The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Choosing a Stallion *Update: Decision Made!*

I'm entertaining the idea of breeding my mare and have been researching stallions like crazy. I've always wanted to breed her, and and the timing seems like it might be right.

She was bred as a jumper, turned dressage horse when I bought her. Honestly I'd be happy with a complete clone of her, but one can dream of perfection, right? haha

She's on the finer side and would love something that might add some bone, maybe a little height, I'm in love with the old Dutch style WB's, but I also want to produce a foal that could go on the market if I decide to go that direction.

She's on the hotter side, and while I don't want to produce a horse much duller than her, I also don't want anything that will add to her hotness, so maybe something that produces something on the in-between scale.

Ideally I'd like to produce something that could be extremely competitive. (who doesn't? )

I'd love some suggestions and feedback, please PM for pictures!

Thanks in Advance
    Last edited by Briseis; Apr. 14, 2013 at 05:41 PM.

What's her breeding? What registry are you aiming for?

She's Dutch/TB. She's registered AWS, which doesn't really impress me, she is very nice though. She's by Nantucket (who never finished his testing due to injury I was told), and her Dam lines are unfortunately lacking in information, I only know her Dams name, nothing more on that side.

Not quite sure what registry her foal could be eligible for, considering. Yes I'm new to breeding, but not to the horse world, and not new to recognizing quality. So I apologize if I seem ignorant to some things, and I appreciate all the help I can get

If the dam was a registered Thoroughbred it is possible her name is in a database and her lineage could be researched if you'd like.
    PennyG

1 members found this post helpful.

Looks like she's got some nice Trak lines in there, as well as old (solid) Holst stock. Registry aside, is your preference to capitalize on a particular line, breed, or type? For instance, the KWPN breeding farm I used for work for tended to focus on the "big trot" type, and they often went for mares with Mahagoni in the pedigree (like your girl). We had good success with Calimero, Consul, Contango, Columbus, and Rampal. I, personally, go for the Holsteiner canter and collection ability, and prefer L stallions with little to no Corde.

To be perfectly certain . . . or as certain as you can be as a breeder, I'd dig, dig, dig into her TB side and do some pedigree analysis. Even if you don't have more info than a name, that's still a good start

Thanks for the advice!

I've looked at Contango and Rampal, I'll check the others out. I do really like Contango. I've also looked into Farrington, who I like. I'm also going to contact kwpn about registry possibilities, as suggested by another user who pm'd me (thanks!) What do people think about Connaisseur? Maybe he's a bit more modern than I'd like... hmmm.

more advice welcome!

I'm also welcoming general breeding advice for the first time breeder. I'm contacting my vet, looking at boarding options close to home with people who are knowledgable, but still affordable, looking into tweaking her insurance, etc, etc. I'm in epic research mode right now. All advice welcome

One that is built like a tank himself and adds some bone to his foals is Ballzauber, the Trakehner stallion. He's an excellent mover, flashy and powerful and he's got a good brain.
    http://tennantsporthorses.com/stallion-services/

Proudly representing the outstanding stallions, Ballzauber, Sea Accounts xx, Sea Lion xx, and Tagaelen!

If it is her first foal and you don't know her damline I would only look at very proven stallions that are strong transmitters of the qualities that you want. Are you open to frozen?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, as another first time breeder, my suggestions would be:

-to make sure you have a very good repro vet to help.
    -if you are boarding, and it isn't a breeding farm, sending her off to the vets for breeding can save quite a bit of time and money.
    - If you are tracking her cycles, be sure to note that in general folks miss the first day of the cycle. for me this meant that i cut my timing so close as to be scary i thought i had a day or two to play with but when i dropped her off at the vets he said he had to order semen that day! that is too close for comfort in my mind.
    -also, be sure that you have a stallion owner that is reputable and responsive. when i was looking there were a couple guys i really liked, but could not use do to owner action (or un action as the case may be)
    -Be sure you get a Live foal guarantee - for me at least this gave me some peace of mind since i had no idea how my maiden mare would respond.

i spent at least 2 years researching (ask the folks around here how many times i posted looking for new ideas!). it was fun and really educational! I ended up breeding my mare last June and my mare is due in about 50 days now....

i was trying to pick a stallion that had foals on the ground that were doing what i wanted the foal to do - that was himself doing what i wanted the foal to do...... in the end i picked a maiden stallion! and my mare will be having his first foal. crazy, but it just felt "right" ....

so good luck, its an awesome project and here is hoping you get what you want

Thanks everybody! Thanks to another member, I have much more information on her pedigree now Her dam is by Highbinder (TB), her sire (which I think I already posted) is Nantucket by Bolivar.

After talking to my repo vet (she's great! very patient explained all my options, answered all my questions, etc), I'm open to frozen.

And thanks so much mbm! I will be boarding, and already talked to the vet about sending her there to be bred, I'm in a very good location, nice and close to a great place. I'm most nervous about tracking her cycles and messing it up! (well i'm nervous, but excited, about everything else also hahaha)

So I am really liking Farrington... What does he tend to throw in terms of front end (shoulder, movement) and bone/height?

And also slowly heading to the top of my list is Negro. I am madly in love with everything about him... except I'm not sure if he will add much bone?

Last edited by Timex; Apr. 4, 2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Fix link
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Farrington puts on a good bone and freedom of the shoulder. He is not going to refine. I like his type myself. He puts on 3 very good gaits. Nice long necks and uphill builds. Longish type heads.

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

yes timex that highbinder

still considering farrington. looking at Uphill... people's thoughts on him?

I finally was starting to come to a decision and choose Negro, and he's all booked

no longer considering uphill.

also considering more seriously freestyle and diamond stud.

I think Freestyle would be a very good choice for your mare.

I have had a few Quaterbacks and I think he definitely adds bone. Our four year old gelding by him has THE best temperament and rideability, he is such a fun horse. That being said I would only use Quaterback on a mare that is really correct behind and has a good walk. Quaterback himself is a BIG boy : http://www.hengstregister.de/detaila...a360a&hid=7483

Or maybe Don Schufro? That could very likely give you what you want and it would be very marketable if you chose to sell.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Decision made!!!!

FREESTYLE IT IS

I'm so excited!!! Thank you so much everybody for your recommendations and advice! I'm sure I'll be asking more things in the future, as this is my first time

My mare is moving to her new home in just a couple of days, where she'll be monitored, bred, foaled and weaned. It's a great place and close to home! (which is so important as I want to be very involved, but I needed to find a good place that had experience who I can trust with my baby girl). I'm sending in $ and breeding contract ASAP.

Freestyles owner has been really lovely and helpful to work with.

Fingers crossed my mare takes and everything goes smoothly!

I'm so excited! Nervous... but very excited

2 members found this post helpful.

Jennifer is amazing. Her quality of service and stallions will make your breeding experience great!

2 members found this post helpful.

Hony, ditto that!
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com