The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    The moon?

I don't follow.

From what I was told, the trainer in the video was questioned by police and he said that it was a training technique he used. Now, we all know that most law enforcement people aren't necessarily the most horse savvy and they believed his story. This video has bugged me for the last week and I have been racking my brain to try to think of any situation where it would be an appropriate and effective training tool. So far, the only situation is the one wireweiners outlined - but the horse was not shocked with it.
    cops should have tazerd him: How's that working for ya!

gawd, really?

mankind is doomed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The moon?

I don't follow.

From what I was told, the trainer in the video was questioned by police and he said that it was a training technique he used. Now, we all know that most law enforcement people aren't necessarily the most horse savvy and they believed his story. This video has bugged me for the last week and I have been racking my brain to try to think of any situation where it would be an appropriate and effective training tool. So far, the only situation is the one wireweiners outlined - but the horse was not shocked with it.
    It's a joke.. Full moon, Crazies!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    It's a joke.. Full moon, Crazies!
    Crazy trainer or crazy me?

Generally, my overall attitude about horses and horse people are "Different strokes for different folks." I grew up boarding with an old cowboy type who would use some techniques that have been discussed here on COTH with controversy and I've always read them with a shrug. The barn owner I grew up with was an incredibly quiet man but he had the BEST behaved horses. And he accomplished this with some very old school methods but I never once saw him beat, scream at or deliberately hurt horses. He could explain to you what he was doing and why he was doing it. I just don't see the "why" here.

Crazy trainer or crazy me?
    you know.....

if you have to ask if you are crazy.......

just sayin......

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Do quarterhorse race trainers use them in the starting gates?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    you know.....

if you have to ask if you are crazy.......

just sayin......

Hey now! LOL!

I didn't watch the video, that sort of thing turns my stomach. But IMO no cattle prods are absolutely not a legit training tool. If it takes THAT for you to get the point across to the horse, get a new job and pet rocks. Seriously wtf.

Are cattle prods a training tool?

No they are a pain infliction tool. Translation: sadistic.

If any think this could be a useful or acceptable tool in any other than moving seriously dangerous stock through a series of chutes when they are stuck and you are out of time (aka bad management to begin with), they need to think again; and again; and again.

Until they can come up with a more intelligent way to train anything.

Why would you even ask?

Quote Originally Posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
    Are cattle prods a training tool?

No they are a pain infliction tool. Translation: sadistic.

If any think this could be a useful or acceptable tool in any other than moving seriously dangerous stock through a series of chutes when they are stuck and you are out of time (aka bad management to begin with), they need to think again; and again; and again.

Until they can come up with a more intelligent way to train anything.

Why would you even ask?
    Having used a hot shot to move and load cattle, I have to disagree with your characterising them as a pain infliction tool. Used properly, they are no more a pain inflicting tool than a whip. The key is to use them properly, which is a short, quick zap to startle the cow into moving. Cattle have thick hides and sometimes a whip doesn't faze them. They also won't move down a chute or load into a trailer just because you ask politely. So the judicial use of a hot shot makes moving them quicker and more efficient and saves wear and tear on everybody, including the cattle. However, overuse has the opposite effect and as Goneriding says, just makes them mad and puts them on the fight, particularly if they have Brahma blood, IME. I wouldn't use a hot shot as a training device for a horse as horses have thinner skin and are more sensitive than cattle. I might could see using one to load a horse in a stock trailer in an evacuation type scenario, like the wildfire/flood is emminent, horse has to load NOW and is being difficult. The hot shot would be my last resort.