The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Speak to me of Laramie WY

I am moving there...unless something drastic happens!

I am moving from Tryon, NC the horse Mecca of the world. Pastures, grass, sunshine- no need to blanket....

And they are going to be cold, and it's different. So, My Dear CoTHers...tell me what I need to know?

I think I have a good barn until I can bring them home, and I hear there is a trainer out there that can help with my lack-of-riding that I have been going thru. There is an eventing association there, which, of course, I joined right away!

Any input is appreciated!
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

Welp, I haven't lived there, but, as a former big rig driver, I went through there at least once a week, if not twice (going back the other way). Either east-west or north-south or any combo thereof.

There are a lot of horses there. There is a (looks to me, driving by at 70mph) whalloping event course with all the fences and jumps right by the interstate. Needed to be cleaned up but maybe that was part of the course. IDK.

To the south of Laramie, there are some riders who seemed to be out horseback a lot. There is a fairgrounds where it looked like you could keep your horse in the front corrals, I never went in obviously!

The folks are fairly friendly, they are 'out-West' folks and either are no-nonsense or will pull your leg just to see you wiggle. To the west of town is a big barn with a lot of horses and I never could tell if it was a boarding barn, sale barn, hoarder or what. But the horses looked good even though the pens were kind of shoddy in my book.

East of town, before you get to Sherman (the big hill when you're headed to Cheyenne), on the interstate, there are a lot of horse places, privately owned. One place looked pretty nice and somehow I thought might have been a vet (?) office or a trainer.

Oh, and there is a she-bear who thinks she is all that and a bag of chips who patrols the highway. Watch out for her....trust me on this.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Oh the wind.....be ready for the wind.
    But a nice place, nice people.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, the wind. Not as bad as some places (think West Texas) but still, the wind.

ETA: There is a good tack store there. People come from all over to go to this store. When the big store in Cheyenne shut down, this place is where people went. I guess it's still open, haven't been there in while.

And....the #4 Highway Patrol guy in the state, he and his wife are into horses. FYI.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    Oh the wind.....be ready for the wind.
    But a nice place, nice people.
    OMG, this is so true. EPIC wind! Lived in Fort Collins (just south) and we were up there a lot. Fun football games, did I mention wind?

Easy drive to the "daddy of 'em all" rodeo in Cheyenne.

there is the university, very open country, with wind! Did I mention that?? And boy does it get cold! We drove back and forth from Fort C to steamboat CO and frqnently went through Laramie if Poudre canyon was too snowy and..I bet it was colder there than in Montana! I actually looked at a job there, but then decided that I just couldn't live there - fort c yes, montana yes, cody wyo maybe but Laramine does get seriously bleak, and then there is the wind...

My truck broke down in Laramie and before I was even out of the truck two cars had stopped to see if I needed help. Of course, there was smoke coming out of the hood, so it was obvious something was wrong! Very nice people, and one couple stayed with me until the tow truck came. I was impressed.

Not sure if that's helpful, but it left me with a very good impression of Laramie!

minus 40 degrees in the winter! Our (we're warmbloods) owner wanted to move there decades before we were born. Well she wanted to move to Jackson Hole which she fell in love with. Until she met a ranch owner on a plane. Said ranch owner was flying to Florida for the winter. And explained to our owner about winters in the beautiful Wyoming countryside.

People are great there. But high % rate of alcoholism and suicide. Guess from being snowbound all winter?

I moved from Area III to Montana nearly 2 years ago! The horse scene is really different out here. It is definitely what you make of it but is still enjoyable. All the folks I have met have been really nice. Expect to travel some distance to quality trainers (unless, I think you said there was one in Laramie?). Oh and as others said.... WIND!!! No one mentioned this to me before I moved to MT. Holy blow you out of your socks! WIND!!!! When it's not blowing it's quite nice though!

Well, yeah, there is the wind, but, believe it or not, it gets worse when you travel west over by Elk Mountain. Now, THAT is wind. Will blow an empty or lightweight loaded big rig over. We joked on the CB, when checking weather down the road, whether the Gods of Elk Mountain were happy that day. Whether is was blowing or if it was BLOWING.

In the winter, the interstate gets shut down a few times but usually by the next day, the highway is back open. You know it's open when they reopen the interstate and Fedex has wrecked a few rigs.

Has anyone mentioned the wind yet? And its partner-in-crime, windchill factor?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Well, it is a dry wind......

