The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wanna be foster failure!

My home owner's agreement has a strict two dog max policy otherwise this girl wouldn't be going anywhere. I am going to have to violate the COTH must have pictures policy for right now as the Mom and her pups are sort of in the protective custody for the moment. As soon as that changes I will bombard you with pics!

Anyway, Mom is a pit mix as are the babies. I picked them up yesterday from a kill shelter. They are about two weeks old. The mom whose name is Lux but I am calling Bessie because she looks like a dairy cow with udders that practically drag on the ground is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met. She has a sterling temperament. We are working on getting her housebroken so I can give her a little more freedom. Any Marylanders looking for a dog, you can't go wrong with any of these. I can forward you the adoption info and pictures privately until the ban is lifted.

Puppies have gone from dragging themselves along a tiny bit to actually crawling with their bellies almost all the way off the ground in just one day! Not sure if that is just a matter of Mama getting proper care and nutrition or if they really matured that much in one day. This is about to get a lot more labor intensive!

Our neighbors have what I think is a Pitt mix. She is the sweetest dog. When we were having work done on our house a year ago she would come up every day to inspect the progress. It was hysterical! Changed my view on Pitts, definitely.
    "Hi, I'm here for the day. How ya doin? Need a hug? There ya go! Now I'll check on the work crew, say hi to your dogs, and ignore the cats. Don't mind me, I know you need my expertise......Oops, five o'clock--gotta go, see you tomorrow!"

I really hope we can find this girl a home. It would be heartbreaking if they put her to sleep after all she has been through. She is such a sweet dog. She has been around my dogs and cats and has shown absolutely no aggression (or interest) in them. I throw the ball and my dogs chase after it while she just has a confused look in her face. Tail wagging the entire time though. She is doing ok with her housebreaking. I have her in a very small area in the bathroom knowing she won't pee or poop on her puppies and it is working. Hopefully that will translate to not going anywhere else in the house once she gets access to a bigger area. I did find out that my carpet cleaner is broken however. Definitely need to go buy a new one today to clean up the remnants of discovering she isn't housebroken.