The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 24 hour bell boots???

a friend has told me that years ago she remembers using bell boots intended for 24 hour use. i've never heard of anything like it but if they do exist, would love to find them (my BO cannot put the bell boots on).

it sounds too good to be true but i figured it's worth checking into. has anyone has heard of anything like that?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I use bell boots 24/7 if they wear shoes. My horses sometimes live out full time but when they do come in, I leave bell boot on but flip them up or inside out if you will. This allows their hoof to breathe and not be covered by the bell boot all the time.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know of any special bell boot for use 24/7. I've certainly had a few that just lived in them (usually those that wore pull ons instead of velcro...too lazy and like my knuckles too much to pull those on and off twice a day!). I have one now that lives in his 24/7. He had surgery on his foot in August, and for awhile had big bar shoes on with pads, etc. I've seen horses pull shoes in their stalls, and was terrified of him pulling a shoe and tearing the (compromised) foot up. Probably once it is completely healed (maybe two more shoeing cycles), he can go without, even though he's long since out of the bars.

I do the same as RedRyderKy.... my horses all wear pull on rubber bell boots 24/7 if they are shod. I do take extra time to groom around the pastern amd check for rubs, but if the bell boots aren't too tight it's not a problem.

I went a period with my mare where she didn't have bell boots on and she ended up capping her elbow in her stall. So yeah, bell boots for me from here on out.

so which boots work for you 24/7? sounds like pull ons are the way to go. maybe the KL bell boots? they seem to get good reviews.

I always used the pull on rubber bell boots on my horse and he wore them 24/7.

No particular brand. Found the best price for the double thick pull ons and went with it.

We have a few horses at our barn that wear rubber bell boots 24/7 with no problem but they are very light weight rubber and are removed for hosedowns and drying most days. I don't know what brand they are however, but they do bell out and allow for a good air-flow.

I've had really good luck with Davis Bell boots...plus they come in crazy bright colors to find them if they somehow come off! But they last several months 6+ with my guy.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

We use pull ons and flip up when they come in.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

I have 2 horses now in bell boots 24/7. I use normal Velcro boots and have no problems. Over time they do start to tear up but I keep a few on hand just in case. My older guy, before I had him pts, wore them also because he had on wedge shoes and I used the Davis no turns. Those did great also.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I've kept several of mine in pull on bell boots 24/7. The ones I like the best are the Nunn Finer long neck gum boots, as the taller top doesn't rub and the thicker bottom makes them last longer. But I will pretty much buy whatever brand is on sale, and go with the gum as they seem to rub the least. I keep a stack in my tack room for replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by cswoodlandfairy View Post
    I've had really good luck with Davis Bell boots...plus they come in crazy bright colors to find them if they somehow come off! But they last several months 6+ with my guy.
    I like the Davis ones too - they run on the bigger side than some of the pull-ons (a good thing for my big girl). The only problem is that the stitching on the velcro wears out before the boots themselves do ! But I usually get about 6 months/1 year out of them.

I use the gum rubber pull-on ones too - the rubber does degrade over time but they last me a while. Don't get the colored ones as they are not as stretchy as the plain old gum rubber ones. And double-thick bottoms are a MUST for longevity.

So when my horse shreds a pair, I buy whichever the tack store has in my mare's size. I have to get X-Larges in the gum rubber, but Large in the Davis boots.

And my mare wears bell boots 24/7 and has for probably 15 years now, with no problem. Just make sure they are not too small.

Do NOT get the ones that have fleece around the top. I found out the hard way that they hold moisture to the pastern area, and my mare got a bad case of scratches from them.

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    a friend has told me that years ago she remembers using bell boots intended for 24 hour use. i've never heard of anything like it but if they do exist, would love to find them (my BO cannot put the bell boots on).

it sounds too good to be true but i figured it's worth checking into. has anyone has heard of anything like that?
    As long as they are not rubbing, why take them off at all? Mine live in regular davis bell boots all the time. I have found the velcro lasts a lot longer if you are not taking them on and off all the time, too.

Default thanks everyone!

your feedback has made me feel a lot better.
    i will get regular pull on rubber bell boots and leave them on.
    (i currently use the velcro type with fleece around the pastern which sounds like it's a no no long term).

Keep an eye on the heel bulbs and where the top of the boot sits.

Though I never had a problem it is not unheard of for a horse to rub and get sores.

Just make sure to flip up the bell boots and clean behind the pastern. Mud + bell boots = scratches

Mine both wear rubber bell boots 24/7. I like the Dover easy stretch bell boots in gum and the KL Italian bell boots. Order a size larger in The easy stretch because they run a little short.

So far, I've had the best luck with KL Italian bell boots. My guy lives outside 24/7 and wears bell boots 24/7. So far, so good.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Keebler lives in the regular gum ones up front--he's very short-coupled with a huge overstep, wears relatively "complicated" shoes, and this helps to keep them where they belong.
    Click here before you buy.

My horse lives in the KL Select pull on bell boots 24/7. Bell boots with velcro rub him, even when only on for a ride. I personally do not like flipping them up and keeping them that way when he's in his stall or anything...I've found that my horse is much more prone to step on them and then freak out (and rip them) and that get's expensive with $30+ bell boots. He's been fine (no scratches or anything) even when turned out in muddy pastures, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

I use bell boots 24/7/365. Never have had a problem horse is out 24/7.