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeHorseNight View Post
    Well, it is a dry wind......
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHA!!!!!

DH is FROM there, just outside on a giant cattle ranch. He seconds, thirds, fourths, whatever the WIND. And the cold. He has a funny saying about the cold: "It'll be so cold that cattle will freeze and die. Horses just [censored] stand outside and look mad." He said frostbite isn't uncommon (people and critters), and is painful. Don't drive on the prairie, it bruises.

I've seen pictures from his youth...yikes. Looks...desolate.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

There is a CCI**** level event rider based there.

We travel thru there often, too often.....

We have been snowed on in WY on every single trip.

We stop overnight in Laramie and one trip when DH asked where he should put the manure and shavings from our trailer and the farm owner said, " just throw it on the ground and the wind will take care of it".

Sure enough the wind blew so hard in the night that everything was swept clean. We were quite happy to be hooked to the truck too.

There is an event there called Windy Wyoming.

The wind can close I80.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I love Laramie and the people but holy crap, you sit in a hole and can get snowed in in May. We were there for my sister's graduation in 2007 and they had to open up dorms because during the graduation ceremonies, a storm blew in and they shut down all the roads out of Laramie.

The summit on I-80 between Laramie and Cheyenne is always getting closed because of hazardous conditions.

But it is a college town, Uof WY and Wyo Tech are located there, so lots of younger crowds, and rentals, between oil and college can be expensive. The population runs the gamut from trailer parks to really nice ranchettes and subdivisions.

There a tone of outdoor things to do, obviously. Vedauwoo to the east on 80 is great for a day of hiking around outside. You have Snowy Range Ski Area, the Medicine Bow NF to go play in, gorgeous scenery when the Aspen change. The month of October you have to do the haunted tour at the Territorial Prison. Headed south on 287 back down to Fort Collins, you pass through Tie Siding, made famous in Mary O'Hara's 'Flicka'

Horse keeping will be very different for you. Think sheds or stalls with 12x24 ft pipe corral runs attached. Lush green pastures are not the norm. There is a fairly large eventing facility, don't know about lesson programs. I would actually try and contact the UW riding team director for some more help with regards to boarding.

Oh, and it is a little bit windy
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

....and you call those things trees?
    took me five years to adjust to the bushes called trees here (Fort Worth) on the edge of the great plains after coming from a forest (Kentucky)

and did any one meant the Chinook winds ? Chinook winds are said to sometimes cause a sharp increase in the number of migraine headaches suffered by the locals, and are often called "chinook headaches"

Beautiful, desolate, windy, cold, cold, cold...... On a good note, they have drive thru liquor sales.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    desolate.
    sort of an under statement, there are over three times the number of people in Tarrant Co Texas (Fort Worth) than in the complete state of Wyoming

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    sort of an under statement, there are over three times the number of people in Tarrant Co Texas (Fort Worth) than in the complete state of Wyoming
    Yeah, I've always heard that WY was a place to move out of, not into.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Well...I know it's cold! And Windy. So now that we have THAT covered...
    Sheesh. Not sure what to say. I do know there is a **** trainer there, and she comes to the barn that I am heading to. Now, I need to decide if country (and horses home) vs. boarding is the best. I have always had them at home, and I am concerned that my latent control issues might rear their ugly heads if I were to try to board. The barn seems nice- a 1/2 acre turn out with run in and stalls if needed, but they say no one uses them.

I assume that I will be restocking blankets...lots of them.

ugh....

The job is a great job, though....
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Drive thru liquor stores - I forgot about that!
    And (although I'm sure they've made it illegal) there used to be a few in Cheyenne you could ride thru on your horse....talk about a rather scary idea, mixing cars, horses, and drinking (okay, it was fun!)

There is some very beautiful country, but it is very different from where you're coming from. (But Yellowstone and Jackson Hole aren't too far a drive; huge plus there!)

The wind is very bad, but you will acclimate.
    The joke about the "dry cold" isn't far off; it is much easier to bundle up against it and stay warm than the "wet" cold you get in the more humid climates. Everyone thought I was nuts when I moved from N. Co. to MS and complained that the cold (when we get it) was harder to deal with down here...until they can to visit, that is.

Just keep a very open mind; different can be good.
    And Carharts will be your new best friend in the colder seasons.

2 members found this post helpful.