The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can I start an "I Love My Farrier" thread?

So... Boy was reset on Friday, stupid me didn't put his bell boots on him and he pulled his left front off some time on Monday or Tuesday. The footing outside sucks right now, crunchy on the top with about 6 inches of snow and soft underneath, so not sure his bell boots would have helped anyway. Made an attempt at finding the shoe but my efforts were futile at best.

Called my wonderful farrier and left a message. He called me as soon as he got in and asked if I had any time during the day today. I said I don't get off work until 3:30 so the soonest I can get to the barn is 4:30. He said that won't work but asked if it was okay if he called my BO and arrange to come in the morning and he would just take care of it. I said just let me know what I owe you and he said "don't worry about it."

Not only is he a great guy, but he loves his job and he's good at it. He takes his time, trims the foot, sets it down then stands back and crouches down to check the balance then goes from there. When he's done he wants to see the horse go. He recognizes Boy's needs and addresses them.

I just had to brag a little. He's done a great job getting Boy's feet straightened out. He's been working on him for almost a year now and I really need to get some new pictures so you all can see the huge improvement he's made.

Maybe it was the venison I gave him for Christmas
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Congrats on finding a good farrier! and I do hope you share new pictures. I remember when you posted about your boy previously.

That's a great feeling

And I'll join!

My GREAT farrier moved to Arizona last spring and as a consequence I went through 2 of the worst farriers I've ever worked with. Nightmares all around including a farrier who totally and completely freaked out on me and screamed in my face that I would rather him go to the hospital than my horses (um, what the what? And true.)

Had a friend who had offered several times to come shoe who I had been reluctant to hire because a) he's a friend and b) he lives across the water (meaning a ferry boat ride which is time + $). I ended up bringing him over and he's been an absolute godsend. It's taken 6 months, but I feel like we finally have my tricky TB back to where he needs to be, and all of my other horses are going really, really well. In addition to being a great farrier, he's willing to work with my vet, asks me a lot of questions about my horses, and listens when I tell him something that I think might be relevant. He's also friendly, cheerful, and the consummate professional. I am in love. (but only in the horse sense ). The icing on the cake? He's married to one of my favorite people in the world, and having him shoe for me means that I get to see her a lot more often too.

Here's to hoping the honeymoon period never ends! (it never did with my farrier of 10 years, so there's hope!)

1 members found this post helpful.

I have the most wonderful farrier. He spent one summer putting shoes back on twice a week practically between the 2 horses. (Our turnouts were under mud for the entire summer.) I don't have to be there for him to put them back on. I just send a text and he lets me know when he is going. Never charges me either. So I buy him doughnuts and coffee or breakfast. And he does an excellent job without ego. Coordinates with my vet, who liked him so much she now uses him too! Best part is, he loves the horses just as much as I do.

So shout out to all the awesome farriers out there! You are very much appreciated!
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

I love my farrier as well. A very patient man. My mare is a bit of a beast about her feet and he has helped me over the years transition her from needing to be sedated and in stocks, to just in stock, to out of stocks but sedated to this last time where we were able to trim her all the way around with just a chain over the nose (which didn't need to be used.) With all the fighting we used to have to do, it would take upwards of 2 hours to get her trimmed and a front set on her. Last time, it was 20 minutes with no special prep. With his help, I finally have a solid citizen when it comes to her feet.

Our farrier loves our owner. Really.

We warmbloods think our farrier is a pain in the rear, at least not in the hoof, but he does good work.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Congrats on finding a good farrier! and I do hope you share new pictures. I remember when you posted about your boy previously.
    I will get some pics this weekend

He says he would rather come out and replace a shoe instead of cheating him by fitting him too tight
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I moved leaving my wonderful farrier 600 miles behind. He was the best and I appreciate his skill not only at his work but with my animals too. I also just liked him, he was a nice guy and a pleasure to be around. My current farrier is good too, but nobody will measure up to what I had to leave behind. They are few and not easy to find.

I have been using the same farrier for 16 years. He had started 2 years prior to us hooking up and he is perfect for me. He had a second back surgery- not related to his farrier work- this winter and sent in a buddy to cover while he was rehabbing. The buddy was good on the two trips out he didn't read my horses hooves as well as my regular guy- the angles changes just a bit on the hooves. Makes me love my main guy all the more.

Hay man. Farrier. Husband. Don't ask me to choose.

2 members found this post helpful.

I love mine too. He normally puts some equi-pak under my horse's pads, which my horse really likes although he can live without it. At our last shoeing appointment, which was the day before a show, the gun used to apply the equi-pak broke. Instead of letting the horse go without, the farrier went to the farrier shop, purchased a new gun, and returned at 4:30 in the morning to put the equi-pak in the horse's feet...just in time for the show!
    http://www.hunterjumperconnection.com/hjc-blog.html

A blog featuring the musings of a semi-neurotic adult amateur rider on riding, training, showing, life.

I will join

I had a farrier who was a real pain in the ass, arrogant, flopped shoes on, roughed up horses, in spite of being famous. Then we switched to a very quiet guy my vet recommended. He takes his time, if a horse is sore he lets them rest, even helps a mare of ours lean against the wall, keeps her feet down low so she is comfortable even though it is harder on the farrier. He is a race horse trainer but does a gorgeous job on our mid-level dressage horses. In fact, his work is so good that many dressage trainers comment on what a good job he does. He listens to us. He listens to the vet and does not see any of this as an adversarial relationship. We just love him. To be polite to him and his work, we always make sure our horses are in and dry, he has hot coffee the way he likes it in a thermos and some snacks in the barn. We hold the horses for him and pay him when he comes. He works very hard with his back for his living. And if you think about it, one bad horse could take away his livelihood for a good chunk of time We feel it is our job to show him our much we appreciate him.
    Last edited by Iberiansyes; Mar. 30, 2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: clarity, typos

Hand raised! I do!!