The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

You could get me back over into H/J land if there was an AA pony class. Felix and I are pretty much limited to schooling shows, low level dressage and eventing (my first love anyway) because of his size and my age.

I'm only 5', and LOVE "pony size". in an alternate timeline where there was more money in it here I'd train mediums and larges for resale for a living.

I also wish we were more like europe with kids riding ponies. The school programs here almost always have no ponies - I know I didn't ride one at all till I was in my 20's.

OP - I love your guy! So cute!

Mercedes Pony. Yes! I had seen that EMG has added a Pony Jumper class. Kudos to EMG! That is what started me wondering what the U.S. market is like, as I have watched them at Pony Finals. I know EMG has tried before in Ontario and it did not get enough support to continue the division - I hope that changes.

Hunterrider - he may learn to be more 'huntery', but he just doesn't want to stay soft to the jumps and canter away quietly/relaxed. Not sure how to put in words.....

In my experience, the pony hunter 'demeanor' is more or less 'there', or not. I have another greeny 4 yr old (Mardi is 5) by same stallion who is a total NATURAL hunter - relaxed, soft, doesn't work 'up', etc.. Just super happy to canter quietly around - can't get him charged up if you try - but not 'lazy' to the leg - just relaxed by nature.

I am not 'giving up' on Mardi as a hunter as he is so beautiful and talented, but I thought if there was a decent market (through this thread, I have pretty much clarified that there isn't - thank you all!), his 'natural way' would be better suited to the jumper ring, and he would really like that job.

I am not giving up - just exploring other possible markets for him. Will just keep working with him rather than re-direct to the jumpers at this point. It was the arrival of a Pony Jumper class in Ontario that provoked my thinking of a change of direction for him......hence the need to research. My question has been very well answered!

OP, personally, before you give up on being a hunter, I would really give him a bit more time to grow up and settle down. If you focus on riding him as calmly as possible, I feel like he could be an absolutely adorable pony hunter. Although he may never be a "we can throw any kid on this one and it'll go around", there are lots of pony riders that are good enough to handle something with a little bit of "up". My horse started similarly (and still sometimes thinks he's still like that), but a year later and with the right rider he goes beautifully! (That right rider is pretty much my trainer or some of the junior pros at my barn... not me! LOL) He's gorgeous and has got a nice snappy jump, I would give him some more experience over fences and then see if you can get a good pony jockey on in the children's ponies (2'6" height for larges) and then if it goes well, let him continue as a hunter and eventually do his green year or sell him as a green eligible. A lot of kids are looking for that green eligible pony that's done the childrens, because the greens at pony finals are less competitive than the larges, especially for someone's first time at PF.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Thank you Hunterrider, I am not giving up on him, as per per my last post. I am extremely aware of how talented he is! I keep all my good green larges, Green eligible for the exact reason you posted.

I just wanted to know if there was an alternative market in the U.S.. There isn't a good alternative, same as here in Ontario.

Thank you! Glad you like him!! Will just continue on.

Here and there you get an expensive one. 75k about 5-6 years ago for a top pony is the highest I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by keepthelegend View Post
    Here and there you get an expensive one. 75k about 5-6 years ago for a top pony is the highest I have heard.
    Wow! Different economy back then no doubt, but that must have been one very, very nice pony jumper! Thanks keepthelegend.

Covelane - the international pony jumpers are extremely competitive in Europe. The top ones sell for big, BIG money.
    It's always been a dream of mine to have a pony jumper to show, being only 5'1", but it kind of bums me out that they aren't allowed to jump past a certain height (3'6" in Canada if I remember correctly, though it's several years ago I heard that). I will keep dreaming!
    I'd rather be riding!

Colton Maelstrom (the bay pony in the video I posted) sold for 300k GBP a couple of times - she was the best in the world though so not necessarily representative of the market. I'd guess that most of the international standard ponies would be in the 75k-100k region. I've seen 128s in their 20s advertised for 25-30k so they can hold their value well.

the horse market here is VERY different to that of North America so I'm not sure if you can really compare them tbh.

Moocow - I will keep dreaming too!

Thanks for the info Easter Egg.

Those really good ponies should be worth a lot of $$! Lots of talent, and lots of training/money and effort go into any equine to get results like those videos.

Mutual friend of mine sold her Pony Jumper for $50k. Had been to pony finals twice and placed in the top 5 each time, as well as a team medal, and qualified for devon. Go to BigEq.com and check out the pony jumper listings, great way to get an idea.

Thank you ChocolateHooves. I have perused BigEq and will continue. However, a lot of prices are "inquire", and I am not in the market, so I don't want to inquire unless I am sincerely interested. (I live on both sides of buying/selling lol!)

Good to know the very good U.S. Jumper ponies can bring a respectable amount once they are proven. "Proven" is clearly the key word!!
    Last edited by covelane; Apr. 2, 2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Grammar