The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shavings storage?

Can you please show me pictures of how you store your shavings?

We have been using bagged shavings for the past 6+ years, but they are SO expensive compared to how much you can get with a full truck load. I would like to convince Mr. SSR to switch over, but in order to convince him I would need to show him a convenient, reasonably attractive, not outrageously expensive to build, way to store them.

Thank you!
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Can you please show me pictures of how you store your shavings?

... but in order to convince him I would need to show him a convenient, reasonably attractive, not outrageously expensive to build, way to store them.
    Here's a video of our famous (infamous?) Sawdust Cathedral: http://<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid228.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/ShotenStar/Sawdust Cathedra lCompletion/SawdustCathedralCompletion.mp4">

If you don't want to watch the unloading process, skip to the 3:45 and 5:30 min marks to see how the roof panels work. (I made this video for distant family members who couldn't quite wrap their brains around what we were building.)

Cheap? Sort of .... this is version # 4 of the cathedral. We have worked on it over the years to address various issues related to water linkage, rotting, etc. But we were able to buy the materials and do the work ourselves.

Reasonably attractive? Mostly. This version has roofing shingles on the sides that match the house / barn roofs, so it blends nicely. But it's BIG. It holds 1,350 cubic feet of sawdust.

The biggest issue with storing bulk sawdust is that you can not easily push it to any great height ... it wants to spread out. So you end up with a storage building that has a fairly large footprint. You also need to allow for access for the delivery truck, so a driveway and turning space for a big box body truck are needed.

We went with the 'missile silo' roof design because we didn't want a 16+ foot height building on the property - the height the truck would need in order to back in and unload. A bit of a pain to handle, but we get a delivery once every 14-16 months (only bedding 2 very neat horses), so we round up a son and deal with it.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

For us, we decided having a dedicated building or space to store shavings was not the best option. SO took a small 4 x 6 trailer we used around the farm, and converted it to a shavings trailer. The lid flips over for loading, then locks back into place for travel. To unload, the back door or gate folds down in two portions, first the top for when the trailer is full, then as it empty's you can fold the bottom portion down. It cost us about 40 bucks to fill the trailer about 5 miles from our house. Best part, if we have stripped the stalls and need to fill them, we can hook the trailer up to the four wheeler and just drive down the barn aisle filling as we go. I love it! Sorry, not the best pictures as they were taken with my phone.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/47214250@N02/8599569661/
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

3 members found this post helpful.