The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default bad luck to change a horse's name?

ok, so I remember hearing this old wives tale that it's bad luck to change a horse's name. Is this true?! I don't want bad things to happen to my horse!! haha
    This is regarding a dressage horse. It seems like people in the hunter world change the horses names all the time though.
    This particular horse already has THREE names written in his passport. So is adding a fourth horrible? should I just use one of the three he already has as a show name? I will need to use the new name to register with his breed registry when I transfer the ownership to my name, as well as USDF and USEF. I just really don't love his current name or the two previous names he had. thanks for any advice!
    Das größte Glück der Erde liegt auf dem Rücken der Pferde. Das größte Glück der Pferde ist der Reiter auf der Erde

Honestly, I really don't think it matters on a personal level but it does on a breed level. I'm a fan of keeping the same name because the horse can be tracked through it's lifetime, and I think that's the most important thing (so people can view the stats of offspring). I might be off-base but I always wonder if people change the registered name to hide previous scores. The registered name just doesn't mean that much to me. But that's my viewpoint.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

1 members found this post helpful.

I see no problem with changing the barn name that you actually use, and I did so myself when I bought a horse with a very good German name that I could barely pronounce. For practical purposes, if the horse has a passport and is registered with breed registries, USDF etc, why bother changing the registered name?

Does changing the horse's name affect the ability of future buyers to easily find their competition record? I genuinely don't know, but that's something to consider. Particularly since this sounds like a horse with a bit of value.

In any case, congratulations on the new horse! And if you're anything like me, he'll probably end up with a bunch of nicknames anyway, no matter what you decide.

I don't think It's bad luck... however if the horse has a show record with a different name it might be harder to link the two names if you ever want to sell?
    "There are times when you can trust a horse, times when you can't, and times when you have to."

I dont believe at all that it is bad luck to change a horse's name. I would never ever change a registered name and wouldn't be happy if someone changed the registered name of one I bred, but stable names are fair game for changing if I don't like them. But bad luck? No, I don't believe in such things.

There is no such thing as good or bad luck that affects what we do.
    "Luck" is what happens, good or bad, when so many factors come together and cause and effect is what decides what that is, not some magical thing called luck.

As for horse names, we keep a horse's name if we like it and/or if the horse knows his name well.
    That is not necessary, a horse can learn a new name just fine, that is just our preference.

Go ahead and name your horse what feels right to you for that horse.

I wouldn't say "bad luck" per se but if you do opt to change the name, please do it with a change of name w/ the USEF officially so that the breeder is listed with any future results of your horse. A lot of thought and planning went into the breeding and they deserve to have the horse's accomplishments to their careful selection of sire and dam.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasker View Post
    I wouldn't say "bad luck" per se but if you do opt to change the name, please do it with a change of name w/ the USEF officially so that the breeder is listed with any future results of your horse. A lot of thought and planning went into the breeding and they deserve to have the horse's accomplishments to their careful selection of sire and dam.
    This!
    A breeder has only the horses they have produced to promote them. If names get changed and breeders are not listed it takes away from their ability to show what they have produced.
    So as above, please make the change with the USEF and keep the breeder listed.

As stated above, please keep the breeder and pedigree information. I have had people both keep and change barn names with no difference in luck. Just know if you do change it and something bad happens, it may haunt you
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

hi guys,
    Yes I would absolutely always list the breeder info and change his show name officially so that the results could still be credited back to the breeder. This is a little bit of a different case, since his name has already been changed twice, for three names total! So the name I am changing away from is NOT the name the breeder gave him. I will of course still start the name with the proper letter to honor his sire.
    I think when I change the name officially, all the USEF/USDF and breed registry records will carry over and show up with the new name. So it hopefully won't be a question of lost results.
    Glad to hear that people don't think it will be bad luck.
    So, the horse was actually a licensed and approved stallion in Germany before coming here and being gelded (before I bought him). But the weird thing is, he was licensed under one name and then shown in Germany under a different FN name! His offspring that I can find in Germany list his FN show name as the sire rather than the name under which he was licensed. I also want to respect the owners of his offspring. If they want to look up the father of their horse to see his results it would be nice for them to be able to find him. So should I change his name BACK to the second name he was given??
    Das größte Glück der Erde liegt auf dem Rücken der Pferde. Das größte Glück der Pferde ist der Reiter auf der Erde

I've never heard it applied to horses, but is an old sailor's tale that one does not change the name of a boat for fear it would sink. I don't think one should ever change the registered name and/or breeders information, but a barn name or a name used in certain showring situations that allow it seems fine. Horses can and do get "lost" because of name changes and end up in terrible situations, so keeping that info the same is good insurance for the horse's long-term welfare. I did, however, own a horse years and years ago, whose name was "Acapulco Gold" (I did not name her), but when she was sold, the new owner promptly had her name officially changed, but the breeder's information remained the same. When I worried about her some years later, it was very difficult to track her down.

