The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Not shedding?

Compared to previous years, my mare would normally be shedding like crazy right now but she is hardly letting go of anything now. She was shedding a bit back in early Feb but then quit completely. She was trace clipped back in November but she usually is every year. This is the first year I have had her on stall board. Could that be it? The weather is miserable here right now. It should be 50s-60s but its been in the 30s.

She has a very sleek coat and doesnt look cushings at all. She's 11.

My two bay horses are not shedding much either. My chestnut one is shedding normally. I really think the crazy cold weather we are having has something to do with it.

Same here - much much slower shedding this year.

I have always said that temperature plays a larger role in shedding and coat growth than people like to think - I usually get laughed at

1 members found this post helpful.

thats what I was thinking....I mean....the days are just as long as they were this time last year and she still isnt shedding....but last year was reallllly warm and this year its really cold so temp HAS got to have something to do with it.

I have 2 horses shedding like crazy! And one who holds onto her winter coat until mid-may every.single.year. :/

I'm with JB. While some of my friends' horses were shedding, my mares held onto their coats. They knew something was coming... we got hit with an early spring chill-- 20's at night (highly unusual for this time of the year in Georgia).

We are coming out of that chill today and, now, they're blowing coat like crazy.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

My horse hasn't started shedding yet at all. He doesn't grow much coat anyway but by this time last year he was at least halfway shed out.

It seems like the only ones we have shedding right now are the ones who weren't clipped at all this winter. The clipped horses are hanging onto their hair. Very unusual for this time of the year but March here has been unusually cold and I think we got more snow in March than we did in Dec, Jan and Feb combined.

We are so far south and the temps range drastically from week to week with the spring fronts. Some horses are shedding and some are not, I can't say if its the warmbloods, coldbloods, darks, lights, etc. Springtime is havic on horses' systems down here, lots of highs in the mid/high 80's then the next week the high is low 60's.