The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to put on healing wound?

Choice degloved the back of his right front leg back in September, about nine inches long by four inches wide. It's healing well, but I need some sort of "salve" as my husband calls it to put on it. We have been using Aardora, but I can't get that here. He just came home from the trainer (4 hours away), and they were buying it down there. I can always get them to buy some and pick it up when I'm there/have them mail it to me, but it's kind of a hassle with the distance. Would be much easier if I could use something else that would be more accessible.

Any suggestions? I need a combo that can go on an open wound (he still has about 3"x1" that hasn't closed yet) and can also go on the surrounding areas to soften them. He has a lot of scar tissue/stiffness around the wound and keeping something soothing and softening on it really seems to help.

Manuca Honey?

honey

EMT Gel - Fab stuff!!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I would go with Manuka honey too. Higher the active number the better.

Raw honey is really good for healing wounds.

I'd ask your vet. You really need to be putting the right stuff on that kind of would so it heals as nicely as possible. I have 2 friends who have dealt with de-gloved hind legs like your horse, and there was a very specific regimen they followed to get good healing with minimal scar tissue and proud flesh. Good luck...I know it's a real ordeal. I hope your horse recovers fully

amnion?

Thanks everyone! Thankfully, he's already sound on it and we have shown twice already. Unfortunately, honey doesn't work for him as it tends to pull any moisture out of the already-healed part and make it dryer and stiffer. I'm afraid the amnion would have the same issue. Will definitely check into the EMT gel. I may have to just see about getting some more Aardora, even if it is a pain.

PP, you're right. There has definitely been a lot to getting it healed up. My trainers wife has done the brunt of the work, and she's done an amazing job (he was hurt at their place...eight days after I bought him and he was delivered from 14 hours away...sigh).

Silver sufadiazine cream works well. I have used it on horse that I have not wrapped and gotten as good results as those who were wrapped. with the unwrapped horses, I did not scrub or wipe off the area I just replaced any area that were bare with fresh cream. I avoided disturbing the wound.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Silver sufadiazine cream works well. I have used it on horse that I have not wrapped and gotten as good results as those who were wrapped. with the unwrapped horses, I did not scrub or wipe off the area I just replaced any area that were bare with fresh cream. I avoided disturbing the wound.
    Agree with the SSD cream. I think it's Rx only though.

I'm surprised the honey didn't work for you though. Just curious - what kind did you use? Was it processed honey or raw?

I would ask your vet, but something like Neosporin may be a good bet. It will keep the surrounding tissue from getting dry because it is oil based. Not my first choice if the wound is deep, because I think the heavy base will interfere with cell movement needed for healing.
    Currently using that on my dog, who has an angry surgical incision on her elbow that is rejecting internal sutures, per the vet's instructions. It's my go-to for a lot of stuff.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

SSD/ Silver Sulfadiazine will help the wound heal from the inside out by keeping it moist. If the wound is deep, i would definitely want my vet to look at it.
    friend of bar*ka

Have you ever tried Derma-clens? I've had a lot of good results with it.

I would use generic Vitamin A and D ointment or cream (available at any drug store) for the healed portions. Keeps the tissue soft and encourages hair regrowth. Depending on how deep the unhealed section is (probably not deep with a degloving wound) I would probably use it there, too. Either that or triple antibiotic ointment (also generic at drug stores).

You can buy fancier and more $$$ but these creames/ointments work just fine.

-- I have never heard of using honey. I would think that, with warm weather coming, the flies would just LOVE it.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."