The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Director of Days End Farm Horse Rescue RETIRING

Wow, I just heard that Kathleen Schwartz-Howe (Founder/executive director) of Day's End Farm Horse Rescue is calling it quits!
    What's up with this?

I am looking for verification of a letter I received. In it she states she is retiring...now I wonder??? Does she have to move off the property and take her daughter with her? With the bravado of the "new" facility she was bragging about on COTH not so long ago...kinda makes you wonder..

Is it time to leave before the lawsuits are finished in their filing process?

Is she going to join HSUS as their official spokesperson for equine control?

She and her husband started DEFHR after fiiling for bankruptcy in the family electronics business...and yes..they most certainly learned how to make money and salt away a large pension anuity. He quit DEFHR and went to work for HSUS.

She has been a major spokes person for their vision. However she has also participated, or so it is alleged by the court case HSUS and DEFHR ////..... LOST

after possible fraud resulted in their loss...

I am sure it will all unfold. I wonder how much her pension is....I wonder if IRS makes that available.

The timing certainly raises red flags. Who will fight for the horses now? There must be more to this story. Time will certainly tell!

If memory serves, defhr had recently moved to a new, larger facility. My attention was piqued because they mentioned that in their search, they needed to find a property that had a house, because Kathleen would need some place to LIVE! So, the generous donors to defhr also had to pay for her living quarters. Sounds like one of those deals we've heard about before, where personal life/501c3 life get too intertwined? How do they untangle someone whose only support appears to be the charity itself?
    Storm clouds are forming over Maryland. Could it be that some are already running for cover? How does one go from 'we're just in it for the horses' to 'I quit' when defhr is clearly facing its biggest challenge of all time?

1 members found this post helpful.

Is Analise (their spokesperson) AWOL or MIA?

Get a life, you two.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

19 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Get a life, you two.
    Sic 'em, Swan-ee!

But their life is hate and hate some more. Why come on a horse board and be anti-everything horse? There are good rescues and there are bad rescues. People who know this rescue say it is good. People don't have to wear sack cloth & beg for alms on the street in order to run horse rescues.

So to what rescues do 7arabians and fairfax donate? The grumpy old men rescue? Jumping on a cother who had to rehome her saddlebreds was really bad.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazadetbmare View Post
    So to what rescues do 7arabians and fairfax donate? The grumpy old men rescue? Jumping on a cother who had to rehome her saddlebreds was really bad.
    Here ya go!
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...n+horse+rescue
    Sheilah

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazadetbmare View Post
    Sic 'em, Swan-ee!

But their life is hate and hate some more. Why come on a horse board and be anti-everything horse? There are good rescues and there are bad rescues. People who know this rescue say it is good. People don't have to wear sack cloth & beg for alms on the street in order to run horse rescues.

Get a Life?

That is what DEFHR, HSUS, GG and Paradise tried to take from a lady.

They printed hate, used hate to garner donations, lied and allegedly partook in an attempt to engage in fraud...

They all claim they were only acting FOR HSUS...but they were acting for their own wealth creation..hence the embarrasing outcry at the trial.

They put in print, and in blogs, comparing the person to a child molestor, a murderer Jeffry Dalhmer, Hitler and anything else they could

When she didn't have any money and was struggling to get a public defender they made sure they verbally abused and humiliated her outside of the court room.

DEFHR worked behind the scenes to make secret agreements to disperse select mares to certain breeders

Defhr and others worked with the Equirey and Maryland Horse Council to create what ever problems they could for her to STOP her from attaining qualified legal counsel.

Get a Life?

DEFHR didn't even get their income tax in until we started to lean on them.

I have worked in rescue going back to Rex Ellsworth in California and Bentwood Arabians in Texas.

Those were two very high profile rescues and that is where I learned rescue protocol. I support some rescues on a work by work condition.

I have worked in the past and have rescued and helped place over 100 American Saddlebreds and it is well documented how we made the program unique.

Jumping on a Cother who had to rehome her saddlebreds?

Did you bother to check and see how many agreed with me. We KNOW the person. It would appear you don't.

I am not anti everything ..... I am anti HSUS, PETA, Animal abusers, Illegal Seizures

Interesting..there is a group on here who have gone after other rescue groups and continue to try and involve me in their hate towards ARM...I have donated on a farm rescue by farm rescue....They have their problems..and so do many other rescues. The difference...they are not out to destroy the horse owner.

