The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    It really is sad that a rara sisterhood thinks it can take over every board/thread on the internet and then try to have dissenting views banned! Face it, there are many people who know the truth behind some of these rescue groups. When some of your favorites are held up the light, they crumble and the people quit or retire!
    Hey JSwan...I think 7arabians just called you an RARA!!!!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Hey JSwan...I think 7arabians just called you an RARA!!!!
    That made me laugh so hard I peed my pants a little.

Yes, I am a member of PETA.

People Eating Tasty Animals.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    That made me laugh so hard I peed my pants a little.

Yes, I am a member of PETA.

People Eating Tasty Animals.
    I will say, anyone messing with our elected Queen of COTH is going to be creamed.
    She holds the office on merit and it is not her first rodeo.

Back on topic, I think that the word "rescue" today is not referring to what it used to be, but has to be questioned up front before taking anyone's word for it.

I don't know about this group, but it seems that there is some controversy with it, especially believable if they are involved with the HSUS in any way.
    The HSUS is a group we do have enough information on how they operate and it is not with a light hand.

All I know is that they took in a lot of starved TBs from a definitely BAD rescue and went way beyond what almost anyone would do--and pulled it off. They get a lot of congrats and applause for that from me.

As for HSUS, I may not agree with a lot of things that they do, but they do at times do some good things. The Three Strikes Ranch situation in Nebraska is something I won't ever forget (and they also did take a lot of the wilder mustangs off to their rescue ranch in Texas where I assume they are all doing well).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    All I know is that they took in a lot of starved TBs from a definitely BAD rescue and went way beyond what almost anyone would do--and pulled it off. They get a lot of congrats and applause for that from me.

As for HSUS, I may not agree with a lot of things that they do, but they do at times do some good things. The Three Strikes Ranch situation in Nebraska is something I won't ever forget (and they also did take a lot of the wilder mustangs off to their rescue ranch in Texas where I assume they are all doing well).
    Well,I know plenty of stories where their "help" was conditional with being able to use the information in the stories for their propaganda and the ones in the spot giving them the spotlight, etc. so they could further their anti-animal use agenda and had all that free publicity from those situations.

A certain hurricane comes to mind, you can google for that and get an ear full.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Well,I know plenty of stories where their "help" was conditional with being able to use the information in the stories for their propaganda and the ones in the spot giving them the spotlight, etc. so they could further their anti-animal use agenda and had all that free publicity from those situations.

A certain hurricane comes to mind, you can google for that and get an ear full.
    LOL, it doesn't even have to be agreed upon for HSUS to use a situation for it's own fundraising! There are many, many shelters and rescues around the country that cringe whenever HSUS gets a bead on something they are working on.

HSUS is well known for swooping in for a photo op, and then disappearing. Unwitting locals send in donations to HSUS, thinking that money will go to the local organization dealing with the issue and HSUS laughs all the way to the bank. Their "help" was never asked for or agreed to, and yet there they are. It is almost like they can smell the money making potential...kind of like a shark being able to smell a drop of blood from miles and miles away.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    LOL, it doesn't even have to be agreed upon for HSUS to use a situation for it's own fundraising! There are many, many shelters and rescues around the country that cringe whenever HSUS gets a bead on something they are working on.

HSUS is well known for swooping in for a photo op, and then disappearing. Unwitting locals send in donations to HSUS, thinking that money will go to the local organization dealing with the issue and HSUS laughs all the way to the bank. Their "help" was never asked for or agreed to, and yet there they are. It is almost like they can smell the money making potential...kind of like a shark being able to smell a drop of blood from miles and miles away.
    Sheilah
    Like that's something unique? In case you haven't noticed, every politician from President down to dog catcher got their photo op and quote on TV in regard to the Newtown school shootings and still are. From whatever side of the aisle. I don't think 10 people on the street could have told you the name of the NRA head before that, but they sure know it now! Traumatized tiny kids dragged around the country to sing at the Super Bowl, exploitation much???!! Bet there was a mighty fine ratings uptick for all that 24/7 endless coverage, too . . .

Don't think ANYone has any shame when there's tragedy to be exploited.

3 members found this post helpful.

When I was going around asking for donations for our local shelter, many would say they had already mailed it in.
    Since we didn't get anything, we finally had to explain that those HSUS, ASPCA and such they were mailing money to are not your local shelter and don't use that money for other than to support their mammoth associations and it's costs of running it and their animal rights extremist propaganda and lobbying.

If they wanted to really help animals directly, maybe they could think to support the local efforts to do so, where the money was going 100% to the shelter, no one penny used for other.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sheila's going to "bare" it? OK so if everyone else does, so will I for donations for the Days End horses. Although Chad Ochocino was the best looking PETA poster, in my opinion.

"Bare" with us, 7arabians?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    When I was going around asking for donations for our local shelter, many would say they had already mailed it in.
    Since we didn't get anything, we finally had to explain that those HSUS, ASPCA and such they were mailing money to are not your local shelter and don't use that money for other than to support their mammoth associations and it's costs of running it and their animal rights extremist propaganda and lobbying.

If they wanted to really help animals directly, maybe they could think to support the local efforts to do so, where the money was going 100% to the shelter, no one penny used for other.
    This is what I thought till my local HS peep told me differently. I don't think the whole town is quite convinced of it yet, there are all the ads on TV saying 'send $$ to us!' After reading here and doing a bit of Binging, only the local HS. But I do wish they'd change their name to something else. It's confusing if you're not right up there with all the correct info. Which is hard enough to get.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    This is what I thought till my local HS peep told me differently. I don't think the whole town is quite convinced of it yet, there are all the ads on TV saying 'send $$ to us!' After reading here and doing a bit of Binging, only the local HS. But I do wish they'd change their name to something else. It's confusing if you're not right up there with all the correct info. Which is hard enough to get.

the pound or 'The Organization'?

(as for the latter: fat chance! that's their bread and butter!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazadetbmare View Post
    Sheila's going to "bare" it? OK so if everyone else does, so will I for donations for the Days End horses. Although Chad Ochocino was the best looking PETA poster, in my opinion.

"Bare" with us, 7arabians?
    Oh, snort! In my case, those donating would be attempting to keep me from "baring" anything.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    'Do as I say [you should] not as my own rescue does'.... that thread is a classic!

1 members found this post helpful.