The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dressage shows: What type of braids do you prefer and how much do you pay?

Hi everyone!

I'm slowly taking up bizz as a pro groom (traveling clipper during the winter and braiding at horse shows) and I think I might like to expand my knowledge and usefulness even further.

I braid at events and have been thinking about also going to dressage shows. We have some big ones in the area. : )

Events are still a free for all when it comes to braiders. We really don't have "pro braiders" like the hunter/jumper scene.
    In fact when I'm at events I don't see other braiders!

I have heard that the hunter shows sometimes only allow certain people to braid and of course barns usually have their own private braiders...

1. Are dressage shows the same?

2. Braiders-how much do you charge?
    Riders/owners-how much do you pay?

***Also,
    3. What type of braids do most riders prefer?

European vs American
    (below is my idea of one vs the other)

European style
    http://pepismartdog.com/rainbowbridg.../Dressage.jpeg

and these are my braids--American style
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps42eb2819.png

thanks for all input.
    Happy long weekend to everyone!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Love your braids, too bad you aren't near me. Dressage shows are NOT like hunter shows, I have trouble finding a braider (arthritis in hands so if I do my own I can't ride later!) Most riders I know braid their own horses. Prices? not really sure of the market.

I do rubber band braids, not sewn in. Type depends on the mane for me- thin mane more American, big thick I can do a passable European. I do it myself, but I'm a good and fast braider.

Mmm, yummy braids. However, I keep my Morgan's mane long, so these braids are of no use to me. Someone who knows how to do a French/running braid that is reinforced to *stay in* on show day would earn my undying respect and hard-earned $$, as my hands are starting to complain loudly about braiding. Luckily, I can do a good "macrame"/lattice "braid".
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

1 members found this post helpful.

It depends on the horse. Sophie would look better with the American braids
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

My local shows have a lot of different braiders. Some work both hunter and dressage shows. We have many options and the braiders do whatever the customer asks for at the time. I've seen a lot of different braids and the pro braiders typically sew all of the unless specifically asked to use rubber bands.

Prices depend on where you live and what people are willing to pay. You have to decide what your work is worth.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I prefer the fatter, european braids myself, but it is just personal preference. When I have braided for others in the past, I've charged $30 with rubber bands.

I recently learned how to do what you're calling European braids. They're super easy, quicker for me than rubber bands (I don't have to be nearly as neat with them) & they look really nice on my horse.

I do my own braids - 6-8 per neck. I have learned a few different styles and tend to switch it up based on what I think looks best on the horse.

Many people braid their own. Lots of barns have working students or grooms who braid to make extra money on the side. Occasionally, I'll see a flyer or two in the show office advertising braiding, but not often.

ETA: I know a few working students who charge $30 for a mane and forelock.

You should also learn how to do 3 and 4 strand french braids and then you can expand to those with long maned horses.

Sorry. I sew in - scallop, button or reg. hunter braid. Do it myself. Don't pay ANYONE. When people complain about the cost of showing, I say, one thing you can do to save yourself a little money is learn to braid for yourself. I'm no pro, but I used to make a little cash on the side braiding for friends who couldn't bother/didn't want to learn (FWIW, the one I most frequently braided for was a former H/J rider. She'd never had to do it - just paid, and paid and paid, and didn't want to learn, so.....)

Your braids look very nice! I charge $30 for sewn in buttons like that. I do the bigger more Euro style on the more Baroque or thick ones and the more finer the horse, the more refined or smaller the buttons. I intensely dislike seeing hunter braids on big moving dressage horses. Braids on the right make me cranky and twitchy.

That is all. LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I love your braids! I usually do my own, but would prefer to have a braider. When I've paid to have it done, it was $35 for sewn in American-style buttons, and $25 for Anky braids.

I can't even do my own hair but I taught myself how to do the big euro braids at a 3 day show. First day took about an hour, second day about 40 minutes and 3rd day was 20 minutes. They really did look as good as most everyone else.

I would add that I first tried to find someone to pay, and then when that failed, I did it myself. Now, I just do it myself.

Dressage braids are pretty easy to master - I do my own, and have braided for other riders at my barn. I charged thirty, and could do them in about 20 mins, but I did pay once and I think it was around $45-55? Might have been more, I'm not sure. This was in California though, and prices vary depending on your area.
    "There are times when you can trust a horse, times when you can't, and times when you have to."

Default Price depends on the braid

IN WNC the going rate has been this in the past :Large dressage button braids (rubber band). $30-35. Sew in braids $35. Scallop braids, $40. French Braid , $30, with a check in the next day to make sure thy hold. Small sewn in hunter braids, $35-45.

Some people do their own, others want someone to do them. Used to do the show at FENCE, but someone else moved in to do that area and my work scheduled started interferring. Now the Ag center in Asheville has dropped their dressage show, so nothing there. Used to make $300-$400 a night just braiding. Would certainly like to see those days come back!
    "It's not a mistake if you knew what you were doing was wrong."

I have always paid around $30 for dressage braids..of all kinds

The most recent braids my boy got were done by a braider friend who charged $30, and they stood up on his neck, which I really liked! Don't know if they would be considered American or European...link below!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

I was totally into those the past few years but now I seem to be into sewn in buttons.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I learned how to braid this past fall... My trainers 13 yo daughter taught me! Haha. I wouldn't pay anyone to braid for me now but I know people that charge 20-30 dollars a horse. I probably wouldn't do it for under 25 and more if the horse wasn't good/ patient. That's just my personal choice though. It'd be easy money . You have to think about the cost of starting though I imagine you'd start making money after 1 horse. (Various yarn colors, etc).

My first set of braids:
    http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2aa6417b.jpg

As for style I do what you refer to as "American" style. I've never tried to do the other version. I like the look of the braids I did on my horse but on others the other style might be more appropriate. Sew ins are the way to go IMO though. Easy and classic
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP