The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dumbest question of the month...how do I get Hydrophane can open?

The top is covered in some kind of metal stopper and It has me a bit baffled. Tempted to punch a hole in it with a nail because all my attempts at prying have gotten me nowhere. I feel like an idiot but -- any tips?

I *think* that if you punch a nail through it you will then be able to pry the metal cap off.

Is it shut like a paint can? because if so, you can take it to home depot with a new bottle and have their paint department pry the cap off with one of their special tool thingies, and then transfer the hydrophane to a different container.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Also punch a nail through it would work because it will relieve pressure on the inside, but then you have a hole in the top that the hydrophane will spill out of if you don't use all of it.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

There is a screw-on cap that is separate from the metal stopper. The can is like this: http://www.smartpakequine.com/hydrop...x?cm_vc=Search

And there's a solid metal seal between the screw cap and the oil, so it should be able to be closed without leaking afterwards. I've never seen a can closed like it...guess I will try the nail and see what happens.

The more I think about when I last opened mine, the more I'm like 90% sure that if you hammer a nail through the top you'll be able to pop that metal piece off with a little bit of prying.

1 members found this post helpful.

I stabbed a utility knife through mine and popped it off.

I have used a flat head screw driver in the middle of it and punched it through that metal seal and then pried it open. A flat head screw driver will give a bit of bite vs a nail. But either will work.

Do it in a sink or over a plastic bag in case you spill some.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

I pried mine off with a pair of pliers.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I just stabbed mine with a screwdriver-- didn't bother to pop the metal piece off

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    I just stabbed mine with a screwdriver-- didn't bother to pop the metal piece off
    Ditto. Plus, that way it helps regulate how much oil comes out, so you don't end up wasting a ton.

I just stabbed it with a screwdriver that has an ice pick looking end on it so it made a little hole. I just pour out of that. Works great too because then I don't get too much at once on the towel.

Reporting back -- I used the flathead screwdriver (hammered it in) and popped off the cap with a little leverage. Thanks to you all for your ideas!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I wedged mine off with a screwdriver by placing the blade just under the lip of the inner seal as I didn't have a nail handy. I am old enough to remember the day when fly repellant came like this.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    I am old enough to remember the day when fly repellant came like this.
    Yeah, me, too--I remember buying cans of WIPE and the big fluffy mitt to apply it with.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

haha...there's just something wrong with packaging if it takes all this research, work and several tools to get it open! Kind of funny to read the different ideas COTHERs come up with it. Resourceful group to say the least!

I must admit, a few years back I had to ask the collective wisdom of the group to teach me how to get my clipper blades back on my clipper! I felt quite silly, too.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I have punched a hole thru with a screw driver and then popped it off with the screw driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    I wedged mine off with a screwdriver by placing the blade just under the lip of the inner seal as I didn't have a nail handy. I am old enough to remember the day when fly repellant came like this.
    LOL Me too... And the only products sold were Reppellant, Corona and Fiebins hoof oil ALL in cans!
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

Oh yeah and don't forget the ziplock bag to keep the mitt in once you poured the fly "spray" on it... Those were the days.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Oh yeah and don't forget the ziplock bag to keep the mitt in once you poured the fly "spray" on it... Those were the days.
    Hah! Either they hadn't been invented yet or my mom was too cheap to buy them because we didn't use ziploc bags. Instead, we used an empty coffee can (remember those) with its plastic lid to contain the mess.

(according to Wikipedia, ziploc bags were first marketed in 1968 so it was a lack of them rather than my mom's cheapness, at least for the early years of our horse ownership)
    The Evil Chem Prof