The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ac4h rescue

Just wondering if anyone has ever rescued anything through this org. In PA???
    Last edited by QuillcoteFarm; Mar. 28, 2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Title

I think you have two rescues mixed up
    Last Chance Ranch
    And
    Another Chance for Horses

Your correct, just fixed that

Oh no, train wreck coming.

some people have had great success buying through AC4H.

Others do not like it that she sells horses and deals with the kill buyers.

So use your own judgment. Any horse who is saved from the trip of Canada is a lucky horse. So decide if you want a horse, and if so, get it. If you don't want to deal with buying one from Christy or the buyers, then look at CanterUSA.

3 members found this post helpful.

choo choo choo choo scccccrrrreeeeeccccchhhhh bang clash smash fiery flames soar to the sky, metal twisted, welded together. the screams the screams the screams aaaaahhhhhh

10 members found this post helpful.

OMG the truck is coming...

K, as rescue, not sure.
    as broker - for a horse you could have picked up from the sale yourself - some had dealt with her with no complaints.

search the forum, we wrecked many trains over this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

My only complaint about AC4H is that I can NOT figure out what is actually going ON there! It sounds like she is soliciting funds from people who pay a portion of the price the KB sets for the horse, but those people do not expect to own that horse. Then other people, who fill out an application and are "approved" can then adopt a horse that others have paid for. Do I have that right?

I am all for anything that prevents a useful animal from shipping to slaughter. I have no problem with KB or "Brokers" buying horses cheap *really cheap" at New Holland and then making a profit by reselling them. Again, anything to keep them from getting on the truck ride from hell to hell. After all, if a person doesn't want to pay the higher price, all they have to do is go to NH themselves. If they don't want to go, then it's only fair to compensate the KB or Broker for their time and expenses.

I have never donated to AC4H because as I said, I don't really know for certain how it works. However a good friend of mine called Christy directly and gave her a wish list for a draft/draft cross. For less than $500 Christy found and arranged a private sale between an Amish farmer and my friend. She is extremely pleased with the horse Christy found for her.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

1 members found this post helpful.

I had a good experience with them.

Some people don't.

They seemingly are saving horses from going to slaughter. Some people seem to have a problem with the fact the AC4H and kill buyers make money along the way.

Maybe it is better that the kill buyers lie and cheat people out of their giveaway horses telling them they will give them a nice home then turn around and sell them for slaughter which is what happens around here.

I don't agree.

I do think Christy should be more crystal clear about what she does and how she does it. I think that would help her reputation.

JMHO

2 members found this post helpful.

This thread kind of brings to light what makes many nervous about alot of the horse rescue groups. Horse rescues have become the fastest growing 'business' in agriculture.
    What is the difference between Gentle Giants bidding on a big draft at the auction and a KB bidding on the same horse? They both try to purchase the horse for the lowest price possible.
    EXCEPT: When GG makes their purchase, the funds are Tax-Deductible!!!!!!
    They both have the same goal: Purchase the horse.
    But the KB is at a big disadvantage since his monies are not tax-deductible.
    If a horse trader bids on the same horse, their goal is also the same as GG's. Get the horse at the lowest price possible, throw some training/food on it and then try to resell it, hopefully, at a profit.
    In this scenario, the horse trader is also at a disadvantage since his money is also Not tax-deductible.
    In the end, if a usable horse is saved from possible slaughter, it's all good.
    But many are questioning why the rescues receive 501c3 status for doing the same as kbs or straight up traders.

I haven't, and I wouldn't, based upon what I've read and seen on the AC4H webpages, Facebook, and their email list group.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I have had a good experience with them. No complaints and I do hope they are able to continue to do what they do. I think the overall premise with AC4H and working with the KBs is "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer." They do have a working relationship with the KB that is mutually beneficial. They keep as many horses as they can from going to slaughter and the KB makes a profit (which is all they want in the end - regardless of what happens to the horse). A lot of people don't agree with this and wished AC4H would take an anti-KB stance and attempt to shut them down. But the people at AC4H have found that this arrangement keeps the lines of communication open and actually allows them to help more horses than to try to intercept horses that are being silently shuffled off by the KB. They do protect the identities of the KBs to keep the RaRa's from driving them into hiding the horses that they buy for slaughter. A lot of people don't like it, but it's a working model for all parties involved. And as with any horse business - there are going to be bumps in the road and some negative feedback but overall, I do feel that Rick and Christy are doing the best they can to try to keep peace and help the greatest number of horses.

4 members found this post helpful.

pros and cons, as in any situation.........

I acquired several horses, a few years ago, from the "rescue" , not the broker owned............it was before the broker owned leg of the rescue really got rolling, and one had to deal directly with the broker, and I wasn't sure how to handle it......

speaking for MYSELF, and my experience ONLY..........I got great horses, at a great price, from the rescue.........I found the people easy and pleasant to deal with, and they even took a pony we had and re-homed him through their rescue.........no, I didn't get a discount on the horses we adopted, and it took quite a while for my pony to find the "right" home, and they worked with him while he was there.........nothing about the horses was mis-represented, UNLIKE many sellers out there, which is why I ended up with a pony that didn't suit us..........

so, for me, it was a positive experience...........................now tht they are bigger, it seems the broker owned section gets all the focus, and things are handled a bit differently.......no opinion on methods, money, etc...........
    I agree with previous poster who said that saving a horse from kill buyers is a good thing.

in before the lock....it's a bit early for wine, but I'll go ahead and get a bottle chilling

Based on the abundance of negative experiences, I wouldn't use them.

She should just come out and say she's a broker, not a rescue. I have no
    problem with people wanting an adoption fee for a horse to cover expenses,
    but in my experience she doubles the kill pen price on the horses and does
    not even get a coggins on them, basically just feeds them a few days
    until their ride comes and gets them. It's up to the buyer to pay the
    additional fees that the vet charges for that.

i did in January of this year. i had never heard of them before, but a friend got 2 from them a year earlier and is happy. So we rescued a 6 yr old appy. He is not very good on the ground, for handling, but very good under saddle. we are working with him, he had been neglected but he is starting to trust us. I am happy with our purchase, but i would not advise anyone without years of horse experience to dive into this. you need to know what to look for i the very brief videos that you see. you can find a diamond in the rough. But you can also end up with heartbreak.

this is our ac4h project

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...psd887a309.jpg

My pony is ac4h horse. Love love love her. Was advertised as being smaller and younger but I figured she couldn't be as small as they said from her video(shes 10.3 hands instead of 7hands and is5-7yrs instead of 3).

They didn't put a kid on her so I didn't know what I was getting but turned out she's trained and is great for my kids. I've had other people want to buy her from me but she's a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by morgansnmind View Post
    My pony is ac4h horse. Love love love her. Was advertised as being smaller and younger but I figured she couldn't be as small as they said from her video(shes 10.3 hands instead of 7hands and is5-7yrs instead of 3).

They didn't put a kid on her so I didn't know what I was getting but turned out she's trained and is great for my kids. I've had other people want to buy her from me but she's a keeper!
    And is long as you're OK with a horse not being as advertised, well then I guess it's OK. Let the buyer beware. I do take offense at the idea that they are a rescue, however.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Laura,
    Morgan is happy with her purchase. Why would you say such negative things? How is ac4h acting any differently than Gentle Giants?

Or are you saying that you object to someone calling Gentle Giants a rescue also?