The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Other than Rolex?

I know lots of people plan vacation trips to Rolex. Who wouldn't, right? Big name riders and horses galloping over scary fences in a beautiful setting.

Are there events other than Rolex that you plan a vacation around?
    Which ones and why?
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Answer: Any event I'm entered in.
    Why: Because I'm entered, have to take time off, and don't have additional vacation to just "vacation".
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

1 members found this post helpful.

Badminton, for the same reasons as Rolex

Then there is the "competing" vacation. I plan to come out to your neck of the woods this summer for Coconino. I competed at Goose Downs years ago for the "back to back" events and had so much fun! With just one horse I had plenty of time the week in between for sight seeing, shopping, etc.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

It isn't really a vacation, but I do truly love going to Fair Hill every fall (and prefer it, in all honesty, to Rolex).

I know lots of people make travel plans around the two British events, and I can totally see why they'd do that! And my old boss and his gf went to WEG in Jerez, then traveled that area of Spain afterwards. I would be tempted to do that for Normandy if I had the time and funds.

I've been to Badminton, Burghley, and Blenheim during vacations and work trips to the UK. The big events in England are unlike anything in the US.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The Event at Rebecca Farms?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Galway for me. I have Rebecca Farms on the list, but haven't managed it yet. I really enjoyed spending time in Temecula around Galway. I did volunteer, not just spectate. Also, the AECs at Chatt Hills, although there I was volunteering more and there wasn't as much time to hang out/shop etc. I used to do Maui Jim. It had an excellent trade fair and was great fun as a vacation destination with Chicago or even just hanging out in St. Charles.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

2 members found this post helpful.

I went to Jersey Fresh in 2011 as it falls on the week of my birthday every year. That was a lot of fun because we were able to actually walk the entire courses, there wasn't too much of a "crowd," and there were four very full divisions so we got to see a lot of horses and riders. We were thinking of heading up to watch Bromont this year but have decided to push it off to 2014 so I can scope out the 1* course which I will hopefully be riding around in 2015.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

The past two years I went to Fair Hill - I had my young horse competing in the YEH championships Thursday and Friday and decided to stay for XC day. Last year, I ended up having to scratch from the championships because my guy had colic surgery (he is fine now, thankfully) but decided to go anyways with some friends since I already had hotels booked. Fair Hill is a lot of fun - there is good shopping, pretty good food (actually probably better food than Rolex) and the course is quite beautiful. Just be sure to bring rain gear (same can be said for Rolex, I guess)!

Oh, another thought too: I only went to Bromont once as a competitor, but I LOVED it. It is absolutely beautiful countryside, we found amazing food (some burger/beer place in town had the best burger I have ever eaten. Ever.) and the whole area is just so cool. And, I think it is only an hour from Montreal, so you could even visit the city while you are there. It may be slightly less spectator friendly than Fair Hill (maybe less on grounds food, less shopping) but a very fun show none the less.

I can't say enough good things about Bromont. Great event, great atmosphere, and it's close enough to Montreal to pop up for dinner. It's also usually the same weekend as the Montreal Grand Prix, so those who have significant others who are more into cars than horses can ship them up there for the weekend.

There's not much "spectator experience" as Babble says, food and shopping are at a minimum, but the surrounding towns are gorgeous and the pub food is GREAT. We camped nearby, and did the whole three days for I think $350, which included eating out at a bunch of restaurants both in the area and in Montreal, and visiting a honey wine distillery and a couple of small museums.

I've been to Rolex and I would love to go again, but Bromont has it beat all hollow for being able to actually get up close to horses and riders and see the action.
    life + horses
    beljoeor.blogspot.com

Wow, Bromont sounds great. That is on my must-visit list now!
    Rebecca Farms as well. It seems absolutely beautiful from all the reports. Galway, too -- always seems to have great competition there. Richland sounds like it could be a great competition to view as well -- many people use it to ready for the big fall events, so you get to see a lot. What about Texas AEC's this year?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

We'll be off to Badminton. Do this every couple of years to visit friends, see the sights, hit a play in London...go to the trade fair before the jog when you find all the bargains, etc. Also this year, going to Judmonte & checking on a friend's mare to be bred to Frankel. We always have a ball. My husband actually enjoys traveling with a harem: Me and three of our friends. Though he does make a few ritual complaints about it, we know he doesn't mean it.

The Fork is my vacation. Much smaller than Rolex, but since it's the "prep" event, I still get to see most of the top pairs. Plus, it's only 2 hours from home, has a plethora of cheap hotels, and I can usually con a friend or two into joining me. This will be my 5th year going and I! Can't! Wait!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I'd love to go to Rebecca Farms sometime and hit Glacier National Park on the same trip!

Quote Originally Posted by cindywilson View Post
    We'll be off to Badminton. Do this every couple of years to visit friends, see the sights, hit a play in London...go to the trade fair before the jog when you find all the bargains, etc. Also this year, going to Judmonte & checking on a friend's mare to be bred to Frankel. We always have a ball. My husband actually enjoys traveling with a harem: Me and three of our friends. Though he does make a few ritual complaints about it, we know he
    doesn't mean it.
    Not to change the subject, but WOW, I'm impressed that you know someone who's breeding a mare to Frankel!!! What's the mare's name?
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I want to go to rolex solely for the shopping. Unfortunately it's too far to drive for me so by the time I add together tickets, parking, flight, hotel, rental car it completely negates any savings I could have gotten by going.