The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm another who does my own braids. I have an Arab and a warmblood, so I'm pretty good at running and button braids.

Button braids with rubber bands takes less than 30 minutes and my horse has a pretty thick mane and an insanely long neck. I went to one hunter show that I braided him for and....never again. Yes, they looked good, but geez hunter braids took me for.ev.er. His neck goes on for a mile, so for hunters, I'd gladly pay, but not for dressage.

I often get recruited to braid friends horses for shows, but I've never charged, we just barter. $30 sounds appropriate though.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Braids on the right make me cranky and twitchy.

That is all. LOL!!
    So how do you make it through a show? You must be practically seizing by the time your ride comes around! I did one time have a friend ask me to braid her horse on the left side, because it was good luck for them. I think she just wanted to be different without anyone else noticing, !

2 members found this post helpful.

Obviously missing some thought patterns and brain matter LOL!! Can I change that to "braids on the left make me cranky and twitchy?

I don't ride right now, I just run around in the middle of the night braiding horses in the barns at various H/J, Dressage, and Eventing shows Also AHA, APHA, and AQHA to a lesser extent. Sometimes they ask me to band the manes and I really should video myself shooting little tiny rubber bands all over, my face, the horses poor neck, the horse next door getting a startling rubber band rain...sigh. They come out nice and tidy but it's really not a good process.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Technically my horse should be doing a running braid as it is not appropriate to her breed for me to pull it. However, her hair apparently hasn't gotten the memo, because it keeps breaking off at just-too-short-for-running-braids/just-too-long-for-normal-braids length and the ends are so scraggly that they look like they've been chewed off by rodents.

I suspect I will end up committing sacrilege, pulling her mane, and getting hunter braids done for shows. Her neck is short and I think they will flatter her, plus I like the many-braids look.

I did 18 straight hours at the horse show last weekend.

Took me all of Sunday and Monday to feel normal again! (since I missed my sleep cycle Friday night)

I did the fluffy Euro style braids (Anky braids) on 2 horses. Both of them the thinner necked TB types. Those braids make the neck look thicker.
    They actually take me longer because there is more love required to get them to fluff just like so. That and you have to braid up instead of down. Which was tough because I don't have a ladder--just a step stool.

Hunter braids are a no-no for dressage. I [personally] don't think they help out the topline at all.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I can do the euro style when I rubber band braid. They are thicker and I do the arches, takes me 30 mins and they turn out professional enough that I was paid for braiding at the rated dressage show by two girls from my barn.

I sew in the american style for most of my events. Takes me 30 to 40 mins depending on how many I want. Yours look very nice BTW and I could see someone paying 35-40 for them.

Maybe you should offer both? Give the buyer the option? Some horses look better in one style over the other, some owners like one style over the other.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.