The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lightning and building question

We have friend who is building a small shed for his horse and pony. It will set at the top of a hill out in the open. I've been trying to get him to consider relocating the shed on lower ground. Am I wrong to be concerned about possible lightning strikes? There will be no electricity or plumbing in the shed. If I am correct about possible lightning strikes, and someone could point me to a website that explains it, I would appreciate it. I can't seem to get him to understand that without electricity/plumbing there is no ground for a lightning strike.

If he won't move it, is there anyway to ground the shed? We live in an area with a lot of t-storm activity.

We had our run-in grounded with wire and a long copper rod inserted/pounded into the ground. I would probably google that or ask an electrician. Sorry I don't know more but that might get you started.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

I have my run-in shelter in the lowest spot on my property with plenty of taller trees about 100ft from it. My run-in took a direct hit about 5 years ago So the theory of tallest thing doesn't always hold true. There is a lot of information about lightning behavior (or lack thereof) on the internet.

I looked into lightning rods after that and the information regarding the benefits are variable and confusing! If you do put them up it is imperative they be done correctly or they could actually be a detriment.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Quote Originally Posted by willowmeadow View Post
    I would appreciate it. I can't seem to get him to understand that without electricity/plumbing there is no ground for a lightning strike.
    Assuming the electrical panel's ground as a protection against a lightening bolt is not a great idea as the panel's wiring insulation is only rated to 600 volts.

Usually, but not always, if cold water plumbing is extended to this building it most likely would be installed in PVC piping which is not conductive.
    Last edited by clanter; Mar. 29, 2013 at 06:19 AM.

FWIW, my horses never stand in the run-in during rain storms. They stand in a group in the field moving their backs to the wind. We live in an area that gets lightning strikes. Both the house and barn have good lightning rod protection. I don't bother with my sheds. The horses only use them in the summer and always go out in the storms. I agree there is always going to be a risk of a horse getting hit or a shed getting hit. One way to mitigate the risk to carry insurance on the shed and the horses.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com