The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Critique my Riding *Update*

Hello, it's Jessica. A month ago I posted a video of my riding and got a lot of feedback, mostly about how I need to move on to a barn where I can refine the skills I have and learn new ones. A place where I can move up. So here's what I'm going to try out: I found a working student position at an eventing stable that is very active in pony club. I met the owner with my mom last week, and she was SO nice. She has a daughter who is my age and has the same aspirations as me. Everybody there is so welcoming and I hope this will work out.

When I met the owner, we talked for about 3 hours. She talked to me about what my goals and drreams are, and what I want to do with my life. I kind of had trouble replying, because at my old barn, every time I mentioned anything about riding/competing professionally, I got told that I will never happen and lots of negative comments. Not at this place. She saw that I was struggling to answer but she answered for me: I want to ride and compete at the highest levels. She explained the steps to get there (the same things you guys have told me) and she said that she is willing to do everything she can to help me along the way as long as I put in the hard work and determination. I honestly got a little teary-eyed. Not sure why, I just feel like I finally have some positive support with my goals.

After that part of the talk, she explained to me that I will have a horse (and others too!) to take lessons on and take to some mini trials and rallies. I didn't think I was going to get to compete, so that made me very excited! But I can't get too excited, I just have to see how it will go. I will get to be a part of pony club, earn my ratings, and learn. I am going there this coming week, and then on Saturdays until school is out.

The problem will be trying to juggle all of this while showing at my old barn still (the place I was at in my video). I have made commitments there to show and ride horses, so my plan is to ride there 3 or 4 days a week, the eventing stable 3 or 4 days a week (often time on the same days), and work a job 3 days a week. I also teach 2 violin lessons a week and get paid for riding a few horses at the old barn. It will be a busy summer but I am SO EXCITED! I am also going up to the Equine Affaire in April with a barn friend to see Will Simpson and some others. By the way, the hunter/jumper stable didn't need any help, but I am happy with the eventing place.

SO, I just wanted to update everyone who has been helping me. I will upload some riding videos this summer and keep you updated on pony club and events and such. I'm sure I will be starting some new threads asking for help as I learn new things. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. Truly, if it wasn't for the COTHers I wouldn't have had the encouragement to expand this summer. I can't wait!

-Jessica
    Last edited by Horserider15; Mar. 29, 2013 at 03:47 PM.

13 members found this post helpful.

Big thumbs for you! Good luck so glad things are working out for you.

Sounds like a great, ambitious plan. Good luck, but don't wear yourself too thin! Enjoy.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

That sounds great Jessica. I'm glad you found a barn that will help you out and pony club will be great for you also to learn a lot more. Just remember work hard and stay out of barn gossip and I think you could go along ways with your riding goals! I agree don't wear yourself to thin. If it gets to much you may have to make a decision about where you want to be for sure, just like with other jobs.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Thanks! I know, I tend to over-book myself. I will be cautious.

You will soon be converted to the dark side...enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    You will soon be converted to the dark side...enjoy!
    Lol

I am thoroughly impressed, this shows real initiative and that will help a lot with your goals. Best of luck to you and keep us updated!

Yay Pony club!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by iEquitate View Post
    I am thoroughly impressed, this shows real initiative and that will help a lot with your goals. Best of luck to you and keep us updated!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by alterhorse View Post
    Yay Pony club!
    I know, I heard it's a great thing to do

Can so one tell me what the "thumbs down" sign means in front of my thread means?

Congratulations to you! You sound like a hard worker and a dedicated rider. I hope you've found a place that will appreciate that in you and give your the chances you deserve.

I recently finished reading Denny's book on How Good Riders Get Good and the majority of the big riders he interviewed did exactly what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by HRF Second Chance View Post
    Congratulations to you! You sound like a hard worker and a dedicated rider. I hope you've found a place that will appreciate that in you and give your the chances you deserve.

I recently finished reading Denny's book on How Good Riders Get Good and the majority of the big riders he interviewed did exactly what you're doing.
    Thanks! And yes, I've read that book too and it really inspired me. I'm glad to know that I'm on the right track.

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Horserider15 View Post
    Can so one tell me what the "thumbs down" sign means in front of my thread means?
    That's an icon that can only be selected by the OP, I assume you did it by accident. If you want to remove it, edit the first post and click "go advanced" and find another icon (or no icon) that you want to use.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    That's an icon that can only be selected by the OP, I assume you did it by accident. If you want to remove it, edit the first post and click "go advanced" and find another icon (or no icon) that you want to use.
    Oh yeah, I fixed it, thanks!

Way to go! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Satin Filly View Post
    Way to go! Congrats!
    Thanks!!

Congratulations! Sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Your positive attitude and humbleness will not go unnoticed. Hats off to you! A lot of your peers could learn from you.
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 20's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique