The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

"Shut your face"

That was my favorite line.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

2 members found this post helpful.

What a bunch of maroons!
    Erin and
    Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

No matter how badly you want to help people/ save them at some point they have to have personal accountability.

I lost a two childhood friends to riding related TBI's. Both were fantastic riders , savey with the worst sort of horses. Both were on their steady's when the accidents happened. One passed away 20 years ago and was barely an adult was riding her retired boy out to pasture along the drive way he tripped she slid off and hit her head she had passed when her sister found her.

The other was trail riding alone on her safe horse , he came home without her and the neighbor noticed and went out looking for her. Her family removed her from life support 3 days later. That was her second TBI she fell off a young horse and was in a coma for almost a week a few years prior.

Sometimes it is their choice to live and die as they choose. As far as minors are concerned I think it should be illegal to ride without one. They can't be depended on to make solid choices about their own fate.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

3 members found this post helpful.

What the...?

Seriously?
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

1 members found this post helpful.

"If seatbelts was so good they would be on a school bus. "

Seatbelts & Helmets = Darwin's Tools

OP - PLEASE do NOT venture to Lucky Acres. No good will come of it.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ako;6908829[B
    ]But, but, but... The Lucky Acres nitwit says their horses aren't wild!! [/B]

If - oops, when - someone does get hurt, their little page with pictures of kids without helmets will probably make for some nice evidence for the prosecution. Poor safety practices and all...
    Sounds like they have been practicing their Parelli method.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

3 members found this post helpful.

I consider myself to be a helmet nazi but your outburst was ridiculous. You came across as a babbling lunatic who couldn't be taken seriously regardless of the topic at hand. I make it a practice not to do "business" with people who don't share the same philosophies as I do, so just move on. I won't donate to a horse rescue who advertises their horses with helmetless riders for example. Not your problem so let it go. Darwin is driving the bus anyway unfortunately.

10 members found this post helpful.

I read the thread and it was so weird and disjointed that I could only think again ... are spelling, punctuation and grammar not taught in schools anymore? I think the internet is killing the correct usage of the English language. God knows, I've always been a horrible speller but I try. The internet has made be lazy, too, but so many people on FB don't even seem to make an effort to come across as halfway literate. (I was an English major and when I go back and read some of my posts I'm all , btw!)

As for the helmet thing I have to say the OP would have pissed me off, too, coming across like she did. She may be right but calling people stupid and irresponsible rarely gets the result you want. Honestly, it's really not your place to point it out anyway. Stupid people do stupid things. It's sad but true.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

4 members found this post helpful.

I have to wonder what the OP and some posters on this thread hope to produce besides smug self-congratulations. It sure isn't an increase in helmet use. I mean, who wants to listen to or emulate a judgmental twerp? Nobody.

If I sound disgusted, I am. You're doing a fabulous job of convincing people *not* to consider wearing a helmet, which is a disservice to everyone in the riding community.
    ---------------------------

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    I read the thread and it was so weird and disjointed that I could only think again ... are spelling, punctuation and grammar not taught in schools anymore? I think the internet is killing the correct usage of the English language. God knows, I've always been a horrible speller but I try. The internet has made be lazy, too, but so many people on FB don't even seem to make an effort to come across as halfway literate. (I was an English major and when I go back and read some of my posts I'm all , btw!)
    OMG, yep. I have gotten into some interesting convos with folks on some FB pages over punctuation and spelling. Now that I'm older, I have retype a lot of what I type, my fingers don't hit the board the same as when I was 30!! So, I don't understand why others can't reread most of their posts and fix them. But I've been called elitest and smug and know-it-all, all for spelling a (hopefully) correct punctuation. Finally, I came up with a response of "If I have to sit and suss out what you're trying to say, taking time in other words, then you can take the time to make your post readable." Actually, that shut most of the nay-sayer up. Some folks cleaned up their act and got downright readable on the get-go.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    I have to wonder what the OP and some posters on this thread hope to produce besides smug self-congratulations. It sure isn't an increase in helmet use. I mean, who wants to listen to or emulate a judgmental twerp? Nobody.

If I sound disgusted, I am. You're doing a fabulous job of convincing people *not* to consider wearing a helmet, which is a disservice to everyone in the riding community.
    YES! For some reason people think FB pages are discussion forums. Most people would have just blocked the OP. If you don't like what someone posts on Social Media, FB, you are best to just move on.