The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Chronicle report on USEF Town Hall Meeting in Wellington

The Chronicle's Mollie Bailey was in Wellington for the USEF Town Hall Meeting and has filed a report on what went on...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ng-reservation

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

I only hope that USEF has the courage of its convictions and actually enforces the proposed new rules.

3 members found this post helpful.

Were the words "injectable magnesium" spoken out loud?

5 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Chronicle!

1 members found this post helpful.

sounds like they were plenty blunt about what triggered some of the need for change.

this article ws very helpful and I am sure the ability to view a webinar will be helpful to those who cannot attend.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Great reporting, Chronicle! If USEF maintains this positive stance, our horses/ponies will have a whole lot less to worry about. Wouldn't that be 'loverly'?

4 members found this post helpful.

I congratulate on the coverage, but the title? Are you kidding me? Maybe it takes living west of the mississippi to understand how offensive that sounds. As for the issue, it's real, and it's odd that people can be desperate and ruthless, and yet these are not easy times. It was only 25 yrs ago there was an epidemic of insurance killings at some very high levels. For me, there is another theme; less than 1% of participants at shows are connected to the process of foaling out or raising a horse, where there personality and spirit is this giant presence, compared to shows where a rider practices a mechanical skill and the horse is equipment. When the show, and the leadership among true horsemen recognize how we've changed the sport, then you are really dealing with something that many vet procedures that riders and trainers call "changing the oil" or "adjusting the temperature". Real Horsemanship means going back to the sportsman's charter, but it's hard to do that in a world of "import the ready made horse", "go to A3 shows for maximum points", "that pony or medal horse, or hunter needs to be 'gotten to the ring'". People may scoff at me, but our European cousins exalt the breeding at shows, and in Gala's and National Breeding Shows, and enjoy crowds that fill stadiums and offer great sponsorships. There is a numbness, layers of insulation, and strained artificiality built into our system of shows that is perhaps a bit like the Indian Reservations referred to in the title of the article...

^Oh for the love of god, the title is pretty obviously taken from something Moroney said. Maybe you should take it up with him.

Molly and Mollie, I thought the coverage was really well done.

"But a minority of people are ruining your sport for you." I have to ask this but who does he think this "minority" of people really are? Cause I'm going to guess that if he gave harsher punishment to people like Scott Stewart maybe he would have a better idea of who really is breaking the med rules!!! Unless they start handing out some real fines/punishment to the sports finest this is just like blowing farts in the wind, doesn't mean anything!!!
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

11 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the writeup!

Here's what I found most interesting:

"The biggest change? No intravenous medications later than 12 hours before competition. There would be three exceptions: intravenous fluids (without extra electrolytes), intravenous antibiotics and a limited amount of dexamethasone. All of these would require a medication report form, and would need to be administered by a veterinarian."

I absolutely approve these proposed changes, but I wonder how many trainers and competitors would find it difficult to comply, given their own current standard protocols for show preparation?
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYpvIMVdq3k
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

Quote Originally Posted by nutmeg View Post
    Were the words "injectable magnesium" spoken out loud?
    Yup.

I was concerned, when the meeting first begain, that it seemed just to be a talk from the bigwigs about why we were having the meeting. But as things went on, it got more interesting - of course, it was the best when the floor was opened to the audience for Q&A.

Lots of promises being made for lots of change to come within the next 6-12 months.

I am hopeful.
    Everyone is running from something. Especially this person I'm chasing.

I believe Bill Moroney is seriously out of touch if he believes "a minority of people are ruining your sport for you". Drugging is rampant in the hunter and equitation divisions. USEF has to step up to the plate and stop giving mere lip service to this issue.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    Thanks for the writeup!

Here's what I found most interesting:

"The biggest change? No intravenous medications later than 12 hours before competition. There would be three exceptions: intravenous fluids (without extra electrolytes), intravenous antibiotics and a limited amount of dexamethasone. All of these would require a medication report form, and would need to be administered by a veterinarian."

I absolutely approve these proposed changes, but I wonder how many trainers and competitors would find it difficult to comply, given their own current standard protocols for show preparation?
    Actually, it won't change anything for a lot of people since many of the quieting formulas made by vets are given IM shortly before competition or under the tongue. It seems the focus here is primarily on safety by reducing the number of IV injections and the risks associated with them.

Well, I do know that quite a few trainers regularly give IV injections of Dex, Robaxin, and/or Legend within 12 hours of competing, not to mention other injectable meds that are not generally acknowledged to be for legitimate therapeutic purposes. But since the rule presumably would cover ALL injectables, those trainers would certainly be required to change the way they do things or face consequences.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYpvIMVdq3k
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

Great article.

I hope they follow thru and it is not all talk.

2 members found this post helpful.

Many thanks to The Chronicle for covering this event. The article raises many thought-provoking points.

I await the video on USEF Network with great interest.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    Well, I do know that quite a few trainers regularly give IV injections of Dex, Robaxin, and/or Legend within 12 hours of competing, not to mention other injectable meds that are not generally acknowledged to be for legitimate therapeutic purposes. But since the rule presumably would cover ALL injectables, those trainers would certainly be required to change the way they do things or face consequences.
    I really don't think anyone will care that much about giving Dex or Robaxin IM. I have ridden with several prominent trainers and this wouldn't affect them at all (as one said about giving Robaxin within legal limits, "that is just pissing in the wind"). Nevertheless, you raise a good point when you say they will have to change or "face the consequences". I am not sure they will because of what I see as a significant enforcement problem: is USEF going to pay people to man the barns through the night to determine if you gave Dex IV or IM? Testing isn't going to necessarily determine the method of delivery, to my knowledge. And unless the horse is dead, you won't be able to examine its jugular. So, realistically, how is this proposed rule going to be enforced? I feel like I must be missing something because this seems to be a rule that cannot be enforced as a practical matter. Personally, I don't care because I don't give IV injections at shows but I will be interested to see if this rule change actually passes.

I think Geoff Teall is on the right track

Teall alluded to a huge tangent that wasn’t explored much in the meeting, namely, trying to find a practical way to actually lessen the perceived need to drug horses, rather than simply offering disincentives. After the meeting, Moroney offered that some fundamental changes to the sport could help drive things in the right direction
    In addition to stiffer penalties for people who are caught, we need to find a why to decrease the perceived benefits of cheating in the first place.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

6 members found this post helpful.

Very good coverage, thank you Mollie and COTH.

My thought was that this was well and good for drugs that test, but so many of them don't. This stiffer penalties (2 years) sound very good. Maybe then they'd just do the actual work than relying on Pharmucuitcals. It will be interesting to watch.
    The truth is always in the middle.

I am also hopeful that they'll follow through on the aggressive changes they talked about. Please take the time to read my editorial on the subject:

http://www.proequest.com/news/2013/0...-promises-plan