The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cattle Prods as a Training Tool???

Someone posted a video to my facebook timeline of a local horse trainer/dealer using a cattle prod on a horse. The horse is saddled, loose but at a dead stand still in the middle of the arena. Trainer walks up to the horse and uses the cattle prod on the horse's flank. Horse flips over backwards and lands quite violently. It's a disturbing video and I'm very confused about what the purpose of this action was. Do cattle prods ever have a legitimate use with horses?

No, they don't. What on earth was this "trainer" and I use the term loosely, trying to accomplish by doing this?

Poor horse.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Someone posted a video to my facebook timeline of a local horse trainer/dealer using a cattle prod on a horse. The horse is saddled, loose but at a dead stand still in the middle of the arena. Trainer walks up to the horse and uses the cattle prod on the horse's flank. Horse flips over backwards and lands quite violently. It's a disturbing video and I'm very confused about what the purpose of this action was. Do cattle prods ever have a legitimate use with horses?
    if they do, not in the described context....

rather odd.

(It wasn't that gal that gets off on whipping horses, having found a new toy?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

In my opinion, the "trainer" is someone to keep a distance from for reasons other than just his training techniques. From my experience, he tends to deal more in beginner horse people that don't know any better. I'm not a professional trainer so can't speak either way on certain training techniques, their purpose and the strengths/weaknesses of each. Watching this video just left my heart aching for the poor horse. If I was confused, he must have been too.

In answer to the question, I can't think of one.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

In my opinion, the "trainer" is someone to keep a distance from for reasons other than just his training techniques. From my experience, he tends to deal more in beginner horse people that don't know any better. I'm not a professional trainer so can't speak either way on certain training techniques, their purpose and the strengths/weaknesses of each. Watching this video just left my heart aching for the poor horse. If I was confused, he must have been too.
    Using a cattle prod on a horse really sounds like abuse to me... any way you can report the guy?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I have heard that some use them to teach a horse to come out of the bucking chute.
    New to bucking horses freeze when the gate opens, so they buzz it a few times and then use it.
    After a time or two, horses learn to jump out when the chute opens or someone buzzes one.
    Doesn't always work, some horses just freeze and those are then not shocked again, but quit being used for rough stock.

The reason they don't use shocking but the odd time is because they won't buck properly if that is how they come out of the chute, which defeats the purpose of them learning to come out to buck good enough for rodeo.

I don't know any other time anyone uses a hot shot on a horse.
    I do know that cowboys use them on each other, have seen them do so.
    Give a human any kind of a stick and watch out.

I've heard of them used on show hitch draft horses to make sure that the horses, especially the leaders- are ready and willing to step out strongly at the word go. Also on pulling horses- which is illegal in competition- but would not surprise me at all in training.

1 members found this post helpful.

That vid was awful. To me it looked like the dude was using it as some kind of twisted entertainment.

Shame it wasn't clearer, and that the authorities won't do anything about it.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Other than bucking stock, I can't think of anything else it could be used. I don't think it should be used on horses, period. Never saw the point of it.

If you want to p*ss off a mama cow, use a prod a whole lot. That'll do it. I've seen them come over the top of chutes to get any person standing in the way. They don't care if you're holding the prod or not, they are just ragingly, blindingly mad.

This is one case, anyone uses one on my horses, even little Short Sh*t who doesn't do what he really doesn't want to do, will get you seriously hurt.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Well I did once use a "dead" hot shot to poke Bruno when he didn't want to load. It worked. The stock whip wasn't making an impression on him but a quick poke with the end of the hot shot made him jump right in. The batteries were dead, so no electricity. It was a situation where I really needed to get him loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Well I did once use a "dead" hot shot to poke Bruno when he didn't want to load. It worked. The stock whip wasn't making an impression on him but a quick poke with the end of the hot shot made him jump right in. The batteries were dead, so no electricity. It was a situation where I really needed to get him loaded.
    I really see no problem with that. Big difference between poking a horse and shocking it, especially in a sensitive spot like their flank.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

http://video.ak.fbcdn.net/hvideo-ak-...02ce5b99c21fb1

Here's a link to the video. Be warned - someone says a cuss word when the horse flips so NSFW if you have speakers.
    Last edited by Snowflake; Mar. 28, 2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Warning

http://video.ak.fbcdn.net/hvideo-ak-...02ce5b99c21fb1

Here's a link to the video. Be warned - someone says a cuss word when the horse flips so NSFW if you have speakers.

I wish he would strap a rocket booster to his racecar.....
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

That video appears to show a completely pointless piece of work. Cannot for the life of me think of what that was supposed to accomplish.

Have heard of dressage trainers who used a cattle prod. Know of one who got into a lot of trouble because of it.

ETA: google "cattle prod horse training" and most of what comes up is some pretty sorry training methodology....

I was thinking, bucking stock, but even then would that be a last resort (do they use the electronic trainers like they have for young bulls?)

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    That video appears to show a completely pointless piece of work. Cannot for the life of me think of what that was supposed to accomplish.

Have heard of dressage trainers who used a cattle prod. Know of one who got into a lot of trouble because of it.
    Singular trainer, please.

This is a 'hey y'all, look at that' deal it seams....I want to hold his beer for a spell....anybody got some rufies?

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    My thoughts exactly which is why I had to ask. Maybe there was something I wasn't seeing...

I still say it's the moon!
    Sorry, but what self respecting horse person who even think it ever okay to use one. Training? really?
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I still say it's the moon!
    Sorry, but what self respecting horse person who even think it ever okay to use one. Training? really?
    The moon?

I don't follow.

From what I was told, the trainer in the video was questioned by police and he said that it was a training technique he used. Now, we all know that most law enforcement people aren't necessarily the most horse savvy and they believed his story. This video has bugged me for the last week and I have been racking my brain to try to think of any situation where it would be an appropriate and effective training tool. So far, the only situation is the one wireweiners outlined - but the horse was not shocked with it.