The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

BO needs a slap up the side of the head.

I can't cite chapter and verse, but I would suspect that she would have a hard time in any court, or before any judge going after a person on active duty in the military who has been PCSed. BO also needs to be ashamed of themselves.

I hate greedy people!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    PCS is "permanent change of station." Every one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children (and the rest of the DoD uniformed establishment) can get them. They are usually something that's planned in advance, but not always. The Needs of the Service trump everything else.
    So once you are in the grips of Uncle Sam, he can send you where ever, whenever with no notice for the duration of your commitment? Yowza. Hard to have an adult life that way, huh?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Depends on what you call adult!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    So once you are in the grips of Uncle Sam, he can send you where ever, whenever with no notice for the duration of your commitment? Yowza. Hard to have an adult life that way, huh?
    Short answer: Yes.

When you raise your right hand and take one step forward you've just written a blank check to Uncle Sam for an amount up to and including your life.

Why would you think it's hard to have an "adult" life like that?

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

Have him take the contract to the JAG office. In a lot of states (NM for sure is one of them) if an active duty person gets orders, an apartment and furniture leasing company has to let them out of any contracts that have been signed. It may also apply to things like boarding but I'm not 100% sure but the JAG office will have better insight.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    That would be why it's an all-volunteer military, as they do have a choice about what they're signing up for.

2 members found this post helpful.

OK, taking all the military crap out (sez me, married to military) and breaking it down to just civilian coo-coo-ness:

A boarder signs a contract with a barn, with a 45 day notice clause.

A boarder gives notice that he/she is leaving. He/She is leaving on X day into the 45 days, but is happy to pay the WHOLE AMOUNT.

Barn now says that boarder owes for the whole month that the 45 days ends in, which means that if the 45 days ends on the 5th, the 15th or the 25th of the next month, the boarder will have to pay the WHOLE MONTH.

This is it, simply put. And it's WRONG. BO is being a shit and boarder has the power of his own contract to back him up.
    Last edited by TheJenners; Mar. 29, 2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Typos...again...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    OK, taking all the military crap out (sez me, married to military) and breaking it down to just civilian coo-coo-ness:

A boarder signs a contract with a barn, with a 45 day notice clause.

A boarder gives notice that he/she is leaving. He/She is leaving on X day into the 45 days, but is happy to pay the WHOLE AMOUNT.

Barn now says that boarder owes for the whole month that the 45 days ends in, which means that if the 45 days ends on the 5th, the 15th or the 25th of the next month, the boarder will have to pay the WHOLE MONTH.

This is it, simply put. And it's WRONG. BO is being a shit and boarder has the power of his own contract to back him up.
    well, but being Military, he does not need to shop for counsil....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I never said he does. I said he can say "contract states this, I'm not paying more." Being military has nada to do with it, other than the asshattery of the BO.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I never said he does. I said he can say "contract states this, I'm not paying more." Being military has nada to do with it, other than the asshattery of the BO.
    LOL, true, but they do frown upon when their kind get railroaded, no?

anyhow.... the extra two weeks are bogus...

I think I'd pay the 2 weeks and tell her to whistle Dixie for the rest of it. If BO doesn't like it, then too bad. And, I'd let BO know exactly how many people will know about BO's treatment of a member of the military. Mr SGE must have lots and lots of friends and acquaintences that can spread the word about the way BO treated him. That should "help" BO's business-right? I always let people know what the consequences of their actions will be if they don't treat the customer right! Then it's their choice to behave right or not.
    ~~~~~*~*~*~*~*~
    “ride your own horse” from sayings for life.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IndysMom View Post
    I think I'd pay the 2 weeks and tell her to whistle Dixie for the rest of it. If BO doesn't like it, then too bad. And, I'd let BO know exactly how many people will know about BO's treatment of a member of the military. Mr SGE must have lots and lots of friends and acquaintences that can spread the word about the way BO treated him. That should "help" BO's business-right? I always let people know what the consequences of their actions will be if they don't treat the customer right! Then it's their choice to behave right or not.
    20K close friends right here....

I think there are TWO reasonable options here for this guy...

1. Pay for 30 days notice, not a penny more.
    2. Pay the 6 weeks notice - pro-rated, not thru the end of the 2nd month

He should tell this BO that unless s/he provides written proof (contract) that he will go to the media or alert the base so that other military folk take their business elsewhere.

Or don't even bother requiring the contract, just pay for the notice he prefers and make the threat.

Seriously, WTF, this idiot is essentially blackmailing him because he's forced to relocate on short notice? Forget about supporting anybody who puts themselves in harms way for us. This is taking advantage of the poor guy!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!