The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default hotwire along permanent fencing: high or low?

I want to put a strand of electric fencing inside my Ramm fencing to discourage my horses from testing the fence. I have hot tape that already intersects the Ramm fencing, so I can continue those lines. I only have enough (at this point) to do one strand of hot tape along the Ramm fencing; so do I run it high (about 3'6" off the ground) or low (about 1'6") off the ground?

My instinct is low, to discourage heads sneaking under the fence to graze. I don't know if chest-height would do much regularly. Thoughts?

I'm planning on doing the same with my Ramm fence at some point this summer. (New farm and have to put up other fence first). I am planning on running a line along the top to discourage them from leaning over, scratching their rumps, or jumping over it. Granted I'll only have 2 horses and a foal/weanling on 5-6 acres of good grass and the 2 adult horses are very fence friendly. My main concern is to keep the baby off the fence.

I have Centaur HTP, three rails, and my guys did not try to reach through, so it was more important for me to have a strand of electric near the top to discourage rubbing. When I had a mini mule here, I added a strand of electric lower, between the bottom and middle rail as I suspected she might slip through. Since she left, I actually took the lower strand down and my boys have yet to even go near the rails, let alone stick their heads through...but I'll have to watch if we get to where the grass is better across the fence. I actually kind of hoped they might keep the fence line mowed better so I don't have to do it!

Middle, with the 6" offset holders.

I have 3 rail Ramm, and I knew? when I installed it, that one day, I'd almost assuredly have a mini companion of some sorts...so, I went ahead at installation and ran 2: one hot coat rail at top, and one, just above the bottom rail....for the widdle ones who might wanna hop thru? Haven't 'tested' it yet with little ones, but hopefully? it will do the trick?
    http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0210.jpg
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

The answer is "yes." Put one high and low. And in the middle if you want.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    I have 3 rail Ramm, and I knew? when I installed it, that one day, I'd almost assuredly have a mini companion of some sorts...so, I went ahead at installation and ran 2: one hot coat rail at top, and one, just above the bottom rail....for the widdle ones who might wanna hop thru? Haven't 'tested' it yet with little ones, but hopefully? it will do the trick?
    http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0210.jpg
    We've got high AND low to discourage the 17hh Amazon mare & the medium Imp in a Pony Suit.

We have one, it is high .....about 4' off the ground and it is HOT all the time. It also works like a charm. They don't test it very often but when they do they need to get a reminder that it's there each and every time.

If it's to discourage leaning, then it needs to be higher, like along the top rail for normal horses. If it's to discourage sticking heads through to get grass on the other side, then low.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    If it's to discourage leaning, then it needs to be higher, like along the top rail for normal horses. If it's to discourage sticking heads through to get grass on the other side, then low.
    I would be to discourage eating grass, but I'm not sure if I need to discourage leaning. There is nothing on the other side except my neighbor's grand golf-green of a front yard.

I have two Morgans who will totally hoover any grass on the other side (and the area in question would eventually turn into a sacrifice lot as they graze it down). But I also have a 17h TB and I'm nervous about him jumping over.... how high should I make the top line? As high as I can go above my top rail? I may be able to squeak out an extra line for this section only, since it is part of my perimeter fence.