order from Smartpak, dreading the self-loathing that will inevitable occur when I have to try them on.

Please, save me from crying in front of the mirror! Any ideas? Anyone?
    Have you tried the new riding sport competitor breeches? I also fit well in the trophy hunters and really like mine. The fabric isn't bad for the price either.

another one you might like (since we seem to have similar taste and fit) is the kerrits crossover or the irideon classic (only available at dover? For $70.)

I will second the Horze breeches that Dewey mentioned. I just got a couple pairs of them and I really like them. They are cheap, but not cheaply made. And they are long enough. My favorite breeches, though, are Harry Halls. They are so hard to find here (in the USA) - my only pair now came from a used tack store.

Just got an email today from Horze advertising a Good Friday sale with 10% off.

Are you implying that a 34 needs "working on"
    I am quite slender and I am a 34 lol

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't know if you like denim breeches, but there's a really good thread on them with suggestions. Like the OP, I find the fabric on many breeches to be unflattering even when they fit great, due to highlighting every lump and bump. Denim breeches with back pockets are much cuter on me, and are still very comfy for riding.

I'm in love with the Red ones! My trainer would have a fit, but it would be totally worth it.
    ~ Because sometimes you need a rainbow, butterfly, unicorn kitten.

Ovation Celebrity.

http://www.equestriancollections.com...mpaign=ER90390

The taupe looks more like a dark gray. They say low rise, but they are more of a mid rise just below the waist.
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I LOOOOVVVVEEE those Ovation Celebrity Euroweave breeches! They wear like iron. Fabric is substantial enough to do you some favors if you are not a skinny minny. Waistband is high enough but not in your armpits. And less than $100. Try 'em.

I was literally coming on here to rave about Ovations. I love love love them, maybe more than my TS. Yeah, actually, more than my TS. The waist is perfect on them for me, just in between mid and low rise, so it sort of covers the tummy pooch thing I see going on sometimes. They're incredibly comfortable and well worth the price. I would say they hit about a finger and a half under my belly button, maybe two. They've got the same size belt loops as the TS and fit my TS belts.
    ETA: They run true to size. I'm a 30 in a TS, and a 30 in the Ovations.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Default FITS!

I absolutely cannot say enough about the FITS Beka Kneepatch Breeches. They are the only schooling breeches I wear anymore. The rise is perfect, not too high or low, the waistband is wide with large belt loops. I also find that they hold up better than the Tailored Sportsman TS breeches, I ride several horses daily and have had the same few pairs of breeches in rotation for about a year. They are not exactly cheap (comparable to TS), but for how comfortable and durable they are, they're worth it! They are not in number sizes but rather XS, S, M, L, XL. I wear size 30 breeches, 6 in pants, and the Medium fits me well.

Love this thread. Are all of these breeches that have been recommended cut with a smaller waist (or larger hips)? I used to get the perfect heavy-weight, stretch fabric breeches for a pear figure from RTS Equisport in Germany, but since they went bankrupt and changed fabric suppliers, I am afraid to try them as they are not cheap.

I have a classic pear-shaped figure and am 5' tall. I have two pairs of Ovation Euroweaves:

http://www.victorycanter.com/Ovation...Fcqd4AodhysAsg

which were my favorites until recently. They have very nice fabric and are well-made. However, they don't fit me quite as well as my Horze breeches (linked above). The Horze ones have a slightly higher rise and don't bag at all at the waist. I liked them so much I bought a pair of Horze denim breeches as well. Unless the Horze ones are dirty, the Euroweaves languish in the bottom of my drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    I have a classic pear-shaped figure and am 5' tall. I have two pairs of Ovation Euroweaves:

http://www.victorycanter.com/Ovation...Fcqd4AodhysAsg

which were my favorites until recently. They have very nice fabric and are well-made. However, they don't fit me quite as well as my Horze breeches (linked above). I liked them so much I bought a pair of Horze denim breeches as well. Unless the Horze ones are dirty, the Euroweaves languish in the bottom of my drawer.
    The only thing I don't like about the Horze breeches is that they're 2 miles too long (also 5' tall.)

1 members found this post helpful.

As another shortie, I agree that they are too long. However, since I wear them under half-chaps, it hasn't been a big issue. I am thinking about getting them shortened, but I may not bother.

The only thing with the Horze breeches that I can see is the self-fabric knee patches, and the lack of reasonable colors right now. Seems to be a similar problem with the Ovations too, I'd love something other than just black or tan. Which denim ones are you guys buying from Horze? I could get a black pair and a denim pair, I guess......I had a pair of the Ovation Slim Secret breeches, which I loved, until they split down the back center seam, which was mortifying.

But good options here - I'll go check them out - I wish Smartpak had any of these - I hate having to pay return shipping when they don't fit.

These:

http://www.horze.com/Horze-Silvia-De...,en_US,pd.html

Note that the website offers free shipping both ways for orders over $75. I got these breeches for half-price during one of their promotions, but they are nice and worth the full price IMO.

Also, check out the denim breeches thread.

Hope you saw my earlier correction on the belt width for the other Horze breeches. It's not as wide as I thought. The self-fabric knee patches absolutely aren't a problem for me, though. (And by the way--the denim ones have a nice, wide waistband.)