I've never considered changing a horse's registered name. And come to think of it, I've never changed a barn name either. But some horses do come with awful barn names, so I was always open to a change if I felt it was needed.

My current horse wasn't registered when I bought him so I got to pick out a name for him. Of course it had to follow the registry rules (I was limited to something that started with "C") but its unique and is related to my profession. All the breeder info went along with the breed registration papers, USEF, and USDF. I also sent an email to the breeder and let her know his registered name.

I did end up keeping his barn name, but shortened it to one word instead of two. He now has a multitude of nicknames.

I think when I change the name officially, all the USEF/USDF and breed registry records will carry over and show up with the new name. So it hopefully won't be a question of lost results.
    No. They are not all linked. And some breed registries won't allow a name change for a registered horse.

Best thing you can do for this horse is to get back to it's registration name. Even if you don't like it, who cares. You can call him whatever you want back home (barn name). But I personnaly think that a horse's name is HIS name and should be kept all his life for all the "official purposes" you or his future owners will put him through. When you get married, you don't change your husband's name because you think his is boring, plain or hard to pronounce. It's his name and he'll stay the same and you will love him anyways. Same thing for a horse. I know breeders sometimes come up with funny names, not always pretty, but it's like parents choosing their kids's names. Some kids don't like them but not all goes and change it officially.

I hope I am not upsetting anyone, but this is my humble opinion.

All the breeder info went along with the breed registration papers, USEF, and USDF. I also sent an email to the breeder and let her know his registered name.
    That is very nice of you to send a word about his name to the breeder btw.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

I changed my current horses name. And haven't had any reprecussion. LOL So name him whatever tickles your fancy. As long as it isn't Tickles My Fancy, because that just sounds weird....
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Best thing you can do for this horse is to get back to it's registration name. Even if you don't like it, who cares
    So which of the three names that are listed in his passport are his "registration name?" He is registered with one with the Verband Hannoversche Warmblutzüchter, another name with the FN and another with the American Hanoverian Society. The three names are all from previous owners changing the names, not me...YET. His original name is hideous, I can definitely not use it! The second name, his FN name for competition in Germany is the name his offspring seem to use when citing their pedigrees. I'm leaning towards changing it back to that. He is now registered with the US Hanoverian Society and USDF/USEF with the third name.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressurfan View Post
    His original name is hideous, I can definitely not use it!
    Ok - now I want to know. How bad is it?

"When you get married, you don't change your husband's name because you think his is boring, plain or hard to pronounce. It's his name and he'll stay the same and you will love him anyways. "

HA! I got married and did NOT take my hubby's name because it was hard to pronounce and spell - and it was a little women's lib thing too. And since my parents had no sons, I wanted the name to stay around a little longer. In the end I didn't like the guy that much so he's long since off w/ a more compliant wife.

I've personally been lucky enough to have had horses that all came w/ decent names, so haven't changed them. I HAVE changed the names of every rescue animal that got adopted, however.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

HA! I got married and did NOT take my hubby's name because it was hard to pronounce and spell - and it was a little women's lib thing too.
    Oh yeah it's right! In USA you still use to take your husband's family name when you get married!! I forgot. Here in Canada it is not possible anymore since somewhere in the late 70's or early 80's. Each one keeps his own name. Ok then, bad example haha!

So which of the three names that are listed in his passport are his "registration name?" He is registered with one with the Verband Hannoversche Warmblutzüchter, another name with the FN and another with the American Hanoverian Society. The three names are all from previous owners changing the names, not me...YET. His original name is hideous, I can definitely not use it! The second name, his FN name for competition in Germany is the name his offspring seem to use when citing their pedigrees. I'm leaning towards changing it back to that. He is now registered with the US Hanoverian Society and USDF/USEF with the third name.
    Clueless. I might not be right, but your horse's first name was with the Hanoverian Verband. I know that until he has bred or competed, his name can change. So when he started compete, probably his name was changed and this was the one used with FN. If I understand you correctly, he is/was a breeding stallion so he has offspring on the ground, and it's his 2nd name appearing in his offspring's pedigree. Why on earth AHS would allow a 3rd name, I can't answer I don't make business with AHS, I live in Canada. But I find it wird, if he had foals previously, should not be able to change it, but I might be wrong on that one.

As a breeder's point of view, I would go back to the second name, because it would allow easier tracking of his FN show record, babies etc. Even better if you like this name. Did he got many show records under his 3rd name? Babies?