The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    He really doesn't enjoy his job at stud though, and they have been very patient with him!
    That seems like an unusual problem!

1 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by neigh View Post
    You are all assuming that every drug can be tested, which is not the case. Until a testing method can quantify acceptable/unacceptable levels of certain substances, testing every horse in the class is of no value. It's a sad truth that testing protocols cannot keep up with the introduction by unscrupulous people of more undetectable cocktails. Another sad truth is that these unscrupulous people are veterinarians.

Your assumption is incorrect. Many of us are under no such illusions and never have been so misinformed. Also I don't believe anyone is proposing testing every horse?
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    I realize that bute is banned in horsemeat for human consumption, but I fail to understand Mr. Moroney's connecting that and the FEI zero-tolerance rule. Unless the only horses that are consumed competed under FEI drug rules. Or the FEI drug rules apply to all horses, even non-competing ones. Or bute is banned in Europe. This wouldn't be the first time I've failed to understand something he's said though...

Say someone in Europe has a horse that has never competed because it's had some lameness issues, the owner gave it bute for this issues (this assumes that bute is legal to give non-competing horses), but has now given up on the horse and sells it to the local butcher or whatever. How is the FEI zero-tolerance policy going to help prevent that horse from entering the human food chain? I can certainly see that the ban on bute for horsemeat would help here, but not the FEI rule.
    Maybe I should start a spin-off thread for this, but I talked with a person from Europe who just moved here. She says that the owner who gets the horse's passport has a choice between designating the horse as eligible or not eligible to be used for human consumption. Horses that are designated as eligible have very strict drug regulations even when not competing. She said that all horses should have passports once they reach a certain age as a horse couldn't walk across the road without one. So, based on that information, the FEI zero-drug policy is not driven by human consumption of horse meat as there are other policies in play.
    Last edited by Peggy; Apr. 3, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
    The Evil Chem Prof

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    That seems like an unusual problem!
    *snork*
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Exceller went to slaughter in Sweden. I think the Exceller Fund long pre-dated Ferdinand's demise in Japan.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by AllisonJ98 View Post
    I have followed this thread with interest. My daughter's jumper was tested twice at the SAME show...Thursday and Saturday. When she was selected for testing the second time, I told both the vet and tech that he had already been tested. After some thought, they said they remembered testing him, yet elected to proceed with testing him again. I asked if there was a reason for the second test and they said it was a random pick and they did not remember selecting her the first time and had (re) selected her the second time as she appeared finished and in the way back to the barn. She also said they were trying to finish up as the show was over that day and people were leaving. She said she did not typically do hunter jumper shows and wasn't as familiar with the horses or trainers and confirmed that he was a random pick again.

We, of course, complied as we don't have any worries, but I am dismayed that a) it was performed twice on the same horse and b) an opportunity to have a greater selection of testing was missed. Is this typical? Is this a good use of resources? I made a call to USEF to ask and all I got was "up to the vet and its random". I am supposed to receive a phone call from the head of testing but haven't as of yet. I don't think we "looked" drugged (we weren't) to raise her suspicion. Giving her the benefit of the doubt, maybe he looked tired....second week, last day of showing?
    You have two different issues involved. IMO, only one is legitimate

1. The USEF's execution of random drug testing isn't great in practice when it works out to mean the same horse several times.

2. There being some implied accusation of drug violations on your part.

Look, if the USEF sucks at being random, that takes care of the second problem. Focus on the first problem.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Last edited by skydy; Apr. 4, 2013 at 05:46 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    You have two different issues involved. IMO, only one is legitimate

1. The USEF's execution of random drug testing isn't great in practice when it works out to mean the same horse several times.

2. There being some implied accusation of drug violations on your part.

Look, if the USEF sucks at being random, that takes care of the second problem. Focus on the first problem.
    I don't see a huge problem with testing a horse on Thursday, and testing the same horse again on Saturday (it would have had to have competed on both days in order to be selected on either day, right?). A lot can happen in three days. Is the random testing performed on a day-to-day basis, or is it performed on a per show basis? If it's day-to-day, then what happened in this scenario is indeed an example of random testing.