The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

I find it hard to believe that you honestly think you are being a constructive part of the solution by posting what you did the way you did to that page, so I have to wonder... what were you hoping to accomplish by your rant there? Your very worthwhile message has been completely lost in the way you presented it, and whatever (slim) chance you had of making (presumably) complete strangers change their ways is lost by making yourself seem like a ranting "random jerk."
    <><

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    I'm more appalled that they're breeding.
    In every sense.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

5 members found this post helpful.

"Stupid is as stupid does" Forrest Gump

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    And no one has been hurt yet? Hard to believe.
    Well, I don't know if you call it karma or what, but, after moving into my neck of the woods and seeing all SORTS of horse handling practices which truly take the cake now that anyone can learn to train from a DVD, I've come to realize something is protecting the handlers from the ER. *Sorry for the long sentence*

I mean, through the decades, I thought I had pretty well seen some incredible horsemanship, and not in a good way, but, there are some spots, where your jaw will drop. Back in the day, we didn't have the net and cell phones where we could ring or look up something quickly or get on a board such as this to get horse info. We actually had to handle the horse and depend on things like 4-h and Pony Club. But, folks nowadays don't have that 'excuse' and should be able to look up how to do XX with your horse....but they don't. How some horses have survived, I'll never know. How some of these handlers have survived, I'll not know that one either.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Stush, I have to say on your fbook, although you are wearing a helmet, perhaps criticising someone and then having a photo of you sitting on a horse's butt isn't the best, or bareback no bridle with presumably no helmet under the santa hat?

I'm not wild on "Stables" photos, but you do need to make sure you are squeaky clean before getting at someone else.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    Stush, I have to say on your fbook, although you are wearing a helmet, perhaps criticising someone and then having a photo of you sitting on a horse's butt isn't the best, or bareback no bridle with presumably no helmet under the santa hat?

I'm not wild on "Stables" photos, but you do need to make sure you are squeaky clean before getting at someone else.
    Oh, snap.

3 members found this post helpful.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Double snap. Wonder if the original folks being griped at know about THIS. On the plus side, I am happy to see the saddle pad tucked up into the gullet and not pulled down over the withers. That is the stuff which drives me nuts. The tight blanket/pad over the withers.

Ouch on all accounts you are correct.... I have quite a few questions that have been sent my way, I believe I stated earlier that I did not put much thought into the way I came off to them and had posted from a raged public run away stance than a please let me educate you in private to prevent hurting your ego; stance which would have been more effective. Therefore, I did not honestly think I would be helping them in anyway but that I may just make people question their judgement and pick a different stable.

As for my not so squeaky clean image, yeah I'm busted. The pony was a random pony some friends had me ride in an attempt to re-home and they wanted to know exactly how much stupidity the pony would put up with so I obliged. I was indeed ready to tuck and roll but he "seemed to be" essentially bomb proof while standing still. As for the christmas card I think that's actually pretty funny, I did make an attempt to stick the hat on my helmet and it wouldn't fit then everyone that was there started giving me crap and essentially told me to "just get on the freaking horse and sit there already!" and how I needed to be less of a helmet nazi bla bla bla and I was like I just hate being on her without a helmet! ugh and hopped up. so that's the background on that....

I know I screw up, but I still hope that maybe they'll be all mad and ride with a helmet anyway.....

(Quoted OP from Facebook) "I hate to be a totally random jerk, but it boggles my mind that you have a 4-h club as well as pictures of children riding horses without helmets on your farm... this is idiotic beyond my ability to fathom. It is ridiculous and irresponsible of an adult to let anyone under 18 near a horse without a helmet on let alone ON one. I don't care how good old or nice your horses are you are risking these child's lives and future well being. Maybe you're uninformed? this is the first link that came up when I googled fatality statistics, hopefully they'll shed some light on the situation. http://www.riders4helmets.com/catego...onal-articles/

"I hate seeing eight year old children getting kicked in the face by twenty year old nags and then needing multiple facial re-construction surgeries just because someone was stupid enough to think it would be ok just once... don't let something fun ruin someones life.
    http://www.riders4helmets.com/catego...onal-articles/
    www.riders4helmets.com" (end Quote)

You attacked them...called them idiotic, ridiculous, irresponsible, uninformed and stupid. I wonder why they are not receptive to your message? Not that they didn't earn those names but you could have possibly gotten your message across without all the name calling and possibly have gotten a better reception. You know....catching more flies with honey and all that.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Gone riding it's a peeve of mine as well... no tight pads on the withers for me, I'm surprised no one has complained about the tacky bridle set up of that pony yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stushica View Post
    Ouch on all accounts you are correct.... I have quite a few questions that have been sent my way, I believe I stated earlier that I did not put much thought into the way I came off to them and had posted from a raged public run away stance than a please let me educate you in private to prevent hurting your ego; stance which would have been more effective. Therefore, I did not honestly think I would be helping them in anyway but that I may just make people question their judgement and pick a different stable.

