The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

Default Heart horse with EPM not responding to Marquis - trying Oroquin-10 / Orogin?

Kind of upset right now We're just under $1000 into treatment with Marquis (5 weeks) only to find that it's not working like they were hoping it would, and that a $20 tube of Bute seems to be more beneficial than the Marquis. She does great on the Marquis/Bute combo (went from a 2+/3 to a 1) but when we stop the Bute, the neuro symptoms explode within 3-5 days and we're back to day 1. It's absolutely heartbreaking, not to mention the Marquis is tearing up her mouth and stomach.

I just can't justify another $770 on Marquis when it doesn't seem like it's doing a whole heck of a lot. We sent her blood work in to the Pathogenes lab and it came back strong positive, recommended her for treatment with Oroquin-10 (which I guess is not being manufactured anymore, now it's being made under the name Orogin) $158 on a hope and a prayer sounds a lot better than another $770, so we're going to try it - I figure if it doesn't work, then we'll go back to the Marquis. Meds are supposed to arrive today, so hopefully we will be starting tonight.

Those of you that have used Oroquin-10 / Orogin.....is it the wonder drug I'm hoping it is when Marquis seems to not be doing it for her?

1 members found this post helpful.

Are you sure its EPM and not cervical arthritis?

If Marquis simply isnt working, I wouldnt hesitate to discuss other options with your vet. There's others out there including Oroquin.

2 members found this post helpful.

How was the EPM diagnosed and what are the symptoms that are responding to bute?

Near as I can tell, the Oroquin company recommends treatment for all animals, and there is no such thing as a negative test.
    Click here before you buy.

Default Wishing you luck, been there.

I had the best luck with Oroquin 10. Contact Dr Ellison at Pathogenes.com. She will help you.
    Please keep up posted. It will help everyone who deals with EPM.

Actually they don't believe all horses should be treated. My one horse was borderline in the test and they left the decision to me. Ellison said she can't say for sure if he is truly positive because of the levels. That it wouldn't hurt to treat him but it was up to me. I did anyways

Now, yes I have used it on my two. One horses confirmed positive from neuro test and bw at the university over 3 years ago. Treated with 3 months of Marquis the 6 months of epm cocktail. He didn't et worse but didn't get better and levels still high in testing. Retired him because his tripping had gotten so bad it was dangerous. now over 3 years later he is like a new horse. It really did work wonders for him and his levels are back to normal. Even the testing for encephalitis are 0 which means no swelling in his brain anymore either. He has now come out of retirement and has been walked and trotted around and not one trip yet!

Other horse,my newer guy, I had tested because he was dropping feed like my older positive guy. Test were borderline. Decided to treat him. After treatment he now is soooo balanced under saddle. He is in dressage training and was so unbalanced we had to counter balance him in turns and circles and use a ton of leg to hold him up. Now, barely any leg to hold the bend and he holds himself up so I believe the treatment helped him also.
    Imnot going to say it's a miracle drug but I will say it worked a miracle on my one and I do believe it did help my other.
    New horse had him tested because he dropped his food a lot like my older guy
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Look up Dr. Brunk, worked wonders for a horse we had. (Will ship the meds to your vet). Good luck, such a terrible thing to go through.

http://www.equineveterinaryassociates.com/staff.html

There are also supplements that can be given to keep the EPM at bay. I believe it is linked with the company that produces oriquine-10. Good luck! See pathogens website.

I did msm and high doses of vitamin E. Dr. Ellison is who i would contact about it. Your vet can also go through her if you give him the info.

Rio Blanco, so sorry to hear about your horse. Re the EPM, you might want to try the Diclazuril. I believe one if the studies at the site, I think it is EPM horse mentioned it. A friend of mine did a lot of research last year and found it is available with prescription at Axtell-Right Pharmacy down in TX. They had voluminous research to send her vet. It is aavailable in several forms as well as multiple dosages. Best of all was approx cost for her horse,was approximately $250/month. Reading the info, she discovered resolution of the EPM required a longer treatment time than is typical with Marquis, & the significant savings in cost made it reasonable.

I second diclazuril. Its available as IV injection and given for 5 days.

Equine08 - thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into that if the Orogin doesn't work.

We're currently on Day 3 (4th dose tonight) of the Orogin and no change Actually, she was a little worse last night than she was before. But, they hope to see symptom improvement by day 5 and near complete resolution of symptoms on day 10. On the plus side, I don't have to shove her meds down her throat (or have her spit them back on me like a llama) anymore - the Orogin is a huge tab that we crush and put in a tablespoon of molasses that she knocks me down to get to. Problem solved ....if only it works?

Really? Mine was a paste and then the levisolme afterward was a bill pill. I'm confused is she on oroquin 10 or just the levisolme right now?

I will get a pic of her meds and the label on the bottle tomorrow. She is on Orogin, which is supposedly the sane thing as the oroquin-10 but that the oroquin-10 is no longer being made under that name because the place that made it is no longer in operation. I know the bottle lists the amount and type of meds in the pill, so I'll have to check that. I as surprised to see that it as a pill....night 1 of meds consisted of me sticking my hand in her water, coating it in the crushed pill, and sticking my hand in her mouth....this would've been a lot easier if she would just eat mess mixed with her grain, but when it's 10:30 at night, I did what I had to when I had nothing to mix it with because I was expecting it to be a paste. Lol.

I'm still working with dr. Ellison in the trials so I'd be surprised if it's not around now. That's confusing. ?? Are you going through ellison or another vet? Here is a link to the drug being a paste
    http://www.epmhorse.org/Treatment/Treatment.htm

Let me see if I can find her website

That's the correct website, the pathogenes one. If you click on Orogin on the left column (not either of the links that pop up when you hover on it, just click on the word Orogin itself) it will pop up a page about the drug she's on, along with a picture of it. This is exactly what we have I also sent you a PM

Description of Orogin from the website:
    "Orogin is a combination product of decoquinate and levamisole inidicated for the treatment of S. neurona in horses. The formulation is a simple dry compressed tablet containing 272 mg decoquinate and 550 mg levamisole HCl. Most horses willingly eat the palatable tablet in a handful of grain."

My horse severely disagrees with the "palatable" part of that claim. She thinks it's disgusting, but lucky for me, she loves molasses more than she hates the pill.

We have a horse we treated and is better,

If you're seeing symptom resolution after administration of bute, I'd suspect that those symptoms are due to something other than EPM. Have you looked into inflammatory conditions that can cause neurological abnormalities? As someone else mentioned, cervical arthritis or injury would be high on the list of root causes for ataxia and other neuro signs that might respond well to bute.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Quote Originally Posted by Rio Blanco View Post
    That's the correct website, the pathogenes one. If you click on Orogin on the left column (not either of the links that pop up when you hover on it, just click on the word Orogin itself) it will pop up a page about the drug she's on, along with a picture of it. This is exactly what we have I also sent you a PM

Description of Orogin from the website:
    "Orogin is a combination product of decoquinate and levamisole inidicated for the treatment of S. neurona in horses. The formulation is a simple dry compressed tablet containing 272 mg decoquinate and 550 mg levamisole HCl. Most horses willingly eat the palatable tablet in a handful of grain."

My horse severely disagrees with the "palatable" part of that claim. She thinks it's disgusting, but lucky for me, she loves molasses more than she hates the pill.
    Rio how is your horse? And if you don't mind saying where are you located? We are retreating our horse with Orogin to make sure he doesn't relaps, since there is a possibility of that after treating with Marquis.

Default I used Previcox instead of the bute.....

It is MUCH safer for the gut/ulcers. I, too, used both. The Marquis had very little impact but the trial Oroquin 10 did help. Mine did get better with the O-10 but he relapsed about 5 months later and we could not save him. Come to find out, my vet did not understand that we needed to follow up with the levamisole if symptoms persisted, so I think that may have been part of our problem. EPM is certainly a horrible disease, it claimed one of the best horses I will ever own....and it broke my heart.