The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Twitter names with "Probs" ... what's with the theme?

I think this might be a generational thing so please someone more savvy help me out.

I see lots of tweets from young horse people who seem to identify with their "Probs" ... EqProbs, BigEqProbs, JumperProbs, TrainingProbs ... I'm making these up, of course ... but could someone please clue me in?

Danke, Grazi, Efharisto, Merci, Gracias.
    Last edited by AllWeatherGal; Mar. 27, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Problems

I think it just mean problems, such as equitation problems = eqprobs. I think this answers your question.

I changed the title to better reflect my actual question. I guessed that "probs" meant "problems" ... what I don't understand is the popularity of this theme. Why the self-identification with problems? Especially when none of the tweets I've seen even remotely deal with riding problems!

Ha! I feel the same way. I'm 23 and I can't keep up with Twitter for the life of me. I think that the majority of the 'probs' are 15 year old girls who don't have anything better to do then pretend that they are big shots. They call them 'anons' because they don't have a real name or face linked to them. Just my take on the whole thing though. I followed a few for a while, but much prefer Sh*t My Dad Says and Will Ferrell. Hysterical.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's not just twitter -- sometimes this stuff begins in Tumblr, or Reddit. I think the beginning of the "problems" stuff was First World Problems

I only know this because I'm a librarian.

Gah, I'm still trying to decipher the whole #hashtag thing!

I think it's a teenager thing. I'm 25 and I use twitter and facebook but I really don't get those. I don't get tumbler either. Gawd I feel old
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I had to use the word "hashtag" while helping a teenager type something that required a "pound sign." I said "blah blah pound sign blah." He was staring at the keyboard looking lost, so I said "hastag" and he got it.

*headdesk*
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I had to use the word "hashtag" while helping a teenager type something that required a "pound sign." I said "blah blah pound sign blah." He was staring at the keyboard looking lost, so I said "hastag" and he got it.

*headdesk*
    Hashtag is a legitimate word used to describe the # symbol in css programming (of course, I'm sure the kid was thinking something more along the lines of the #firstworldprobs sort of hashtag).

Quote Originally Posted by libgrrl View Post
    It's not just twitter -- sometimes this stuff begins in Tumblr, or Reddit. I think the beginning of the "problems" stuff was First World Problems

I only know this because I'm a librarian.
    THIS!!!! Thank you! (Library science ... now more important than ever )

Theme ... I should be caught-up enough by now to look for "meme" instead! NOW I get it. Who would have thought that today's teenagers would grasp the concept of irony? YAY!

I haven't checked into Tumblr or Reddit, but for all of us who think we're "too old" Mr. William Shatner (slightly horse related!), who just turned 82, is active in all these worlds. I don't know what it means, but he's developing his own subreddit.

I created a twitter account to follow a horse person's mom whose account is anon. Not knowing any better, mine is anon, too ... but the name is more interesting than my own IRL one

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    I created a twitter account to follow a horse person's mom whose account is anon. Not knowing any better, mine is anon, too ... but the name is more interesting than my own IRL one
    Is it "Anastasia Beaverhausen"??????? Because that is MY alias and I forbid you from stealing it!
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

They're called "anon" accounts, and basically it is a bunch of kids pretending to be big shots when they're not. Some of the accounts are funny, but others are just downright MEAN, or they post WAY too many personal details online, instead of seeking help from a parent or counselor.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

It's a Twitter thing.

Like Ginerjumper said, they call themselves "Anons" (Anonymous). There are big Anons (over 1000 followers), and baby Anons (under 1000 followers).

They usually only follow each other and just brag about their horses, and bash people who aren't as good or rich as them. It's almost like a little online cult. They have them for everything, not just riders. Although, the equestrian community does have the most Anons.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    They're called "anon" accounts, and basically it is a bunch of kids pretending to be big shots when they're not. Some of the accounts are funny, but others are just downright MEAN, or they post WAY too many personal details online, instead of seeking help from a parent or counselor.
    Agree. It's kind of scary, some of them.
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    They usually only follow each other and just brag about their horses, and bash people who aren't as good or rich as them. It's almost like a little online cult. They have them for everything, not just riders. Although, the equestrian community does have the most Anons.
    Perhaps the most notorious of all: 2H0t2Tr0t.

http://twitter.com/2H0T2TR0T
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Agree. It's kind of scary, some of them.
    Isn't it? Several "big anons" post about their eating disorders and self harming, but when people reply and ask if they are getting help or give them phone numbers to call to get help, they'll refuse. Sometimes I wonder if they're making it up for attention, which is horrible but I'm sure it does happen...

I had a Twitter account for a while. It seemed the best way of keeping updated with something, so I joined, 'followed' a few interesting people, and thought no more of it.
    Kept getting notifications that random people were 'following' me. NO idea why they were following me, since I'd never tweeted anything, had no personal details on there, nothing at all of interest.

I found it all very odd. I had a look at Pinterest too. Couldn't for the life of me figure that one out. Never even looked at Tumblr or Reddit! Good on Mr Shatner, for keeping up with all this stuff, because I sure am not

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    Isn't it? Several "big anons" post about their eating disorders and self harming, but when people reply and ask if they are getting help or give them phone numbers to call to get help, they'll refuse. Sometimes I wonder if they're making it up for attention, which is horrible but I'm sure it does happen...
    It really is. I can see a bunch of 15 year olds crying wolf, but it would be awful if it were really happening. I see a lot of stuff about the "Eq Diet", whatever that is. I don't understand a lot of it, but do feel bad for some of the kids.

Loopy... pintrest is ADDICTING. Run far and fast... although IMO it is much easier to follow from a smartphone app. I got lots of random followers on Twitter as well... mostly of the 'xxx' variety. There seems to be much less privacy than on Facebook (i.e. I can't figure out how to block people) so I do a LOT less posting (and NEVER post pictures of DD) and more reading.

I couldn't find anything to Pin! I was doing searches and nothing came up, should maybe have a look from a smartphone, or maybe not if its that addicting