The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What is a GOOD Pony Jumper worth?

I am quite comfortable with pony hunter market, and have been fortunate to have a bit of success there, with lots hard work too . However, I have a very fancy/talented/brilliant large pony right now that I think will be very suited to the jumper ring. If he was a horse, I would be very excited lol!!

In Ontario, there is ZERO market for pony jumpers, so I do not have good 'reference'. What is the BEST CASE scenario, i.e. PEAK market value for a top pony jumper in U.S.? I have no idea.

I have done a bit of 'searching' on web, but not as easy to follow as the pony hunter market....as it is MUCH smaller, more niche. I realize that.

I have NO ILLUSIONS it is anything close to the Pony Hunter market, but I need to educate myself a bit. By the way, when I say BRILLIANT - I mean - unbelieveable jump, natural lead changes etc.. A living breathing 'ping pong ball' - Welsh/Connemara cross and GORGEOUS too..... He isn't an easy ride, but he is TALENTED

www.coventrylanefarm.com
    covelane@bellnet.ca

I'm not much help, but I'm pretty sure we would like to see pictures of said pony.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

2 members found this post helpful.

If I can figure out how to post them I will be HAPPY to do so! Will work on that!

Upated... Ok - I am NOT trying to 'sell' here and I do not want to upset mods - I am quite new to this board. However, for the curious there is one pic of him on our website (posted above) at VERY BOTTOM of "Hunter Breeding" tab. Mardi Gras. I don't have any other pics right now.
    Last edited by covelane; Mar. 27, 2013 at 08:25 PM.

Not much.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    Not much.
    What about eventers? The $ may not be there but there could be more of a market if he's big enough for a small adult.

Pony jumpers are, unfortunately, not worth that much. Even if they are a saint to ride and will jump the moon, it's hard to find a buyer simply because it's such a niche market. Most kids doing 3'6 jumpers are already out of ponies and onto horses. The other thing is that, because people know they can be a harder sell, people are less likely to look at them because they know that down the line they will likely struggle to sell the pony when they move up to a horse.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Eventing world is definitely an option. He could do a really nice dressage test. Thank you NC Rider.

Large bodied pony.

I remember enjoying watching the Pony Jumpers at Pony Finals, and I believe he could do that for certain with the right program, but just wondering what those Pony Finals quality jumpers sell for? If it is no more than a really good Eventing Pony, that is what I need to understand.

Thank you Ginger Jumper. I suspected same, but wanted to ask my U.S. friends. Ok, back to drawing board of seeing if we can make him happier hunter lol!

Back in the early 00's, before there was a PJ division, I rode a 14.1 Connemara in the Ch/AA jumpers at 3'6. We won just about everything. Sold him for $25,000 as he could also cross enter into the large pony hunters with some success.

That said I've been out of the show scene for a few years and I don't know what he or any other PJ would go for now.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I'm not really being useful, but I would like to point out one thing:
    That pony on your website, Mr. Bojangles? Yeah, he's super cute. And his name is just the cherry on top. Will he fit in an easter basket?
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Thank you Dani0303. I appreciate your reply. Interesting!

Ahhh, sweet Mr. Bojangles - can just eat that munchkin up. We love him dearly! Even sweeter to know, and work with than his pics/videos.

Thanks DottieHQ for the kind words. He MAY fit in an Easter Basket !! ....a big one.

There is just sadly no market for them. The winners you see at Pony Finals probably go for $25-45K, but that's only after they've gone to Pony Finals and proven they will do that height safely with a peanut on their back. Up until that part you can barely give the suckers away, ask 15K and hope for $7K.

It is, currently, the cheapest ticket on to the A circuit though... if the class fills.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

Thank you dags! That is very helpful information! I like ExchangeHunterJumper.com !!

If the market is really that poor for pony jumpers, there are also more and more small adults looking for pony dressage horses.

The dressage pony market isn't huge in the US yet, but there's at least a desire for ponies who are very nice....
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

He is very nice for sure. Fancy with lots of charisma. I have thought about that, but I thought I would ask about the jumper idea as he is such a super jumper.

So what is the green dressage pony market like in U.S.? There is a small market up here, but I am not in touch with it.

Thank you netg.

When I see what the kids do with pony jumpers in Europe, it just kills me that we have no pony jumper division here in the USA. I really believe in size-appropriate mounts and I think there's a ton of potential for the kids to have fun and really develop with a good division.

Sigh.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Amen poltroon. Same here in Ontario. Too bad, when it is done WELL, i.e., not just charging to the jumps (scary!), it is very fun to watch!

Pony dressage horses can go up to goos money if said pony is experienced and do well at the higher levels. I know one in my area that sold for 70k but was experienced carrying a child around a 3rd level test and could do some 4th but topped out there. If he is training level now and goes to some shows with decent scores with ability to go up to 4th then maybe 15k for the right person. Depends on scores and training.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Thank you rabicon. He has no formal dressage education, as I had purchased him to be a hunter, and may persist with that - but sounds like dressage may be a better option that the jumper route.

Just going to regroup on this fancy guy and do some thinking..... No urgency to 'unload' him. I just want to be a bit more informed of options in possible reality that he just doesn't want to lope around the hunter ring.

What I don't understand is why there is no pony jumper division for adults. Now THAT would probably fill.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

9 members found this post helpful.