The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kitty with blood in urine

This is a bit of a story, so bear with me. We're looking for some stone we haven't turned over for Mica (16 year old longhair female)

In late October of 2012 Mica went in for a tooth extraction and routine blood/pee work prior to surgery showed blood in her urine. Put off extraction to do more blood and urine work, which all came off completly normal and exceptional for a cat her age. No obvious organic cause. After speaking with our vet, she suggested that it was stree related due to Tally having died a few weeks earlier. Come back in two weeks for another check. (Mica had spent several weeks looking and crying for Tally, lost weight, clearly mourning. We had originally planned to have Tally euth'd at home so the kitties could see her body, but that didn't work out)

Next check a few weeks later: still blood in urine. Bloodwork and urine normal. No abnormal litterbox habits. Run additional blood tests (liver, thyroid, etc)

December, STILL blood in urine. Put her on kidney food, supplement with wet food, reduce protien intake. January check, STILL blood. Send her to a specalist for sonogram/ultrasound/radiogrphs. He does her whole belly from sterum to tail, nothing. Vet suggests a round of predinsone. During this time 2 more urine/blood tests and normal.

We just finished 4 weeks of predinsone and STILL blood and STILL no organic cause we can spot. We've been watching her like a hawk for months to spot any littlebox habits, nothing. Her behavior is normal. She's clearly slowing down a bit (she's 16) but she gives us no indication that she's got anything physically going on.

Our vet is consulting with another specalist but she's out of ideas. Does the collective wisdom of the COTH have any suggestions? This is my husband's heart kitty.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Have you tried kitty cosequin? It can be quite useful for cystitis, and it's pretty inexpensive...certainly worth a shot.

Also, how is the urine being collected? Any chance there's an issue with cystocentesis technique? Have multiple vets found blood?

1 members found this post helpful.

How much blood? If it's just a little, it could be from the cysto collection, as mentioned above.

We've had several vets and all get blood. We're not clear on how much blood but we've been told "cloudy and obvious" upon expression. I don't know what that means exactly.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

I assume they've looked at the urine under a microscope and/or have sent it out to check for crystals/stones and not just using the urine strips/UA machine.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    I assume they've looked at the urine under a microscope and/or have sent it out to check for crystals/stones and not just using the urine strips/UA machine.
    Yes, they have looked at it under the 'scope (I asked) We were told it was obvious the urine was "cloudy", but under the scope they couldn't see any sort of crystals (which was what they expected to see)

I would agree with the cystocentesis question. If she has some sort of inflammation going on it could increase the blood from a cystocentesis. Up to 1+ is normal, but I would assume all the different vets would know this. Being on prednisone should of taken care of the inflammation though. Have they ever done a free catch just to compare and see if there is blood in that? Although of course a free catch on a cat is a challenge. I assume with ultrasound and everything else they have ruled out stones, crystals etc.

My mom's cat had bladder stones when she had blood in her urine and ultimately went under the knife to get them removed.

Does her blood work or USG suggest kidney damage/disease?

Hope you can find the cause.

I would check and see if they have done a urine culture and sensitivity.
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by littleum View Post
    Yes, they have looked at it under the 'scope (I asked) We were told it was obvious the urine was "cloudy", but under the scope they couldn't see any sort of crystals (which was what they expected to see)
    They should be able to see actual RBCs and/or WBCs under the scope. Cloudy without crystals doesn't automatically mean blood. It could also be protein casts or bacteria. Have all of the UAs been done in-house? I would consider asking for a laboratory UA and culture just to be safe. The lab would quantify the number of blood cells they see, as well as any other sediment. I wonder if the clinic isn't looking at the sample under a high enough magnification...

Has she been put on anything other than the prednisone? I am not seeing you mention any antibiotics, but my reading comprehension may be off.