The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cocosoya oil vs. TC Rice Bran Oil Plus?

Which is better for weight, shine, and overall bloom? Cocosoya oil or Triple Crown Rice Bran Oil Plus (Contains rice bran oil, flax oil, and soybean oil)?

Or any other suggestions that contain omega 3 and are reasonably cost-effective? Prefer liquids as they generally have much higher fat content than powder.

Here are links:

TC Rice bran oil:
    http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/horse...icebranoilplus

Cocosoya oil:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/cocosoy...on/p/X1-22550/

My vet suggested Rice Bran Oil to add weight and shine to my coming 4 year old. I do not believe I got the Triple Crown kind though. Good luck!
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

Flax ;-)
    I've tried Cocosoya, I've tried Rice Bran...... I keep going back to flax. Not so much for the weight, if I need that- I'll add a little alfalfa but I just haven't been able to beat the dapples and the so-slick-looks-like-oil-dripping-off-them shine that flax gives.
    Kerri

Love Cocosoya. Haven't tried the other one.

Have fed flax...was meh about it. Wasn't horrible, but didn't knock my socks off, either.

My mare has perennially dry flaky skin so am trying rice bran pellets and BOSS hoping that helps somewhat. She doesn't like flax and will eat the cocosoya oil but isn't crazy about it. I tried the SmartPak Ultra Shine or whatever it's called and that did nothing for her, after 6 months on it, I gave it up.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

If you are looking for shine I have had amazing results with Omega Horseshine. Had to stop using it because it was on the expensive side but hoping the Rice Bran Oil will add shine and weight!
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

I buy both Cocosoya and Flax depending on what's in stock at my local store. In the past fed Rice Bran (not oil) to put weight on a mare, but people tell me that the rice bran products do not store well, at least here in the south. So I haven't tried the oil on my hard keeper TB, but he eats and seems to benefit from both of the above.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

My horses have found cocosoya more palatable than rice bran oil. If I were choosing between the two, I'd go with the cocosoya.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    In the past fed Rice Bran (not oil) to put weight on a mare, but people tell me that the rice bran products do not store well, at least here in the south. So I haven't tried the oil on my hard keeper TB, but he eats and seems to benefit from both of the above.
    Not to derail the subject, but there are many stabilized rice bran products on the market (Max E Glo, Equi-Jewell, etc.) that have a shelf live of over a year, even in warm climates. Most are also calcium balanced as well.

It's the raw stuff that goes rancid fast.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering the 5-gallon jug of Cocosoya oil from horse.com for $80 (shipped). And the pump dispenser, because I'm too lazy to lift a 5-gallon jug twice/day.

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering the 5-gallon jug of Cocosoya oil from horse.com for $80 (shipped). And the pump dispenser, because I'm too lazy to lift a 5-gallon jug twice/day.
    I've fed this and liked it. I keep a small 1 cup measuring cup under the spout of the pump as it does leak a lot! For some reason it gets a vacuum effect occasionally and pours out of the spout (you'll thank me for the tip.)
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    I've fed this and liked it. I keep a small 1 cup measuring cup under the spout of the pump as it does leak a lot! For some reason it gets a vacuum effect occasionally and pours out of the spout (you'll thank me for the tip.)
    I don't even have it yet, but I'll thank you now!

I have to say, after feeding rice bran and BOSS for about 3 - 4 weeks, my horse's coat is no longer dry and flaky, instead she's developing dapples (first time) and is steadily gaining a few pounds which she needed. She looks so good that I'm feeding it to all my horses now.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I just thought I'd update this ... I've been really pleased with the cocosoya oil. My horse who needed weight gained some weight, and my horse who needed shine will now blind you in the sun. He looks amazing - he's never had such a good coat, not even with other fat products. I'm getting ready to order my next 5 gallon jug!

I looooovveeee Cocosoya and have been feeding it for about 7 years now. My two that used to show and now are just pasture puffs that I groom twice a week still look like they are ready to step into the show ring.