The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leasing a pasture

If you were to lease a pasture, aprx. 8 acres, 60ft long by 12 ft deep 3 sided cinder block shelter, 4 rail oak fencing, plenty of grass, what would you charge?
    The farm has plenty of ride out and indoor arena, large outdoor arena? The pasture would hold anywhere from 4 to 6 horses.

TIA

I would set a limit on the number of horses to be pastured there and be able to enforce it. Who will be responsible for maintaining the pasture? I'd say if you had 6 horses grazing on 8 acres, then there is going to be some need for lime, reseeding from time to time. I'd also want to address picking the pasture, if that seems necessary and fly control issues. The access to the amenities also adds to the price.

One concern I would have is that leasing a pasture if self-care board. Who is going to be responsible for feed and HAY in the winter? Personally, I would charge a field board rate per horse and discount slightly if you have one person/family with multiple horses.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Its for a trainer that is leasing a barn from me. She needs extra space other than what goes with the barn.

Maybe check with some local farmers to determine how much they lease acerage for? Enough to cover the property taxes is pretty much minimum.

Around here you'd pay $100-$200 per horse for that setup. I paid $425 to rent a pasture with similar for 3 horses.
    Y'all ain't right!

I'd think no less than $100/horse, around here (SE PA) you'd probably be looking at $200+ for self-care field board with access to an indoor. Can you look around for comps? If you're already leasing the trainer stalls, I'd think between $50-100 less per field horse than stalled horse.