The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle for 17.1H slab sided TB

I'm a hunter jumper rider but I'd like to get a dressage saddle for some flat work with my young horse. I already spent a fortune on my French jumping saddle so I'd rather not spend too much on a dressage saddle (<$1500). Happy to have a used saddle. Any suggestions that are nice and comfy but will fit my type of horse and my budget? Thanks
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

If you did a search for dressage saddles for a TB, there are lots of threads. I have had three saddles that fit my TB: a Kieffer Wien, a Passier Grand Gilbert (or GG as they are now known,) and a Lemke Buffalo Deluxe. You could get any of those for under $1500.

I love a slab sided TB!
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Without seeing your horse, or templates and photos, it's really hard to make any meaningful recommendations. If you could post a photo (or a link to one), it would be a help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    If you did a search for dressage saddles for a TB, there are lots of threads. I have had three saddles that fit my TB: a Kieffer Wien, a Passier Grand Gilbert (or GG as they are now known,) and a Lemke Buffalo Deluxe. You could get any of those for under $1500.

I love a slab sided TB!
    Thanks - just looking for a starting point so this sounds like I've got that. Love my TBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Without seeing your horse, or templates and photos, it's really hard to make any meaningful recommendations. If you could post a photo (or a link to one), it would be a help.
    He popped up an inch or so when I first bought him
    Last edited by equisusan; Mar. 31, 2013 at 01:13 AM.

Handsome horse! Ok, big wither, flat back and some upslope to the croup. He'll need a steep rise, flattish tree, deeper front panel, maybe a full front gusset and thinner rear gusset. First saddle that springs to mind is an Albion SL or SLK, or a Frank Baines Reflex - you could probably find either used in your price range. Another possibility would be a Thorowgood or Kent & Masters high-wither model. Black Country Eloquence with a K panel would also be worth trying, but might be harder to find in your price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Handsome horse! Ok, big wither, flat back and some upslope to the croup. He'll need a steep rise, flattish tree, deeper front panel, maybe a full front gusset and thinner rear gusset. First saddle that springs to mind is an Albion SL or SLK, or a Frank Baines Reflex - you could probably find either used in your price range. Another possibility would be a Thorowgood or Kent & Masters high-wither model. Black Country Eloquence with a K panel would also be worth trying, but might be harder to find in your price range.
    Thanks Kitt. Much appreciated. I know his skinny photo gives you a good look at his anatomy. :-) He's in the process of filling out and muscling up so I expect some change. I ride in a 17.5" Antares jumping saddle. Any idea what size I'd need in the ones you've recommended?

The Kent and Masters Hi-Wither would be in your price range. It is wool flocked with a changeable gullet system that would be helpful with a horse changing condition. You can re-position the billet straps as well. The blocks are velcro and can be moved about to a position that you find comfortable. The seats run a bit small so you may need an 18" if you are used to riding in a 17.5".
    As far as Black Country saddles, Trumbull MTN has some Eden saddles on consignment that aren't too far from your price range if you keep in mind that many consignors are willing to consider reasonable offers. Black Country seats run pretty true, however, the deeper the seat, the smaller it may feel. A saddle with a K panel or perhaps a dropped panel or a County with a skid row panel would be something to consider.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by equisusan View Post
    I ride in a 17.5" Antares jumping saddle. Any idea what size I'd need in the ones you've recommended?
    Every saddle is different, but I ride in the same size in every saddle I've had: a Collegiate AP, Passier dressage, Pessoa CC with a fairly deep seat, etc.

I hope that is helpful.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you jaybird660 and Bristol Bay