The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Want to post a video for critique... *Added video*

Would it be annoying if the video was sideways? My instructor took it and I forgot to tell her to hold my phone sideways. I put it on youtube with hopes of flipping it, but I do not see how to do that.
    Last edited by Koniucha; Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM.

Many of us have lap tops, it's not a big deal to just turn the computer on its side.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Ha, I seriously figured it out right after I posted this. The video is still small, but all I have for now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd8rECMxbv8

That bad, huh?

I wanted to just add that I had a lesson on that same mare this afternoon and it was wonderful. My mare is out of service for now due to an injury so I am riding a lesson horse. Blessing in disguise! This mare has made me much bolder and I am having a blast. Can you believe she is 21?

She looks great. The video is kind of hard to see a lot. The first jump you looked pretty good. Pinching with the knee a bit has threw your leg back some and it looks as if you are landing in the saddle a little to soon. Try to stay up a little longer until she has landed in front. Also she needs a release more IMO. She can't stretch and use herself over the fence and they need that for balance. That's probably why she cross fired after the first fence. Move your hands up a bit more if you have to keep such a tight hold on the reins. A nice long release. If you can let the reins out a bit your short release would be ok.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Koniucha View Post
    That bad, huh?

I wanted to just add that I had a lesson on that same mare this afternoon and it was wonderful. My mare is out of service for now due to an injury so I am riding a lesson horse. Blessing in disguise! This mare has made me much bolder and I am having a blast. Can you believe she is 21?
    I think you look good. Is there anything in particular about your riding that you had questions about?

I feel like my hands that rabicon talked about are one issue. This mare (named Charlie!) is very go, go, go, even though she is older so definately lots of half-halts.

The other thing I do is I tend to really lean into my left leg, although yesterday I did not do it as much. My instructor mentioned that perhaps my pelvis is twisted, so I will make an appt with a chiro soon.

Mostly, I just wanted to make sure I am doing it right For a while I have had this mental block in my mind and that prevented me from moving up. I feel like that block is fading away and really cannot wait to get back on my mare.

Between fence one and two you are overengaged on your outside (left) hand and underrding the inside rein so the mare's shoulder is bulging to the inside and she is not straight. A more even ride would help to keep her from rushing or getting out from under you.

What a spitfire, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Koniucha View Post
    I feel like my hands that rabicon talked about are one issue. This mare (named Charlie!) is very go, go, go, even though she is older so definately lots of half-halts.

The other thing I do is I tend to really lean into my left leg, although yesterday I did not do it as much. My instructor mentioned that perhaps my pelvis is twisted, so I will make an appt with a chiro soon.

Mostly, I just wanted to make sure I am doing it right For a while I have had this mental block in my mind and that prevented me from moving up. I feel like that block is fading away and really cannot wait to get back on my mare.
    I think you look like you're on the right path.

Some things that I think might be helpful...

For the left leg imbalance, find a mirror to stand in front of while standing with your feet flat on the ground and apart (sort of like you're pretending that your on a horse). Then go through the motions of posting while standing, and look in the mirror as you post to make sure that your body remains straight. If you see any crookedness, use your mirror image as feedback to help develop a muscle memory of what straightness feels like.

A good (standing on the ground) contact developing exercise for learning riders, is to take a pair of reins off of a bridle, and have a friend hold the bit end while you hold the reins as though you are riding.

Have your friend move the reins towards you and away as you try to maintain a continuous elastic contact of about three pounds.

Try to let your lower arms and elbows relax, and experiment with how if feels to create your contact from the muscles of your back and between your shoulder blades.

Have your friend let go of the reins unexpectedly, and see if you can let your arms spring back as though the muscles in your back are like springy rubber bands.

This exercise is good for teaching riders how it feels to have elastic arms.

Once you have a good elastic feel through the full range of motion of your arms, then have your friend move the reins very erratically back and forth to see if you can remain elastic without having to think about maintaining the contact.

As you ride there will be times to have elastic arms, and times to take more of a hold.

A common place where some riders can get stuck in the learning process, is by focusing on the feeling of the weight of the reins in their hands, and consciously trying to move their arms to maintain that weight, rather then letting those elastic back muscles create that contact automatically.

Also, be sure that you understand the concept of what are called "independent aids".

Independent aids means that your arms, legs, knees, hands, feet, seat, pelvis, back, head, shoulders ... , can be used independently as aids to communicate with the horse. While the rider remains perfectly balanced on the horses back.

Independent aids are like patting the top of your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time.

A good analogy for independent aids could be a drummer in a band who has feet and hands all playing a diferent part of the rhythm an the same time.

Independent aids are more of an advanced rider ability. But I think it's an easy enough concept for a beginner to understand, as it will help a rider understand the purpose of many of the exercises that a trainer will have them do.

The foundation of advanced riding, require the rider to be relaxed, balanced, and have the ability to communicate with the horse with coordinated and effective independent aids.

The job of the good trainer is to put their student on the path of developing those abilities.

1 members found this post helpful.