As for my not so squeaky clean image, yeah I'm busted. The pony was a random pony some friends had me ride in an attempt to re-home and they wanted to know exactly how much stupidity the pony would put up with so I obliged. I was indeed ready to tuck and roll but he "seemed to be" essentially bomb proof while standing still. As for the christmas card I think that's actually pretty funny, I did make an attempt to stick the hat on my helmet and it wouldn't fit then everyone that was there started giving me crap and essentially told me to "just get on the freaking horse and sit there already!" and how I needed to be less of a helmet nazi bla bla bla and I was like I just hate being on her without a helmet! ugh and hopped up. so that's the background on that....

I know I screw up, but I still hope that maybe they'll be all mad and ride with a helmet anyway.....
    Well, at least you had the [stalls] to own your own screw-ups. I can respect that.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

Actually, I don't have a real problem with either picture because this is stuff I've always done. Good on you for 'fessin' up!! Lesson to everyone, think first then post and make sure you can withstand the scrutiny yourself!

BTW, the horse in the Santa picture, cute one!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I guess the saving grace there^^^^ is that she's wearing a helmet. Come on. Most of us have learned our lessons the hard way. I know I have learned a lot from doing it wrong previously. I also know that no matter how hard I drill the better or safer way of doing things to my dh and dd that it just won't sink in as well as a hard lesson learned. At least the mandatory helmet rule at our house is one the kids follows all the time

Quote Originally Posted by HorseKrazy View Post
    I guess the saving grace there^^^^ is that she's wearing a helmet. Come on. Most of us have learned our lessons the hard way. I know I have learned a lot from doing it wrong previously. I also know that no matter how hard I drill the better or safer way of doing things to my dh and dd that it just won't sink in as well as a hard lesson learned. At least the mandatory helmet rule at our house is one the kids follows all the time
    I had a mandatory helmet rule as well despite getting away with riding my pony at a gallop with a lead-rope as a halter/ bridle in the middle of nowhere, (where were my parents?) It was something I did begrudgingly until my pony tossed me in front of my big brother and I cracked the helmet and got pretty shaken up, I most likely had a concussion but was too scared to let my parents know I got hurt so I just played it off as a freak helmet malfunction and when I got my new helmet they never really had to remind me after that, I just was pretty oblivious that it would actually happen to *me* on my pony who loved me... thinking you'll never come off a horse that "loves you" Is terrible logic.

Also, I have to admit I cringed when those pictures were taken, Between the sloppy barn clothes and inappropriate boots I was like dear gosh I hope no one sees these! (whoops)

And thanks for the compliment on the christmas horse, she's such a diva and will love the compliment.
    Last edited by Stushica; Mar. 29, 2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Extra random words...

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post

Agreed....I remember an old saying about people who live in glass houses ought not be throwing stones. If you are going to post a helmet rant on the internet you had better make sure your own house is perfectly spotless.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

2 members found this post helpful.

Hey, the weather is getting great, it is far too nice to be messing around on the internet, Who cares what everyone else does, Let's go ride!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow... You were out of line. WAY out of line. Whether you like it or not, it's not illegal to let kids, or anyone, ride without a helmet. While I doubt this place is all that great or knowledgeable, you can't go running down every po-dunk stable like that. That's why they are po-dunk, they aren't all that bright but it's THEIR thing. What was the point in calling them out like that? The way you said it they definitely won't change anything. All you managed to do was make yourself look crazy and humiliate this person. If I were you I'd feel like a total jerk.

I'm all for safety, and I respect the helmet nazi's views, however, I don't always ride with one, and when I was growing up I NEVER wore one. I was careening around the farm in a gallop saddle all day long and I survived. Nowadays I do try to wear one even when it isn't required (thank you COTH helmet nazi's for getting me to remember to wear one more often ;-) ) but I don't live in fear.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

4 members found this post helpful.

I think you also came off to harsh for them to listen but you know that and have admitted it. That said omg the mouth and disrespect on that 15 yr old. She takes up for the one lady to leave her alone. Th either lady takes up for her then to leave the 15 yr old alone and that CHILD spoke to an adult back the way she did. I'm sorry but if that was my kid speaking to any adult like that, well let's say it wouldn't be pretty. I think there maybe a whole lot more thano helmets going on here. A blatant disrespect for elders is appalling IMO and that's what's wrong with the youth of today.
    Anyways, like it or not they don't have to out helmets on their kids. My child rides in a helmet and a cross country vest. Lol. Call me paranoid but even at the few dressage shows she did I got an ok for management that she could wear her vest or she wouldn't be showing. I try everything i can to protect my child and myself. My dh doesn't wear one but he's a big boy and I can't make him just like these parents but he would never put our child up on a horse without one.

Also I love how the mom says they just ride in the barn and they only walk and they stay beside them, so no need for a helmet. Ok sounds like a beginner pony ride to me but then she says they also ride bulls. Lol. So I find it hard to believe if they are riding bulls that they only walk with parents beside them on the horses one and omg I hope to God she puts helmets and vest on them for the bulls.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Waaa--aaaal: If that whole kerfuffle is an example of what Facebook does for one's business, pretty glad I fly under the radar.

I don't think it's anyone's business who doesn't ride there, or want to, what their preferences are in attire and practice.

As in, MYOB if it doesn't concern you. Crusading do-gooders mostly inspire resistance.