The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question 08 F-150 with "shudder" in rear-end

Truck gurus (my truck is paying me back for saying what a good truck it's been...)

2008 F-150 FX4 - 72,000 miles - I've owned this truck since 8000 miles.

About 3000 miles ago, it started making a shudder feeling in the rear-end when I would take off from a stop, and it was more noticeable on hills and/or while turning on takeoff.

1500 miles ago, went in for oil change, shudder not too bad, sometimes only I could feel it as I drive the truck every day. Mechanic did oil change, and suggested servicing the rear end, possibly a shudder from rear differential clutches sticking [forgive me here, I'm not a mechanic, I may be using terminology that is not exactly correct...] My boyfriend had suggested the same thing when he felt it. So, mechanic changed the oil in the rear end and made sure to add some additive to it (can't recall the name).

So, I drive home and its still shuddering, obviously I don't expect it to IMMEDIATELY be better if the oil that was in it was pretty grungy. Its now been 1500 miles since the rear end was serviced, and now its doing the sudder even worse, much more noticeable.

I brought the truck back in earlier this week, and they checked the U-joints, all is fine.

He suggested going the full 3000 miles (until my next oil change) to give it a chance to clean out and get those clutches lubed up with clean oil again.

If that was the issue, would they really get worse before they got better?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

When did you last replace the tires? This happened to us, not on our truck, but our car. The tires LOOKED fine, but when we replaced the tires and got the wheels aligned, the shudder went completely away. I'm not a mechanic or even mechanically inclined by any stretch of the imagination. Just something to consider.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Well, the first thing I was going to suggest is a malfunction of your locking diffs, but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

How annoying that the mechanic is being so unhelpful. No, there shouldn't need to be a 3000 mile "break in" period for lubing something up.

Second the suggestion that you've worn the tires weirdly, particularly since it's getting worse. Bad tires can make your whole truck shake and shimmy. Most people over-inflate in an attempt to save gas, but it just screws up the wear patterns.

I recommend have your tires balanced or, if needed, replaced....something similar was happening with my truck...a new set of tires cured it.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Our 2005 has twice had the emergency brake stick partly on. That caused a shudder, but it was not hard to diagnose.

It is not the tires...it does this from 0 mph to around 5 mph.

I don't use the emergency brake ever, not once since I've owned the truck.

GoForAGallop - yeah, adding a friction modifier for LS rear-ends and they added that to the oil when they changed it.

I browsed on some Ford forums, and found a TSB for this issue, but it was for 2-part drive shafts; mine is 1 piece.

Another suggestion found was lubing the slip yoke on the drive shaft. We're trying that tomorrow to see if it fixes it. A member on the forum did this to their 2009 and it fixed the shudder. We shall see...

The mechanic is not charging me for tomorrow's work. He's my cousin and a very good mechanic, it was another mechanic at his shop that suggested the "break in" period with the new oil.

My guess is your transmission, and you are just feeling it in the rear axle.

check your tranny fluid just in case. Other than that if its at lower speeds, check your brakes, especially the emergency brake. I have seen them stick then unstick themselves. I have to go pick up fiancee but will think more on this as it sounds very familiar to me...........

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

What does it do when you make a tight, low speed turn on pavement? Try both directions to see if there is a difference.

I am a boob my car told me why this sounded familiar. my car is a 2012 ford focus. Its an automatic but instead of a torque converter it has dual clutches. My car does this same exact thing but in the front end up til 5 mph. Its a new design for this car. So that is leading me to, you may have "gunk" built up in the rear axle, see about getting it flushed. It may be like my focus in that the gears are sticking. In your owners manual is should state when you need to change the oil, have you been diligent on this or not really noticing? If you have not been diligent then you could have gunk and it needs a flush. Hopefully is does not come down to having a rear end replaced as that gets expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    What does it do when you make a tight, low speed turn on pavement? Try both directions to see if there is a difference.
    It still makes the shudder, and its not any different than a non-sharp turn. Both directions = shudder.

This may be corrected soon...I'm test driving a brand new GMC Sierra...took it home from the dealership last night and am deciding today, if they can work with me on numbers a bit more, and some add-ons.

For those of us who have to stick with our old vehicles, try the tires first. I had an honest to God "limp" at slow speeds that was due to a failing tire in the front.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Just asked my husband, who had this same problem with his F-150. It was the locking differential, and the dealership had to put an additive in the hind end.

Quote Originally Posted by mht View Post
    Just asked my husband, who had this same problem with his F-150. It was the locking differential, and the dealership had to put an additive in the hind end.
    They changed the oil and put in the additive and it got worse after.

ETA: I'm the proud new owner of a payment book and a brand new GMC Sierra. So no need to worry about the Ford no more!

Carry on the conversation to help others figure this out if they have issues.