The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down Slow feeder nets: Derby Originals now reviewed

My horses eat out of nets all the time. Less waste, lasts longer, better for them. I have a NibbleNet, a couple of the CinchChix nets for full bales, and lots of the generic slow nets from Shires/Tough-1/Dover etc. The nibblenet is definitely the easiest to load since I can leave it hanging in the stall and just unclip the two snaps and slide the flakes in, but they are definitely much more $$$. Was looking around and came across similar ones from Derby and Professional's Choice and was wondering if anyone had experience with either of them.

http://www.tackwholesale.com/slow-fe...ls-p-3637.html

http://www.tackwholesale.com/product...oducts_id=4336

I'm leaning towards trying the Derby one since it is fully lined on the one side, like the Nibblenet, but would love to know the durability. Nibblenets seem pretty indestructible!

Thanks!
    Last edited by EventingDreams; Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Updated with product review

I use marine grade roped fishing net (1" holes). It's extremely durable and it cost about $15 and I've made 3 large nets (that hold about 5 flakes each) and 2 smaller ones that held about a flake each.

Got it off of ebay. I had a nibblenet and actually gave it away to a friend after I got the fishing net. So much better!

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Used-Fis...item33802706ac

I've had mine for two years with a very wily, very hungry mare who throws them around constantly. They are very abused. Not one hole!

I've used the Derby and was very happy with it for awhile. It just didn't hold up that well for my boy. He was pretty rough with it and after a couple months I had to trash it. But, I got one for my BF's older gelding at the same time and his is still in really good condition.

I bought 2 of the Derby ones to use in my horse trailer. Can't comment on durability, as I haven't done as much trailering lately as I thought I would, but the one thing I noticed in the very beginning is the top of the bag... There's no way to cinch or hold it closed to keep the horses from simply pulling the hay out in giant mouthfuls instead of through the small holes. And in the trailer, there's no way I can hoist them high enough to prevent this, either. I came up with a semi-solution-- I bought a pair of chifney bit snaps for each bag, and on the metal dees where the hanging straps attach, I clip the front and back together, which helps hold the top closed and prevents the smorgasboard eating.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

I have several like the first one you listed. They aren't as tough as the Nibblenets but have held up pretty well.

I have two in the big stall my youngsters come in to for dinner. A few of the straps at the bottom have come undone. I think it will be easy to reattach them.

I also have two I hang from trees out in one pasture. They have held up just fine.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps0bf7f4cf.png
    Last edited by CDE Driver; Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added photo
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Update from my original post: I bought one of the Derby Originals nets and can't say I would recommend it except maybe for occasional use in a trailer or something. I used it for one week in my horses stall, in the evening, and there is a huge hole in the side of it. Clearly not a durable material on the sides. I e-mailed the company and this was their response:

"Thank you for sending us the picture of your hay bag. We forwarded it to our factory for examination.

My supervisor reviewed your picture with our sales team and they came to the conclusion that this rip is not a result from any defect in the hay bag.

We do not recommend leaving an empty hay bag in your horses stall for any extended period of time. This is not only hazardous, but also may result in your horse chewing on it or getting caught in it."

I will not be purchasing products from them again. If something like a hay bag can't stand up to one week of use by a horse who is not hard on things and the company is not willing to stand behind the quality of their product and workmanship then I won't be doing business with them again. Just thought others may find this useful if they are looking into these bags. I'll be purchasing another NibbleNet. Much more expensive but most definitely worth it!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EventingDreams View Post
    We do not recommend leaving an empty hay bag in your horses stall for any extended period of time. This is not only hazardous, but also may result in your horse chewing on it or getting caught in it."
    This made me chuckle.

Darn you, you should get up in the middle of the night and make sure Dobbin has hay.

Do they really think you left an empty hay bag in your stall as a toy for your horse to chew a hole in?

Whatever you do do not buy these.
    I bought two. Within ONE HOUR they both had a huge rip down the back.
    http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Se...x?k=hay%20bags
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    Whatever you do do not buy these.
    I bought two. Within ONE HOUR they both had a huge rip down the back.
    http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Se...x?k=hay%20bags
    Two different bags came up with your link. Which bag did you have the problem with?

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Two different bags came up with your link. Which bag did you have the problem with?
    Oh sorry. Slow feeder on the left.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I bought several of these and they work great. Good price, too.

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CD...EATURED/SF1802

I have a couple dozen of the large size, small hole nets from Dover and I've used them for 2 years....not a single one has given out yet. A few may be from Stateline.

I second what Zwarte and hundredacres said. I originally bought a few of them from Dover's, and 2 years later, after daily use and abuse from up to 4 horses at a time (I hang mine in the run-in shed in my drylot), they're just now starting to look shabby.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

I hear ya. I have four of them.

The two on the trees outside are fine.

The two I have in the stall for the youngsters are coming apart.

I did get little carabiners to clip the tops together on all of them.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by EventingDreams View Post
    Sounds similar to our broken trough heaters that "become brittle when cold". Last I checked, they were not a warm weather product.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by airhorse View Post
    Sounds similar to our broken trough heaters that "become brittle when cold". Last I checked, they were not a warm weather product.
    And that reminds me of some flat backed water buckets I bought at TSC once - they all got squished out of shape and they wouldn't bounce back to shape (they were the black rubber type) and TSC said, "Don't let your horses lean on them". LOL I called the company and they admitted to a formula problem and sent me new buckets even without a reciept, simply on my word. I thought that was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Cashela View Post
    i bought three of these - one for each of my horses. only one of them is still completely intact - the one for my mare who isn't hard on anything. my coming 3 year old basically destroyed his in a matter of 2 weeks. my 18yr old gelding can still use his as i flipped the side with the HUGE hole in it against the wall and have continued using the bag. i will be ordering a nibble net for my youngster to see how it holds up to his wrath. should that prove positive i'll be ordering more for my other two. i wouldn't waste my money on the derby ones again.