The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many of you ride Vertically Challenged Jumper Horses?

I realize that most of you have large WB or tall TB horses for riding the jumpers. As I dive back into the english world I do not have one of these as an option. I have decided for the rest of the year I want to focus on paying off bills so I am going to ride what I have.... cow ponies

Sure they aren't big... not even very fancy (exactly why I am not even considering the hunters) But both of my guys, especially the smaller one, are handy, responsive, and just plain fun to ride. I am 5'6" so I know I will look a little oversized on a 15h horse but I don't plan on making any A show appearances

When I rode eventers there were plenty of handy little horsees making their way around Prelim and Intermediate courses so I got to thinking... How many of you actually ride and show a smaller guy (under 16h) in the jumpers?

I do! My mare is under 16 hands, she just looks big because I'm so small
    Last edited by supershorty628; Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM.

My hunter is only 15.2 1/2, and I'm 5'6" and I'm just fine on him, and I'm not skinny either! I've won equitation classics on a mare that was only 15h, so obviously not to many problems on the look spectrum. I even rode a few medium ponies today and bareback at that! (I can't even begin to explain how long it's been since I've been on bareback...) I've ridden both small and over 16 hand jumpers and the only thing I've found is that I feel like I have more control to collect and extend and package up on the smaller horses and always have a more finessed ride on them, but I've always been the type for small thoroughbreds, it's just my ride.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I do.. Not the prettiest pair but I love her and like to think its mutual, she does give me everything plus some! I'm 5'8" and she's a narrow 15.2hh including shoes...

Myself de Breve is only 15hh I believe and she doesn't seem to look out of place.

Mine are 15h and 15.2h so since I am new to my area I don't want to make a total fool of myself! When people don't know you they tend to be so judemental....

OP, this is what it looks like going to the big jumps on my mare. No one is judgmental, they just love her because she's like a little superball!

This is walking into a welcome stake and passing a horse one of my friends owns. There is more than a 2 hand difference in their heights!

5 members found this post helpful.

I rode a 15.2 ex-cutter QH gelding all last year in the 3'6/3'9 jumpers, we finished fourth on the provincial circuit. Jump-offs are a blast on the cow ponies He was super short strided though so we sometimes had a few odd adds in combinations...

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    OP, this is what it looks like going to the big jumps on my mare. No one is judgmental, they just love her because she's like a little superball!

This is walking into a welcome stake and passing a horse one of my friends owns. There is more than a 2 hand difference in their heights!
    HAHA! My bf found a pic of me when I was in high school on my old event horse standing in an awards line up. He said "Wow! That horse next to you is massive!" I explained to him that my eventer was the same size as my little cutting horse gelding I now own, just not as wide. He just could not fathom that a little horse would be able to jump as well as a bigger one!

I ride a jumper pony! Probably will be showing her .95 meter classes this year. She is a blast, and great for jump-offs. I am 5'4" and she is about 13.3hh, so I look a little funny, but we get along really well.

I'm 5'11 and 3/4 (not 6'! I will stop growing before I reach 6'!!) and I ride a massive 17.1hh TB. But back when I was a shrimpy 5'9, I rode a 14.2hh QH/Arab in the .90m jumpers and the large pony hunters. She was stocky, and my height is very much mostly in my leg, so it wasn't that bad looking, but we definitely got some stares! She's so much more agile than my current guy, though, jump offs were a blast. And then an hour later she'd calmly canter around the hunter course, best pony. I think that if a horse, of any height, has the will to be competitive and loves to jump, than you can be a pretty freaking competitive jumper for sure.

1 members found this post helpful.

Loved my pint sized jumper... She is 15.1hh and THE best jumper I have had. I ended up with a 17hh giant after her but I am now back to a 16hh (much easier to get on lol). I love those slightly smaller nimble horses.

My retired Junior Jumper is a tiny 15hand Quarter Horse that successfully showed (and won) in the junior jumpers all over zone 5 and down at WEF! He was the best jumper I could ever own!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Not a jumper (yet!) but my hunter mare is 15.3. I am 5'9". I am lucky in that she is so broad that she takes up my leg, but she is short coupled too and my uppper body looks tall-ish on her. I still pin well. Some people comment, until they see her go!

Charlie Jayne's Athena is only 15.1!
    I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

My hunter is just 15.2 1/2 (perm card) and she's so scopey and powerful that she's actually easier and more comfortable for me to jump than my 17.3hh gelding. I do the 3'3 with her now and she could easily move up (I'm the weak link in our relationship, lol).
    My good friend shows the medium schooling and low adult jumpers (3'3 -3'6) on her petite TB mare who's under 16.0hh. That mare is fast and brave, and she can spin around little turns that a bigger horse wouldn't be able to manage.
    If your horse has the step and the scope, they don't have to be big to be successful and fun! Good Luck!
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

My jumper is 16hh even. His JC and USEF registration both say 16.2, because I assumed the JC one was correct... then I put a stick to him. Awkward!

I believe Coral Reef Via Volo is pretty short, like 15.2? Flexible is 16hh, certainly has not stopped him There's also the late Rhythmical, who was QUITE small.

ETA: Somehow forgot to mention Hickstead. He was only 16hh as well, I believe.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

I have had several "cow horse" jumpers over the years. This one was 15 hands on a tall day, my brother's reiner before he quit riding and I took her over:

http://fordtraktor.shutterfly.com/pictures/22#23

This was my 14.2 western pleasure-bred QH pony:
    http://fordtraktor.shutterfly.com/pictures/22

This was my first pony, a 14.1 hand former barrel racer:
    http://fordtraktor.shutterfly.com/pictures/14

I am 5'10 and think it's fine to ride small ones if you aren't too heavy and jack your stirrups up. I love the little guys. My more recent horses are all little catty horses right around 16 hands, only the 3 year old is "big" -- he'll be about 17 hands and I'm not sure I like that!

Enjoy your cow ponies if that's what you've got -- mine won quite a lot in the 3'6 and showed up to 4'. They were not grand prix horses but they were FUN.

1 members found this post helpful.

My Appy/Trakehner cross is 15.3 on a good day. He takes a line like he is on 17.3 legs. .
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde