The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cheaper version of the Sprenger Duo?

New horse loves his Sprenger Duo, but holy is $149 expensive for a bit that he'll likely mature out of as he gets educated.

I know about the Beris bits, but I can't believe nobody has come up with a cheaper, flexible rubber bit? I know the black rubber ones are likely too fat for his little mouth.

Happy mouths are hard plastic-- what I'm looking for is something flexible and narrow, and somewhere less than $80 for one bit. Too much to hope for?

You have to do some real digging, but sometimes you can find a rubber straight bar snaffle that is narrower. I actually have one, but no idea where it came from!

Nathes can be a little less expensive and have a very similar feel.

That being said, why are you so sure he'll "mature" out of it? I LOVE horses that go in a Nathe or Duo. Toby has actually matured INTO a Nathe. And I started a little mare years ago (she's now 11. I had her from 3-6) that went in a variety of plastic and rubber bits before settling into a Duo at about 5. Her rider now rides her in the EXACT same set up I did...Duo with a plain cavesson....she moved up to prelim this spring.

So, anyway, don't be SO certain he'll grow out of it. In my ideal world they stay in them!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm guessing the one you're looking at is the D-ring at that price? The loose ring version of the HS Duo is less than $80 if your horse will go in that style: http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/SDPLB.htm

Bit of Britain also carries a Nathe loose ring for under $70: http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nathe_Lo...Bit_p/0121.htm
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

The only version that is $150 is the three ring. The loose ring is the cheapest at about 80 as mentioned. It's a great bit to have in your bit box, consider it an investment.

VTO sells a thin-ish version of a rubber bit with no metal running through it, just rubber. I don't know exactly how thick it is, but they also carry the Sprenger Duo Dee, and I'm sure their customer service folks would be willing to measure them both.
    http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...Category_Code=

Otherwise, consider doing what people did before these new-fangled bits came along: they used leather bits. eponacowgirl here on COTH is a big fan of those, and she got some nice thin ones from Bedford Tack in Tennessee.

ETA I'm not saying I dislike the Duo or Nathe bits. They're great, and they're more durable than the older rubber and leather bits. But they're pricey, and the older technology is cheap enough that you could buy 5 rubber or leather bits for the price of one Duo/Nathe.

I was in the same situation two years ago when I got my Canter MidAtlantic cutie (Shoes). He loved the the D version of the Duo. I didn't want to spend the money for something he would "grow out of". Well, I finally decided that he was going through enough changes in his life (like a move half way across the country!) and he didn't need a bit change also. I sprung for the Duo and I am glad I did. He is still happily in it and most likely will be for a long time.

It was an expensive initial purchase, but knowing that it was what he liked and that it would not just end up gathering dust made the decision a little easier.

Anyone know how "loose" the loose ring is on the Duo?
    Click here before you buy.

Similar to most loose rings. Maybe not quite as loose, but still definitely a loose ring feel.

Mine doesn't slide as much on the rings as a metal bit might.

ETA: Delta, I am not using mine right this moment if you need to try one.

Alter- I think the loose ring version would be fine. I have ridden him in other bits but he really does prefer the duo. I have a few duo's and nathes in my bit collection. I think either works. I normally do the D-ring version with the greenies if they are wonky in their steering but he is not. It just happens to be the bit set up on the bridle that fits him.

I find the sensitive Tb's really like the feeling of the duo. I got hooked on them when a trainer suggest one for a horse that I had that feared the contact and would rear up if you touched his mouth. It totally transformed him and in the duo he was as soft as butter. I find that they will stretch down into it unlike any other bits so the horses that tend to get a bit braced/short in the neck really do well. If you have a horse that leans or is heavy then it isn't the bit for you.

Most of mine do not outgrow it and I think that is a great thing. I love a horse that is so soft and adjustable that I don't need anything more.

I've conceded to the masses and ordered one...I personally don't love loose rings so I sprung for the D ring.

I bought mine in a tack shop for $75? The rings are not quite as loose as say a kk. But it's a great bit. We're not currently using it as horsey is doing well in Myler, but we did for a while and I'm never getting rid of it, it's awesome to have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    I've conceded to the masses and ordered one...I personally don't love loose rings so I sprung for the D ring.
    I wasn't as crazy about the loose ring version either, I think you will be happy with the D (as will your cute little pony!)

My (not nearly as extensive as Jlee's) experience does suggest that TBs prefer D-rings (or eggbutts, but fixed) over loose rings. I've done the Nathe/Duo, The KK D-ring and on current boy after trying those, got much better stretch into the bit with the Myler comfort snaffle (started with a D, now in a Boucher). I'm guessing that while you said "ouch" when you hit the order button, you're going to be happy for a long time going forward. Looking forward to hearing about him as he settles in with you and makes his eventing debut.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

2 members found this post helpful.