The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What is best for a deep cut?

My 5 year old got his hind foot stuck in a fence. He has a 2 imch long 1/2 inch deep laceration below his ankle above his heel. Beside being in a terrible place to wrap, what ointment has worked for you?

Right now he has a antibiotic cream on it. And I re do it daily.

I also have vetrycin, does that work to heal faster?

Might be a bit late, but I would have sutured this. SSD works well and was what my vet recommended when my 2 year old sliced open his heel bulb from overreaching. We did wrap, but keeping it in place was a nightmare...

Everytime I have a deep one not sutured, I pack it with sugar.
    friend of bar.ka

If it's just cosmetic and doesn't need extra stitches, stall rest, wrapping, etc...

Then I'm a fan of Underwoods with baking powder. Google it if you want to see what it's worked on.

https://www.underwoodhorsemedicine.com/testimonials/

I like to keep lacerations clean, dry, and free of mud, bugs, and other funk. I have very little use for goops and potions on deep wounds.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Below the ankle and above the heel? Unless I'm visualizing it wrong, that's not a hard place to keep wrapped...hard to keep clean if NOT wrapped, but not hard to wrap.

That is a location that can be prone to proud flesh. Not fun.

I have had success with Silver Sulfadiazine creme. Wrapping is extremely important. At the first sign of proud flesh, call your vet.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

You don't want a deep wound to "heal fast".

What I mean is that you want it to heal from the inside out. Often if a deep wound heals too quickly it is healing from the outside in, trapping nasty stuff deeper inside. That is never good.

If the wound is on the pastern it really shouldn't be that difficult to wrap. Just use a triple antibiotic type ointment and wrap it with stretch gauze.

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

The gash is part on the pastern and goes down next to his heel. I have found a good way to wrap it. Unfortunatly I didnt know about it the day it happened, I worked late of course and was the one day I didnt go to the barn, so when I got there the next day it was crusty and swollen. It is now clean and happy, no swelling.

So I dont think stitches would have worked the day after. It sucks because when he walks he is pressing on the end of the gash. Even wrapped as well as it is, I am sure it hurts!

So I am going to stick with the creme my vet gave me, but just curious has anyone had good results with the vetrycin spray? I know it is just glorified bleach, but it seems it would keep it free of infection? Just wonder what would help it heal better. Dont care about a scar just want it to heal properly.

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Update:

I have been wrapping every day.

Today the wound had a tiny bit of proud flesh. I don't think it is too much and hoping that it is finally healing!

Here is a fb link to the picture today.

I sprayed it off pretty good which cause a little bleeding, but from what I have heard, a little granulation tissue is good as long as it isn't taking over, right?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...=photo_comment

Granulex spray works well for proud flesh. I think you have to get it from your vet. Not sure.

My vet clinic always suggests Woundade: http://www.hagyardpharmacy.com/wound...ray-p-788.html

Granulation tissue is part of the healing process- skin can't grow across a chasm. Granulation tissue provides a surface with a bountiful blood supply for the new skin to grow across and close the wound. The problem is that granulation tissue isn't very "smart" so if it gets out of control and raises above the surface of the gap- then the distance for the skin to bridge is even greater. The reason you want to get rid of 3 dimensional proud flesh is not that granulation tissue in and of itself is bad- it's just because you want to reduce the time it's going to take for that skin to get across it.

For as horrifying as that cut is, I think it looks pretty good right now. Keep up the good work!