The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I am so excited to see everyone's responses! When I was eventing back in the day I can remember everyone loving my little horse but being worried if he could make it around some of the cross country courses! I guess I have just become a worry wart in my old age. I have experienced quite a lot of the "judgemental attitude" in other areas of horsey sports where I currently live and was skeptical as to how much I would receive in the Hunter/Jumper world. Y'all have definitely made me feel better!

You will still get some looks, as shows are a place some like to look down upon others in general. But you will also find a lot of nice people who love your horse. And there is nothing like the feeling of doing well on the unconventional horse/pony! Enjoy it.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

2 members found this post helpful.

There are certainly some people who will look down on you, OP, but that just makes it all the more fun to beat them.

On the other hand, over the yeras I had I don't know how many people stopped me to say how much they enjoyed watching my ponies go against the big horses, and that they always tried to get to the ring when they heard they were coming up in the order. A certain level of notoriety can be fun -- standing out like that can get you your very own cheering section.

3 members found this post helpful.

Itot du Chateau, 15 hands and change, is currently winning international events. Edwina is ranked 5th in the world in large part b/c of her wins on Toti:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y_gD64-bQ

2 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    OP, this is what it looks like going to the big jumps on my mare. No one is judgmental, they just love her because she's like a little superball!

This is walking into a welcome stake and passing a horse one of my friends owns. There is more than a 2 hand difference in their heights!
    I so love that picture. Go Wondermare!!!!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by marginall View Post
    Itot du Chateau, 15 hands and change, is currently winning international events. Edwina is ranked 5th in the world in large part b/c of her wins on Toti:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y_gD64-bQ

Omg! This horse has the same jumping style as my mare!

My jumper mare was only 15'2 on a tall day. It was no problem!
    Impossible is nothing.

Sure, the big boys can cover a lot of ground with each step, but they just don't turn like the 14.2-15.1hh crowd. Give me a game little horse who attacks the track - there's nothing that compares.

I do! I have. 15.3h TB so we are on the "big" end of vertically challenged! We get comments occasionally, mostly because my guy thinks he's actually 17.2 with the stride to match! He is a very game horse who can certainly attract some attention.. The only issue is the a big fence looks really BIG on a small horse!

OP, at 5'6" you make me jealous. I am vertically 'over endowed' and I would kill to be able to ride and jump little buggers. 17.2hh is about where I start to look like I have enough horse under me..... Which is irritating.

I would give my right arm (ok, maybe just the left...) to be able to make $ in ponies. I could have my pick of cheap-o midget OTTBs too.

Laura Chapot has done well with the Honda Civic hatchback sized model of jumper. Be happy you can cash in on the jumping potential of the tiny titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    OP, at 5'6" you make me jealous. I am vertically 'over endowed' and I would kill to be able to ride and jump little buggers. 17.2hh is about where I start to look like I have enough horse under me..... Which is irritating.

I would give my right arm (ok, maybe just the left...) to be able to make $ in ponies. I could have my pick of cheap-o midget OTTBs too.

Laura Chapot has done well with the Honda Civic hatchback sized model of jumper. Be happy you can cash in on the jumping potential of the tiny titans.
    I love your Honda Civic reference!

My mare is just shy of 15.3 and she's very slight. (many people think I'm taller than I am when I'm on her) She does everything and is super quick and catty. Like a little speed horse

Default My first jumper was a 14.2 hand Appaloosa

This was back when they calcutta'd the jumpers at App Shows. The first show she cost in the auction $.25 (Yes, a quarter), the second time was either $.50 or $.75. After that I couldn't afford to buy her, too many people knew what she was capable of.

She showed in a Double Twisted wire snaffle and running martingale just to have a semblance of control. She went to the App Worlds in 1972 and took 6th place in Open Jumpers.

Anyone from the Midwest she was a Mr. Silvertips Breeding.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Me me me!!!! I am around 5'8, 5'9" with my tall boots on. And I love my 5 yr old ottb, Petey.

Here we are last fall doing the final oxer of a grid, I believe it was 4'3 in this, but it may be just 4'. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

And he was a super boy who did his first 1.10 meter class 2 weeks ago at the TB Celebration show in Virginia.

He really doesn't care about height. And he is not the smallest I have had.

I had a lovely 15. 1/2" mare who evented with me through Prelim, ran in Point to Points, and did jumper shows. I only have a couple non- copyrighted pics of her, In this case the photographer is a FB friend and gave me permission to share it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Fantastic mare. Killed by lightning at age 10. Very sad. Haven't owned another mare since.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I ride a 15.3 hh Belgian WB. I am 5'5'' and he carries me fine! He did the 1.40ms before I knew him.
    Von Hendrix aka Jimi

You know, I've heard so many people say over and over again about jump heights that one hole up is really only three inches and not a big deal.

Yet I never hear that the difference between 16.1h and 17h is only three inches...

It is all perspective. Supershorty makes WM look like a massive warmblood, where Charlie Jayne makes Chill R Z look like a narrow 15h TB.

If your horse is comfortable at the height, go for it. I'm 5'1'' and got more weird looks for riding a 17.2h WB than I ever did riding my 15.2h TB.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

My mare is 15.1hh and I'm 5'4". I prefer the shorter ones, won't ever have a horse over 16hh no matter how 'in style' it is! I like to be able to mount from the ground if necessary!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010