Sheila has a grudge to bare and that is her problem. It was a friend of hers who was involved in the previously mentioned seizure...working with DEFHR. Her buddy was also turfed off the AHA committee after certain things came to light.

The Schwartz's have made sure their pocket book is padded...I am just working on finding out how much padding. Considering her salary was $80,000 PLUS all expenses including living expenses...I am wondering what her rumoured consulting fee is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    Thank you! Ah yes, the "charity begins at home" motto for fairfax!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Sheila has a grudge to bare [sic]and that is her problem.
    I think her problem is that you have a grudge to bear.

It is an old tune. And a stale one.

Go out and do something fun for a change.
    -Rudyard Kipling

10 members found this post helpful.

Okay, putting supper in the oven to heat and veggies in the micro for same. Get me a nice drinkie in one hand, I'll be all set for how this plays out.

I'm already confused about who did what. Still, going to wade in and hopefully enjoy some reading. I finished a good book today and need something else for the moment.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

JSwan, how dare you question an innocent conversation between two innocent folks? C'mon. They're just making conversation. In front of 15k of their best friends.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I think her problem is that you have a grudge to bear.

It is an old tune. And a stale one.

Go out and do something fun for a change.
    If you were a little more aware you would know that Sheilah was asked to quit tracking me forum by forum and thread by thread as she would only come on,,, attack...and disappear...I was listed during Robin Vess case on the ARM website as the "international" whatever...we all know how good titles are.

I have never met Terry but I have spoken with her on numerous occasions and one time was to tell her to clean up her own act and get her accounts in order. I have no say in anything ARM does or doesn't do.

Sheilah, again, is very aware of that however it doesn't make for salacious reading unless she tries to make it sound like I am on the BOD for ARM...NOPE...never have been and never will be...I do not solicit donations for them...never have and never will however I did donate some books for their auction one year after they saved a group of arabians and were down to the last few to get them into homes.

I have not been connected with any rescue good or bad in any "management" position...except when a Saddlebred gal from Arizona and I worked so hard to get ASB's into training homes. We did...very successfully.

As for fun...I have lots of it...however operating a commercial kennel keeps one at home along with the many Saddlebreds...but I will try and take your advice

But for me to let up on DEFHR, HSUS and other groups of their ilk...Nope...I will continue to dish it out

Go ahead and keep dishing it out.

You do realize no one is listening, right? And those that do just do it to egg you on? You're being baited.

Just thought I'd point that out. Any credibility you might have once had is long gone. It's one thing to be opposed to what groups like HSUS et al really stand for.

It's quite another to become so obsessed with your hatred that you can talk about nothing else.

But go ahead - keep blustering. Eventually you'll screw up so badly you get banned.
    -Rudyard Kipling

13 members found this post helpful.

It really is sad that a rara sisterhood thinks it can take over every board/thread on the internet and then try to have dissenting views banned! Face it, there are many people who know the truth behind some of these rescue groups. When some of your favorites are held up the light, they crumble and the people quit or retire!

I've supported DEFHR for over 30 years. I think they do an incredible job. Their administrative expenses, including Kathy's salary and benefits, are amongst the smallest percentage in the non-profit industry. Do you know it's not a crime to work for a non-profit and take a salary. I don't know how much Kathy's salary is, but I'd be pretty willing to bet if you added up all the hours she spends working, it's a lot more than the standard 40 hour work week. Whatever gripes you guys have about her and DEFHR are misdirected, and sound very personal, like jealousy almost. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear Kathy is retiring but I hope there is going to be someone to keep it going.

11 members found this post helpful.

Are you taking up a collection for a gold watch?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by anita m View Post
    Anyway, I'm sorry to hear Kathy is retiring but I hope there is going to be someone to keep it going.
    Transitions like this can be difficult, with non-profits in particular. Hopefully DEFHR will have a smooth time of it. With so many bull sh*t "rescues" out there, it is even more important that the good ones remain operational.
    Sheilah

Just for the record, I have never been contacted by COTH regarding Leo Maxwell/Fairfax. I have never been asked by anyone to "leave him alone" or in any way change my posting habits. Ever. I wonder where anyone could have gotten that impression?

In point of fact, I have actually publicly agreed with him. I notice that he didn't have a problem being "stalked" in that case. But, whatever.

Someone publicly asked a question and I publicly answered it. Not surprising, given that this is a public BB.

Now, back to the topic of this thread.
    Sheilah

2 members found this post helpful.