The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PNW peeps

Still with us?
    http://news.msn.com/us/wash-landslid...ozens-of-homes

if memory serves me right, a few of you live on that island....

The Jenners is probably at work?

Stay safe people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I saw that, too, and thought of TheJenners. I am unfamiliar with Whidbey, so have no idea if this is near a "horsey" area of the island, or close to the Naval Air Station there. One bad thing about living in the land of steep terrain and lots of rain: things slide down hill!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I have relatives that live on South Whidbey - believe they are fine.
    I don't know where the Jenners are either.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Still with us?
    http://news.msn.com/us/wash-landslid...ozens-of-homes

if memory serves me right, a few of you live on that island....

The Jenners is probably at work?

Stay safe people!

I PMed TheJenners and she's okay. Scary stuff on the island today!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you. Glad to know they are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by showidaho View Post
    I PMed TheJenners and she's okay. Scary stuff on the island today!

All fine here, thanks all! Trust me, no one with horses can afford ocean view property on THIS island!

Crazy though, it was a weird night. I was off and spending rare time with DH, and our power went out, came on, went out, came on, went out... 10 min later came back on. No weather at all, no collisions either. This was right at 11pm, and then 410am part of the island tries to secede...
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

2 members found this post helpful.

have not been able to pin down the very exact location of this amazing landslide ( thank to the usual poor reporting these days) . Eight miles south of Coupeville but I cannot find any reference to Driftwood Way

That is a huge chunk of debris into Penn Cove (?) and if it is Penn Cove,a potential hit to the mussel farmers

Jenners was this on the east side or west side of the island.

edit to say I finally pinned it down thanks to the more precise reporting of the Whidbey Island press ( so take that Times and regional television)

overlooking Admiralty , not Penn so that is a smaller consolation. Lots of vacation and rental properties taken out. Found listings for vacation rentals along here.
    Last edited by hoopoe; Mar. 28, 2013 at 08:23 AM.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    All fine here, thanks all! Trust me, no one with horses can afford ocean view property on THIS island!

Crazy though, it was a weird night. I was off and spending rare time with DH, and our power went out, came on, went out, came on, went out... 10 min later came back on. No weather at all, no collisions either. This was right at 11pm, and then 410am part of the island tries to secede...
    well, they also mentioned sinkholes.

I guess the power lines are strained...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Sinkholes? Great. Like we need to be more in common with Florida than we are already...

Maybe all the news coverage will give us a bump in the housing market in a positive way and we can sell our house! Move off this crazy island and closer to I5! I don't want my horses to be eaten by alligators. Or sinkholes.

2 members found this post helpful.

Sinkholes? Great. Like we need to be more in common with Florida than we are already...

Maybe all the news coverage will give us a bump in the housing market in a positive way and we can sell our house! Move off this crazy island and closer to I5! I don't want my horses to be eaten by alligators. Or sinkholes.
    LOL, yeah, landslides will get your house sold!

and what the crap do you want near I5!

aside from the fact that it goes straight through to Mexico without many bridges and ferries....

(lived in Federal Way for a year)

Haaaa we are thinking Sno Co, not uber populated. I'll still be working, so I don't want to commute more than 1.5 hours. But closer to the Interstate would be great for going to rodeos (DH), shows (me) and getting business at our barn. DH retires in less than four years from his "real" job, and wants to go back to being a fulltime saddle bum. So we'll have boarding, training, etc, and location would help. This island is like....the earlobe of the country.

And c'mon...less people will want houses with a view now! So they'll look in town at my house! Right??

yes

especially the ones who's house is on the skids now

Pictures from someone else who does live there:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/0...dmiralty-Inlet

The Jenners: glad you're not affected and good luck getting your sale done, and soon!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What part of Snohomish County??
    Sadly it grows daily - with crappy traffic planning.
    If you have to commute from there every day - you have my sincerest sympathy.

Haaaa we are thinking Sno Co, not uber populated. I'll still be working, so I don't want to commute more than 1.5 hours. But closer to the Interstate would be great for going to rodeos (DH), shows (me) and getting business at our barn. DH retires in less than four years from his "real" job, and wants to go back to being a fulltime saddle bum. So we'll have boarding, training, etc, and location would help. This island is like....the earlobe of the country.

And c'mon...less people will want houses with a view now! So they'll look in town at my house! Right??

WOW

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Pictures from someone else who does live there:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/0...dmiralty-Inlet

The Jenners: glad you're not affected and good luck getting your sale done, and soon!

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    What part of Snohomish County??
    Sadly it grows daily - with crappy traffic planning.
    If you have to commute from there every day - you have my sincerest sympathy.
    Hoping for Stanwood/Arlington area, would take N Marysville too. We're looking, and there are places we like, but need to get my lovely house in town (that DH hates because it's "in town" (Oak Harbor, pop 25k+ )) sold first. Ideally rent for a year or so because I don't want us BOTH making the commute, in separate vehicles, for very long....but if we do, we do. Depends on how everything shakes out.

Hoping for Stanwood/Arlington area, would take N Marysville too. We're looking, and there are places we like, but need to get my lovely house in town (that DH hates because it's "in town" (Oak Harbor, pop 25k+ )) sold first. Ideally rent for a year or so because I don't want us BOTH making the commute, in separate vehicles, for very long....but if we do, we do. Depends on how everything shakes out.
    I'm 2 miles off 5 just south of the treefarm off the stanwood exit. What size-price range are you looking for?

Depending on the layout, probably a minimum of 10 to 15 acres if it's all useable and cleared, more if it's not. He originally wanted like 50 acres, but... this ain't Wyoming. I've been seeing stuff in the 30 acre range that's fairly affordable; we need to be able to afford/qualify for both the mortgage AND the construction loan for the barn + indoor arena. Oh, and a liveable non-trailer house would be nice (cough, my requirement, cough cough).

Love that area. Hope your house sells soon!!

North Star is up there in Arlington-part of Sylvan Farm-I think that's for sale.

Depending on the layout, probably a minimum of 10 to 15 acres if it's all useable and cleared, more if it's not. He originally wanted like 50 acres, but... this ain't Wyoming. I've been seeing stuff in the 30 acre range that's fairly affordable; we need to be able to afford/qualify for both the mortgage AND the construction loan for the barn + indoor arena. Oh, and a liveable non-trailer house would be nice (cough, my requirement, cough cough).