The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Self-Made Wooden Tack Trunks?

Does anyone have any pictures of their self made wooden tack trunks? Me and my father are going to undergo a this project together and we have a design in mind but would love to see how everyones turned out

I think we are going for a bandage lid option because I find that wraps are what take up a huge portion of my trunk and modeling ours after SmartPak's wooden trunk.

So lets see yours! Any and all options, not just one with a bandage lid!

Never built one, though I'd like to. Have you seen this site?

http://elitetackdesign.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

These are a few that DH built as gifts. I couldn't find all the pictures so I don't have one of the big truck with logo and hardware and such on it. The Itty Bitty trucks were for a friend's girls so they could have their own place for their stuff. The blue trunks are plywood with oak trim, the bit box is all pine. Trunks are really pretty easy (and inexpensive) to build as long as you keep things square while you're cutting and assembling.

Thank you both! I have seen the first site and we went through it and discussed what we did and didn't like.

Shakeytails- they are beautiful! I am even more excited now! I've wanted one for years and I'm so thrilled to be getting one, especially one made by my father.

I've built a couple. No pics though. They're just basic tack trunks.

A caution about bandage lids. They are very heavy, so make sure you plan out your hinges and lip openers carefully. Also consider how you will affix the bandage rack to the lid so that you dont have a bunch of nail holes visible from the top of the lid when it is closed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
    Never built one, though I'd like to. Have you seen this site?

http://elitetackdesign.com/
    I so want to build one of these for home storage!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

A bajillion years ago Dover sold a kit that was pretty basic and looked like Shakeytails' DH's finished product.

My own DH put one together for me (with minimal help from All-Thumbs Me) and added some embellishments like a base to keep it off the floor (Treated 2X4s) and upgraded collapsible brass handles for the sides.
    He also used a piano hinge so the lid closes slowly instead of slamming.
    ETA: yeah! The box corners Frank B shows are another great addition I forgot about. Mine prevent poking yourself in the thigh with sharp corners when you move it.

Nearly 20 years later I still have it, although it now sits in my basement storing unused horse "stuff".

I hope you & your Dad enjoy making your trunk as much as I did and that it lasts you as long as mine
    Last edited by 2DogsFarm; Apr. 2, 2013 at 09:16 AM.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I used to build tack trunks as a sideline. Sorry, no pictures though.

This jig, screws, and plugs can save a LOT of mortise-and-tenon and other complex saw and router cuts. Plus the screw heads don't show. A good grade of marine glue was used to back up the screws.

To keep the weight of the trunks down, I used 1/4" plywood set into grooves along the edges of 1X3 frames for the sides. The lid was 1/2" plywood rabbeted into a 1X4 frame to allow adequate depth for bandages and strength if anyone decided to use it for a mounting block. (You'll be surprised how often this happens when one is in a hurry). The bottom was also 1/2" plywood. If the design will have it resting on the ground, spring for a piece of marine plywood for the bottom.

I used a piano hinge for the top and decorative chain on each side to keep the top from falling back too far. Box Corners keep the sharp corners from being damaged, and from damaging other things. Lowe's had a good selection of hardware.

I also made two removable trays of 1/4" plywood set into 1X3s. They rested on two 1X2 rails running the length of the front and back panels.

I painted the interior white. It makes finding "stuff" easier when the light's not optimum. Min-Wax stains and polyurethane varnish provided a durable finish.

Good looking Pine plywood is difficult to find these days, and is often warped, as are the 1X2, 1X3, and 1X4 cut lengths, so you have to select carefully. Seems the "big box" stores just don't know how to properly handle it. Check the prices on Birch plywood and Oak cut lengths. Often the difference in the overall project cost is not that much.

Fancy (read: pricey) hardware: http://www.tacktrunks.net/html/hardware_fittings.html
    Last edited by Frank B; Mar. 29, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

2 members found this post helpful.

My dad built me a tack trunk when I was showing in highschool. It has the bandage rack in the lid, but as someone said before, it is mostrously heavy! He did almost all of the construction out of oak, so it will last me forever. I use it now as the trainer/med trunk for when we go to horse shows. My advice for you and your dad is to consider weight when building it... use pine or a plywood board for some of the interior. I'll try and get pictures if I remember.

Here is the one my dad made for me.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...psbe117996.jpg
    It has wheels in the back.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...ps261e8a01.jpg
    Not a great pic. But it shows the doors open. My saddle is inside.
    The top flips open so that you can put papers or small things inside.

It's a very simple design. No bells and whistles. But it works for the purpose I need it for. I only wish that there were wheels in front and back, it is kind of difficult rolling it over rough ground with only wheels in back. Especially if the saddle is already inside.

Shakeytails, I think I will show my dad those pictures. I would like one like that next. Yours are really beautiful.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I don't have any pics of my nice wooden one on hand, but a bit of advice: make sure the hardware (handles, hinges, hasps) is BEEFY enough to handle the weight of the whole unit in case you have to move it. Mine is HEAVY and has these delicate little handles--not useful.
    Click here before you buy.

My DH made one for DD, he used piano hinge for the lid. Also built a false floor a few inches up from bottom ( saves moisture damage), cedar floor inside ( smells great) and as Deltawave said, beefy handles and latch. He ordered his from a marine site since the sailboat handles and latches must stand up to the weather.
    Have fun! Post photos when you are done!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I don't have any pics of my nice wooden one on hand, but a bit of advice: make sure the hardware (handles, hinges, hasps) is BEEFY enough to handle the weight of the whole unit in case you have to move it. Mine is HEAVY and has these delicate little handles--not useful.
    Ditto this. Anytime we build the big trunks, we use these handles. Not cheap, but definitely required. Also on the large trunks, we use these heavy hasps, and piano hinges of course. Actually we use piano hinges even on the little trunks- they're easily cut to size. Ordinary Home Depot hardware is OK for the smallest trucks, but just won't cut it for the bigger ones.

Here's the one my Dad made for me, but it's upright, so not what you're looking for. Had to get in on the Dad brag though!

Front door:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5&l=2e30b66cb8

Inside:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5&l=3a9e8e951c

Links should be public.
    Quarry Rat

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

I asked my dad to build me a tack trunk and used the elite web site and picked out the once I want (a wooden trunk with a lid that opens up...He took it upon himself to build me this one http://elitetackdesign.com/GSC_pg.html. I hated it at first because it wasn't like all the others at the barn.

But after a month I learned to love it! it holds my saddle and is great for showing!! while everyone else has to bring a saddle rack and bridle holder I have everything right by the stall! I get lots of compliments too!
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

My uncle is in the lumber business, and I would recommend finding a millwork shop or a sawmill that specializes in fine hardwoods & specialty woods. They often have odd sized pieces of beautiful wood that work well for smaller projects and very durable / insect resistant. My uncle has done a lot w/ "deadhead" or "sinker" cypress. He doesn't have a website or sell to the public, but this site has some info & sells to the public, it looks like:

http://www.floridabackwatercypress.c...egory/cypress/
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing