The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    When I see what the kids do with pony jumpers in Europe, it just kills me that we have no pony jumper division here in the USA. I really believe in size-appropriate mounts and I think there's a ton of potential for the kids to have fun and really develop with a good division.

Sigh.
    Like these ones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5haZXu4sOuM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRnw-gb7iuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnhTrrPw2mI

(that's 12.2, 13.2 and 14.2 btw)

I'm not surprised that pony showjumping isn't as developed in North America really - you guys just don't seem to have a pony culture like we do. It seems that everyone is in a rush to get on to horses as quickly as possible, whereas here people try to stay on ponies for as long as possible. It's a shame though, ponies are so much fun and can teach you so much

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    What I don't understand is why there is no pony jumper division for adults. Now THAT would probably fill.
    In that case, AA hunters for ponies would be great too.
    ~*Paige*~

3 members found this post helpful.

3 members found this post helpful.

One of my adult friends just purchased a well bred large pony for a jumper prospect. He's a coming 4yo and she paid in the mid 4 figures. We're located in Cincinnati.

Easter Egg! Thank you - so fun to watch!! Mardi could do that! What is the age limit in Europe on ponies? ...hmmm, maybe I should reverse the tide and EXPORT to Europe

I think a 3' Large Pony division for Adults would be great. I fit a large pony VERY well and know lots of other ladies that do as well. We can show them in 3' Division against horses up here, but in reality not many 14.2 animals can lope the lines like their 16.2 - 17hh competitiors. Personally, my showing days are over, but it would be a better "A" division than a 2'6" division for horses.....yikes. JMO!

Thank you carasmom - that is relevant info! Thanks all for the feedback!!

Quote Originally Posted by covelane View Post
    Easter Egg! Thank you - so fun to watch!! Mardi could do that! What is the age limit in Europe on ponies? ...hmmm, maybe I should reverse the tide and EXPORT to Europe
    I'm pretty sure the age limits for the pony (junior) classes are 12,14 and 16, but anyone can ride a pony in the Senior classes if they want to.

1 members found this post helpful.

Adults can ride ponies in the regular jumper divisions. I ride a pony-sized Connemara myself. (It's payback for not getting to ride in the pony divisions when I was a kid. )

However, not sure that's going to be a big $$ market.

There are rated Connemara shows and some new USEF awards for Connemaras. I would get him registered as a half-Connemara if that's possible and make sure you're marketing him through that channel.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by EasterEgg View Post
    Like these ones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5haZXu4sOuM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRnw-gb7iuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnhTrrPw2mI

(that's 12.2, 13.2 and 14.2 btw)

I'm not surprised that pony showjumping isn't as developed in North America really - you guys just don't seem to have a pony culture like we do. It seems that everyone is in a rush to get on to horses as quickly as possible, whereas here people try to stay on ponies for as long as possible. It's a shame though, ponies are so much fun and can teach you so much
    All I can say is, "WOW!!!"
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

I would say 20k max for my area (Texas). I have watched many a pony jumper take months to sell and if/when it finally sells, for MUCH less than original asking price.

There really just isn't a market for pony jumpers.

Pony hunters, on the other hand there is obviously a huge market for. It would be in your best interest to persist with his hunter training. It might take a while but even a mediocre A-circuit pony hunter that will pull lower ribbons is worth more than a pony jumper.
    Professional hunter princess

I hear you olivertwist96. If he would just 'chill' a bit, he would be much better than a mediocre hunter, he has ALL the quality and tools. Thinking I will just persist with him as a hunter. He may take longer than the 'easy' ones, but he may be worth the wait/patience. He is still young, and I have time on my side. I just wanted to explore possible alternatives. As I said, if he was a horse, I would be EXCITED lol!!

That being said, it is too bad there isn't a better alternative market, but, it is - what it is. It is a different world in North America, and lots to appreciate here. Those Euro ponies/riders Easter Egg posted may encourage some to give the pony jumpers a go. Those kids can RIDE, and those ponies can JUMP and both are clearly EDUCATED!! Looked like the best 'mini-me's' of the pros!! LOVE IT!!

Another question for Poltroon and Easter Egg - do those Euro jumper PONIES sell for much money? Pure curiosity - it isn't going to affect my situation at all. Just wondering.....

www.coventrylanefarm.com

If at all possible, and if he is fancy enough, I would try to chill him out into a hunter. Last year I was slightly obsessing over an adorable pinto pony jumper that went on to win at Devon and NAL Finals and was year end USEF national champion. Then I found the sale ad, I think it was 15kish.. for a national champion that had won pretty much every time out.

Pony hunter land is just a different ball game. The top winners with a 10 trot, 10 jump, who can just go in with any rider and come out champion, are into the low-mid six figures... which for whatever reason doesn't apply to pony jumpers. Just browsing the sale sites, it seems a fancyish pony that has been to PF and will do the division is between 20-80k. A lot more than a pony jumper.

However with that said, I would be happy to take a fast cute pony jumper off your hands... At 5'10 I will most definitely still fit it

Thank you iEquitate. $15k ish for a top pony jumper makes it very clear. I do have good idea of the proven, easy, fancy pony market. Apples and Oranges obviously. Will give Mardi time to learn to chill, and hope for the best.

For the curious, here is OLD (June 2012) SHORT video link from last June when he was learning to jump.....I think it morphs into multiple clips...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--kQy...16oOA&index=17

Thank you all again for the time you have taken to reply!

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Dang, he is adorable, OP!!
    He is that!! Thanks supershorty628. (love the 'supershorty'!) Going to take the patience route with him.....

My friend has a superb pony that would be a fantastic Pony Jumper. However she can't even find someone to free lease her. Lol

Good luck with him though, I'm sure you'll figure it out.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

He looks very cute in the video!

Quote Originally Posted by EasterEgg View Post
    Do you know how many times I said "Oh shit!" when I watched the second one in the jump-off? At least five. That horse and rider must both have a set of steel cajones. That was unreal...in the best way possible! So much fun to watch.

ETA: OP it's a shame the pony doesn't want to be hunter...he's stunning! Super cute, love him! It's also too bad that I'm not looking for a horse right now cause it's not like I'd be too tall for him...
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Thank you Showjumper 28, MHM and DottieHQ!

Covelane - EMG has added a pony jumper class this year (for juniors)!
    Looks like they go on Fridays, in the Grand Prix ring. I am going to guess that there will be many looking forward to participating - if only to get their ponies into the GP.

Why doesn't this one want to be a hunter? Is the jumperness just the attitude? because the pony looks like it could be an adorable hunter with some more training and when it's not quite so green.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים