The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by RunForIt View Post
    ...give Mary Bess a call - John has made all of her good bridles - gorgeous and fit perfectly. Rasta's getting one as he too has a head too large for a cob size but too small for horse size.
    I've been thinking about having John make one. I love the one he made for Mary Carol's ponies. However, she said he didn't measure, just eyeballed it, and made a 'small horse' size. The cheek pieces are still on the last hole on her bridle...if I were to pay for custom, I'd want him to measure and make it specifically by request.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

I had this problem with sizing for two of my past thoroughbreds. What I would do was to buy the horse sized bridle of my choice, then send the cheek pieces to Outback Leather in Laurel, MD to be cut back to cob size. Ron had very reasonable prices, repairs were done quickly and mailed back within a week. He has a website at www.mdoutbackleather.com Ron's work was always first class and he is a really nice person, as well!
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

Quote Originally Posted by GAEventer View Post
    I've been thinking about having John make one. I love the one he made for Mary Carol's ponies. However, she said he didn't measure, just eyeballed it, and made a 'small horse' size. The cheek pieces are still on the last hole on her bridle...if I were to pay for custom, I'd want him to measure and make it specifically by request.
    John seems to be at Poplar a good bit; maybe he could measure Owen there. Plus, have you ever tried Mary Carol's bridles on Owen? You could use that as a yardstick in telling John what you need. I love his work and again, am planning on having a bridle and breastplate made. Good Luck!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan