The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Baucher translated

Time to review. Are there any newer translations of Baucher from the original that COTHers recommend? Also any treatise on Baucherism in general, especially about his evolution into the latter stage.

Thanks!

Do a search on the word French and look for the thread a bazillion pages long
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Also check out "Monsieur Baucher and His Art" by Louis Seeger, translated by Cynthia Hodges, J.D., LL.M., M.A. Buy the paperback version, there were problems with the text in my Kindle edition.

It would be best to actually read and understand the methods of M. Baucher before reading critiques of him, with all due respect. Probably the best, most understandable explanation in print, very accessible to practical riders, is Racinet Explains Baucher by Jean-Claude Racinet. Available from Xenophon Press.

Most people who claim to be using Baucher's teachings today are practicing the Second Method (Deuxieme Maniere), the core teachings of which are:

Separation & Moderation of the Aids
    Optimization of Orders
    Flexion of the jaw.

Baucher's First Method, which involved very forceful effets d'ensemble and lifting of the neck in place, is that which the Germans, including Seeger, most vehemently critique. It is seldom used today . . .

1 members found this post helpful.

Lady E, there's something a little bit hilarious about recommending reading directly from Baucher and then in the very next sentence recommending someone else's interpretation of him.

Besides reading Baucher's The Principles of Horsemanship and Training Horses also read Decarpentry's Academic Equitation: A Training System Based on the Methods of D'Aure, Baucher and L'Hotte as well as Baucher and His School. One of the more modern writings on bsm is: Phillipe Karls' Twisted Truths of Modern Dressage: A Search for a Classical Alternative and Hilda Nelson's François Baucher: The Man and His Method. The ones of Racinet's are interesting as well. And then there are the counterpoints and discussions of Seeger and Steinbrecht.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Time to review. Are there any newer translations of Baucher from the original that COTHers recommend? Also any treatise on Baucherism in general, especially about his evolution into the latter stage.

Thanks!
    No, Nelson's is the newer translation, but if you'd like to get started, the older translation is available, free, here: http://books.google.com/books?id=1lx...page&q&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by cnm161 View Post
    Lady E, there's something a little bit hilarious about recommending reading directly from Baucher and then in the very next sentence recommending someone else's interpretation of him.
    The reason I said that is because Hilda Nelson's translation of a fairly early edition of Baucher heavily emphasized the first method, very little mention is made of the far more useful second. Most people want to employ the second.

There is a difference in reading for academic purposes and reading for practical purposes. You can read theoretical nutrition, or you can learn to make a meal by reading the jar of spaghetti sauce. Reading Baucher in the original is heavy sledding; reading Racinet's explanations you can go out back in the ring and use it NOW. Sorry if I was unclear about this . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Reading Baucher in the original is heavy sledding; reading Racinet's explanations you can go out back in the ring and use it NOW.
    Well, yes, if one didn't read French it would be, but the OP asked for an (English) translation of Baucher, of which there are two.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's good to know that Hilda Nelson's book emphases B's "first manner" (if that is the correct terminology); that book is only available for beau coup bucks ( she writes, showing off her vast knowledge of French ); at least per Amazon.

Alicen -- thanks for that link -- free is much better!

I like to read from original's if possible; but contrary to your impression from the above paragraph, I don't actually read French. However, translations DO differ in terms of quality, hence my post.

And sometimes it is better to start with the Student explaining the Teacher. I know when I first started reading about natural horsemanship, I read Tom Dorrence's book "True Unity". It made almost no sense to me for many, many years. I had to actually know something before I could glean from it what he was trying to convey.